PDA

View Full Version : Rock Ocean Shuttle Services

Rock Ocean
02-22-2012, 14:31
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get the word out on my shuttling services for this years hikers. Please checkout my website www.RockOcean.com (http://www.RockOcean.com) for more info.

See you in the mountains!

Ryan Welty

Rock Ocean
02-29-2012, 12:23
Here is my info soon to be added to the AT Shuttle List Page (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/at-shuttles-parking-vandalism-web-1-30-2012.pdf)

Rock Ocean Shuttle Services
Appalachian Trail/Atlantic Coast
(813) 347-2781
www.RockOcean.com (http://www.rockocean.com/)

Shuttles to the A.T for all - and the Atlantic Ocean for those thru hikers that surf.

April: Springer Mt. - Fontana Dam

May: Fontana Dam - Damascus
June: Virginia/Maryland
July: Pennsylvania/New Jersey/New York
August: Connecticut/Massachusetts/Vermont
September: New Hampshire
October: Maine

In need of a shuttle? If you are close to these areas around these times give
me a call.

If you are a thru hiker that surfs, and don't want to miss a hurricane swell

while on the trail. Keep in contact with Rock Ocean. We will pick you up
from the trail take you down to the ocean for a couple days of surf - then
back to the trail.

-Ryan Welty

Rock Ocean
03-09-2012, 15:22
Exactly one month until I head North to Springer Mountain to start my shuttle service. Also pleased to announce I am now listed on the ATC Shuttle List (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation)

As a count down to my departure from Tampa, FL. I would like to share my first hike along the AT for 40 days and 40 nights I did from Fontana Dam September to Mcafee Knob November in 2010:

-Ryan Welty aka Rock Ocean

Rock Ocean
03-13-2012, 13:32
Here is my new blog page, for once I leave on April 10th it will tell you my location along the trail. Starting tomorrow I will start building it from its birth on 10-10-10 along the AT. http://www.facebook.com/FreeRockOcean

max patch
03-13-2012, 13:41
Interesting concept.

However, unless you just won the lottery or are independently wealthy, i believe I'd change the whole "pay me what you think the shuttle is worth" pricing structure.

Rock Ocean
03-17-2012, 17:54
Hahaa yes that is what many people are saying - I believe that most hikers are really good honest people, some may pay more, some may pay less. And if it doesn't work out that way for the first month or week, its really easy to go the standard $1 a mile fare. Will just have to see how it goes.

Rock Ocean
03-24-2012, 19:52
17 days away until my start date, but I will not be able to start until I sell my other car. So if you know anyone interested here is a link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5623903-FS-1984-Rabbit-GTi-(Tampa-FL)-3000

Rock Ocean
04-05-2012, 11:35
Just 4 days now until I leave Tampa, FL for my Shuttling Adventure! My Facebook Blog is now live >>> http://www.facebook.com/FreeRockOcean <<< I started building this page from 10-10-10 which was when Rock Ocean was born - its a great way to get to know me. I will try to have an update on here of my location as much as possible. But do not hesitate to call me 813-347-2781 to see if I am able to give you a ride to the mountains or ocean.. or airport, train station, bus etc etc

Rock Ocean
04-09-2012, 11:39
Unfortunately due to me not selling my car in time to keep my original departure date of April 10th. I will have to postpone my shuttling services until April 16th - this will be a definite start date weather the car sells or not :- )

Rock Ocean
04-15-2012, 08:23
Heading up to the trail today - will be staying the night at the Hiker's Hostel and beginning shuttle services on Monday. :- )

See you in the mountains,

Ryan Welty

coach lou
04-15-2012, 08:36
I like the Van

Rock Ocean
04-22-2012, 09:05
I would like to thank all the hikers I have met so far for all the love and support! I am currently shuttling around the Smoky's call me if you need a lift: 813-347-2781 www.RockOcean.com

Rock Ocean
04-27-2012, 13:30
Currently in Hot Springs call me if you need a lift. 813-347-2781

Rock Ocean
04-28-2012, 18:54
Currently in Erwin call me if you need lift. 813-347-2781

MJW155
05-01-2012, 09:47
I used Rock Ocean 3x. Dude is awesome. If he's around, he'll def. pick you up. Highly recommend him.

Rock Ocean
05-04-2012, 11:11
Currently in Damascus and will be doing a lot of shuttling for hikers to and from the North and the South. Please try to make a booking if you can. Thanks for all the love once again!!

