PDA

View Full Version : ULA Backpack Question

Lady Grey
02-22-2012, 11:44
I've been doing a lot of research in preparation for my half+ AT hike in 2013. I currently own a 2005 EMS backpack that's simply too heavy for the trek, and I'd like to purchase a backpack this year for my shakedown AT hike through CT and MA this summer. ULA and Osprey backpacks seem to get rave reviews on WhiteBlaze and I'd like to try them both out, but it looks as though ULA packs are only available through their website. Is this right? I hate to order one without having the opportunity to try it on locally, but it doesn't look as though our local outdoor gear stores sell ULA. I love the features of the ULA Catalyst - any thoughts?

Tenderheart
02-22-2012, 11:47
They are available at various outfitters. You may could call them and see who, in your area, carries them. The ULA Ohm 2.0 would be my choice.

Lady Grey
02-22-2012, 12:05
Good thought. I just called ULA and unfortunately there are no dealers in this area (Vermont); he said the closest dealer is Virginia! He did say that ULA offers a no questions asked return policy, so maybe I'll just go ahead and place an order...

bigcranky
02-22-2012, 12:52
One downside to ordering from the cottage gear manufacturers is just this - it's hard to look at the item before you buy it. But all of them have great customer service and return policies, and will work with you to get you the right gear. Most of my experience has been with ULA, Six Moons Designs, and Tarptent, and they have all been fantastic.

BTW I would recommend the Circuit, though that Ohm 2.0 looks nice if your gear volume and weight are small enough.

DLANOIE
02-22-2012, 12:59
You wont go wrong with ULA. Great service and great gear. I bought a pack from them in 2005 and still use it regularly today. Also Osprey, I have a daypack that I love. You can try out Osprey packs at just about any outfitter. The differences between companies is night and day IMO. Best of luck!

burger
02-22-2012, 13:11
Most cottage gear manufacturers have a good return policy (ULA's is here: http://www.ula-equipment.com/returns-and-exchanges.asp). When I bought my Circuit, I ended up needing a smaller pack size, and they sent me a new one with no problem. Email them if you're unsure.

BTW, folks above suggested the Circuit or Ohm. You should get a sense of how much volume the gear you're putting into your pack will take up before you choose the Catalyst over one of the smaller packs.

Miner
02-22-2012, 13:26
Send an email or calklk ULA about your gear and plans and they can help you choose the pack that is right for you. Before choosing a pack, know what your other gear is going to be so you know the volume and weight you are going to carry. Decide if you just want the pack for the AT or if there are other hikes with longer resupplies or the need for a bear can which could mean a larger pack.

peakbagger
02-22-2012, 16:12
ULA made me a custom pack stay so that I could disassemble it and roll it up in the pack and put it in my suitcase for no charge. I really like the circuit, it has a lot of features but I expect many thruhikers will end up thinking its too large once things warm up.

Bucho
02-24-2012, 13:51
BTW, folks above suggested the Circuit or Ohm. You should get a sense of how much volume the gear you're putting into your pack will take up before you choose the Catalyst over one of the smaller packs.
Also be careful of the amount of weight you're carrying, these aren't packs that should be overloaded.

What I did was to hike to Neals Gap with my old pack and buy a new one there as I wasn't willing to buy a pack site unseen.

STINGER1
02-24-2012, 14:42
I used an aether 70 on the pct up until Oregon. Used a gregory z55 for the remainder of pct and all of cdt. Have been using the ula ohm 2.0 now for about 1000 miles into my Florida-Maine hike this year and have loved it. It's way lighter than my previous packs which was what I wanted. I'd definitely recommend the ohm 2.0.
I know that at the pct kickoff people could try them on. Maybe at trail days you could get hands on with one.

turtle fast
02-24-2012, 15:22
Seriously, you can not go wrong with a ULA pack. Just be aware of how much room you need the Circuit or Catalyst may be what you are looking for. The Catalyst has more volume good for Spring and Fall weather when you need more room and the Circuit has always get good reviews.