PDA

View Full Version : Chattooga River Trail ?'s

SouthMark
02-22-2012, 16:13
Where can I find a good map of the CRT other than the National Geo Map #778? Is there a guide book available? What is the trail distance from the beginning to Burrells Ford Road?

Thanks in advance

Mountain Dog
02-22-2012, 19:16
Contact John R Ray at 864-868-2794 or [email protected]. I have his map/trail guide for the Bartram and he includes a map of the CRT. He might have developed something like a trail guide just for the CRT

SouthMark
02-22-2012, 19:37
Thanks MD!

bwb49
02-22-2012, 19:52
Guide book : "Hiking Trails of the Southern Nantahala Wilderness, Ellicott Rock Wilderness, Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River" by Tom Homan, Peachtree Publishers

This book has excellent description of the Chattooga River Trail. It is broken down into 4 sections from US76 to Bad Creek Junction. It looks to be about 33 miles from US 76 to Burrells Ford Road, this is section 1-3.

Hope this helps

chiefiepoo
02-22-2012, 20:14
Looking for my map and guide book from about 15 years ago. Two trips from Bull Pen Rd to the end at US 76 for me back then. I was going to comment that the crossing of the west branch of the river near SC / GA 28 was a wet crossing, that could be waist deep but google maps clearly show a bridge like structure at that location now. Back then the guidebook called for a calf deep wet crossing. Turned out, following a storm, the crossing was about 3' deep with moving water. On the upper reaches of the CRT, south of Bull Pen Rd, the trail was sometimes under water following a storm and some bushwhacking or walking on rocks in the stream bed was necessary.