Rock Ocean
05-18-2012, 23:04
Sad to report that the van is currently down due to a leaking radiator. Should hopefully be fixed by Tuesday as I am waiting on it to arrive at the Country Corner gas station in Damascus. If your are able to donate some funds for this $500 repair I would greatly appreciate it.

generoll
05-19-2012, 23:53
Maintenance is a fact if life with shuttle vehicles. FWIW Every day that I shuttle I put away $20 for tires or incidental maintenance. First gas and then the tire fund. Typically, every $100 I take in is divided as follows. Gas $40
Tires $20
Pocket $40
It's no money maker so if you aren't having fun, go do something else.

Rock Ocean
05-24-2012, 21:25
Thanks for the tip - I am not in it to make money, just accepting donations to keep me shuttling all the way to Maine.

Got the radiator yesterday - and the final piece of the puzzle, the fan shroud will be here tomorrow morning!

Will be heading out to the Atlantic for the first surfing shuttle to Rodanthe, NC on the OBX - can wait to ride some waves and chill with some hiker's by the beach! :- )

Be back in the mountains on the 30th of May around Bland, VA. Give me a ring if you need a ride.

Rock Ocean
06-03-2012, 12:50
My first shuttling of hikers to the Ocean was foiled when the head gasket caused the van to overheat and we coasted into the Beech Grove Church parking lot greeted with smiles and pizza :- )

But the hikers Zig Zag, River, Kaboose, Jahmongee, Puddles, Brawney Man, and Croc decided to rent a van and take me to the ocean. So after returning I hope to have the gasket changed by Thursday and will be heading North to Harper's Ferry. Where I will more then likely be looking for a job in the DC area for a month to recoup some funds so I can continue to shuttle. Once again thank you to the hiker's for all the love and support.

See you up the trail !

RockOcean

coach lou
06-03-2012, 13:01
I really like your truck.

WingedMonkey
06-03-2012, 14:33
We use to have a term in the hospitality business of "bar hag". You seem to have taken on a new journey of "trail hag", following the hiker flow from south to north without actually getting off your backside and walking. There is probably a chance to write a book about that, if you can get it out before the last trail driver.

It's cool you are having such a great time. Maybe someday you will walk.

coach lou
06-03-2012, 16:43
We use to have a term in the hospitality business of "bar hag". You seem to have taken on a new journey of "trail hag", following the hiker flow from south to north without actually getting off your backside and walking. There is probably a chance to write a book about that, if you can get it out before the last trail driver.

It's cool you are having such a great time. Maybe someday you will walk.

I wish I had the time, money and vehicle to have a good time and cruise around the appalachians, meet folks, go to the NC shore. No PUDS & no MUDS. Sounds like a fun summer to me.
He's got a really cool truck!

Rock Ocean
06-10-2012, 12:42
Hahaa yes one day I am sure I will - but for now the mission is to drive around the world. And helping hikers get to where they need to go has been a great way to start my journey.

I changed the head gasket behind Machiavelli's Bar and Restaurant in Bristol, TN really great people in that town! (And the best pizza in the world)

Currently in Wanyesboro, VA shuttling again!! On Monday I am going to get the coolant flushed and put the new thermostat in so I can return to doing long distance shuttles. I am unfortunately down to $50 so I may have to go off trail for a month to live with a friend in DC and get a job so I can continue to Maine. I plan on driving the whole Skyline Drive to Front Royal in hopes of being able to stay on the trail. So if you need a ride give me a ring.

See you up the trail :- )

Rock Ocean
06-28-2012, 20:17
Unfortunately I have had to get off the trail for a month or so due to running very low on funds. If my van did not have the problems it had I would still be on the AT thanks to all the love and support from the hikers! I made it all the way to Harpers Ferry exactly two months since I started shuttling. The people I have met and the good times I have had are part of one of the most incredible experiences of my life :- )

I lucked out and scored a job my first day off the trail at the Kettler Capital Iceplex in Arlington, VA. I will be driving the Zamboni for the next month or so which will enable me to continue shuttling all the way to Katahdin!

Have a good hike and if you are coming into DC give me a ring,

Rock Ocean

813-347-2781

shelb
06-29-2012, 00:25
Good luck to you!!!

Rock Ocean
07-08-2012, 01:11
If anybody is in need of a shuttle around the DC area including the Shenandoah's and Harpers please call me a week ahead of time and I should be able to get off work to get you where you need to go.

Also doing shuttles to the Ocean, Ocean City and Assateague National Seashore. Which would be a nice break for any thru hiker that just hiked half the AT :- )

Rock Ocean/813-347-2781

Here are some photos from my first shuttle trip to the Ocean: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.326328754111305.72073.178362295574619&type=1

WingedMonkey
07-08-2012, 16:46
If anybody is in need of a shuttle around the DC area including the Shenandoah's

Where are these "Shenandoah's"? I can't find them on any map. I can't find them in any family historical records.

