PDA

View Full Version : Privy Question

hikerjohnd
03-22-2005, 11:23
I was surfing through the Signs pics and came across this one: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/1532/sort/1/size/medium/cat/515/page/ and was wondering about using a moldering privy.

I get the concept of do your business, toss in a handful of mulch and be happy - but I have a question about packing out the trash. Does Used TP constitute the trash? I certainly do not want to be responsible for some volunteer digging through the remains, but I'm a firm believer in TP breaking down in the environment. I've even switched to single ply (SINGLE PLY!!! :D) to further minimize impact.

Thanks for the info!
--John

papa john
03-22-2005, 11:45
There is a manual at appalachiantrail.org called "The Backcountry Sanitation Manual" and they make no mention of toilet paper. The manual has information about trash in general as well as urinating and throwing food into a mouldering toilet but no mention of the paper. I would think that it would be OK to leave the TP but could be wrong.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/protect/steward/sanman.html#sub1

PJ

Peaks
03-22-2005, 17:49
no requirement to pack out used TP when using the moultering privy.

plodder
03-22-2005, 18:40
How many times you gotta fold that single-ply?

hikerjohnd
03-22-2005, 20:54
How many times you gotta fold that single-ply?
I really try to use less than I do at home - but my tushie misses the Charmin! :jump

Brushy Sage
03-22-2005, 21:24
Toilet paper is ok in a mouldering privy.

Doctari
03-22-2005, 22:45
I love the mouldering privy idea. Almost no smell if used properly. Easy to use properly, do "the thing" drop in a few handfulls of leaves &/or bark. Much much much better than a pit toilet, ooooof. Even way better than a modern Port-a-potty type privy.

BTW: I'm an old farm boy, way used to doing my business in a pit toilet type outhouse.

Doctari.

Cuffs
09-24-2006, 17:20
Bringing an old thread to life again... anyone have directions to building a moldering privy? I would like to install one at my farm, since it will be a few years til I build my house and I dont like to fill up the RV tank...

Hikerhead
09-24-2006, 17:36
Bringing an old thread to life again... anyone have directions to building a moldering privy? I would like to install one at my farm, since it will be a few years til I build my house and I dont like to fill up the RV tank...

Go to the link provided by Papa John above.

Natchez
09-24-2006, 17:59

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/compostingtoilets.html

Tin Man
09-25-2006, 19:34
no requirement to pack out used TP when using the moultering privy.

Dang! Now you tell me. I have been wiping with the mulch before tossing it in and it is rough. :eek:

weary
09-25-2006, 20:54
Toilet paper is ok in a mouldering privy.
Toilet paper makes a mouldering privy moulder better.