Yeah I know it's unimportant, but I'm trying to do my part of stopping this from become accepted usage (right next to the phrase "The Shennies").

10-K
07-08-2012, 22:00
Where are these "Shenandoah's"? I can't find them on any map. I can't find them in any family historical records.

Yeah I know it's unimportant, but I'm trying to do my part of stopping this from become accepted usage (right next to the phrase "The Shennies").

-----> :) <-----

Rock Ocean
07-18-2012, 19:32
I put in my 2 weeks notice today at my job at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex. I will be going out to Colorado for a friends wedding and when I return on August 8th I will be shuttling again on the Trail :- ) I plan to get back on in Harpers Ferry where I got off, and make my way North over a couple of weeks to the New York-Connecticut area. I hope everyone has been having a good hike and I can not wait to get back on the trail and see you all.

Rock Ocean
813-347-2781

coach lou
07-18-2012, 19:34
I put in my 2 weeks notice today at my job at the Kettler Capitals Iceplex. I will be going out to Colorado for a friends wedding and when I return on August 8th I will be shuttling again on the Trail :- ) I plan to get back on in Harpers Ferry where I got off, and make my way North over a couple of weeks to the New York-Connecticut area. I hope everyone has been having a good hike and I can not wait to get back on the trail and see you all.

Rock Ocean
813-347-2781

Are you bringing the truck, if not you can park it at my house............I really like your truck.

Rock Ocean
07-18-2012, 20:33
Of course I'm bringing the truck, how else would I shuttle hikers? I don't know about leaving it at your house - you and the van might not be there when I get back :- ) Would love to stop by, I will pm you when i'm around your area.

Mike2012
07-19-2012, 00:58
Nice to see you here Rock Ocean! I first met you in Erwin then again in Damascus where I did enjoy your shuttling and guide services. About to head to Harpers Ferry but no time for a surf safari this year. Not until I hit Katahdin anyway. Oh and I met hard rock. Hope to catch him and smokey. Stay free!
:banana
Mulligan

Rock Ocean
08-08-2012, 23:35
I will be getting back on the trail tomorrow morning at Harpers Ferry to provide shuttling services - after having to get off for 2 months due to running out of money. I have a shuttle on Friday the 10th from Jonestown, PA to Pen Mar. After that I will be heading up to Portland, Maine to meet a friend. On the 15th of August I will begin following the trail down back to the NY/NJ area over 9 days. I will be getting off for a few days to visit a friend in NYC for his birthday from the 24th thru the 27th. After that I will continue my shuttling services from NY all the way to Katahdin more then likely until heading back home to FLA on the 23rd of September. It has been an incredible journey thus far and I hope this second half will be even more amazing. So if you need a shuttle please give me a ring, because you never know how close I maybe. Have a good hike, and I hope to see you soon :- )

-RockOcean 813-347-2781

Rock Ocean
08-16-2012, 22:51
After flip-flopping Ridiculous from Harpers Ferry to Maine I am sad to report that my shuttling services are once again on hold due to the van possible needing a neu head, but hopefully just another head gasket. But of course once again I find myself in the hands of very helpful humans :- ) I am in Augusta, ME at Matts place the local car fixer. I am being fed I am cleaner then I have been in 6 days I have power in the van I have wifi, and most of all I have you. Thanks for the support.

One Love,

RockOcean

shelb
08-19-2012, 22:22
Hey Ryan - We were grateful for the shuttle service to PenMar before you headed for Maine! We made it back to our car at Lickdale in 8 days! Wishing you well and hope you get your van back on the road soon!

Rock Ocean
08-21-2012, 00:01
Good to hear that Shelly, your welcome. Turns out the head is bad and the pistons may be bad as well. Lucky for me my brother sells VW parts and I found the best mechanic in Maine that is letting me do all the work at his shop, and camp here! So hopefully I will be back on the trail shuttling again with a brand new engine in a couple of weeks. I was only 50 miles short of where Ridiculous needed to go - he decided to hike with a hiking buddy and he came and picked him up when the van broke down.

coach lou
09-02-2012, 16:48
Of course I'm bringing the truck, how else would I shuttle hikers? I don't know about leaving it at your house - you and the van might not be there when I get back :- ) Would love to stop by, I will pm you when i'm around your area.

I meant that I would look out for it while you were at that wedding.:rolleyes: But, I will find that Zamboni sticker for the van. When I find it, I'll PM you! Can you skate?

rjhouser
09-03-2012, 00:16
Rock Ocean, you gave me and Yoda a ride out of the SNP into Waynesboro... Thanks dude! you rock.