PDA

View Full Version : Good Light Down Booties

Transient Being
02-22-2012, 17:03
Thinkin' about picking up a pair. I've heard about the WM Flash Down booties....3 oz. each. Wanted to see if they're are any other brands out there that would be a good option.

Raul Perez
02-22-2012, 17:11
www.goosefeetgear.com

Ben will also make custom stuff for you if you ask. I have a pair of his down pants.

Franco
02-22-2012, 18:41
TB
WM has two types of low booties..
The Flash Down are about 3oz for the pair.
The Standard booties are just over 7oz (M) for the pair
A bit higher with a 2.5" high nylon skirt at the bottom making them a bit more usable outside the tent.
I like the internal heel strap, that helps in keeping them up when you walk.
Franco

Aquaman12
02-23-2012, 09:09
+1 on goosefeet

kayak karl
02-23-2012, 09:18
i had these http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Sierra-Designs-Men-s-Pull-On-Down-Bootie_10100881_10208_10000001_-1_ weighted 12 oz. worked good, but not to sleep with. i gotta check out the goosefeet w/the covers.

QiWiz
02-23-2012, 14:18
I have and like Feathered Friends down booties. There is an outer "boot" that you can wear around camp over the booties. Take off the outer boot when you get in your bag. XL pair only 9 oz including the outer boots. I think the inner boots might only be 4 oz the pair if you want to leave the outer boots at home. Nice and toasty and versatile.

Tinker
02-23-2012, 16:41
I have and like Feathered Friends down booties. There is an outer "boot" that you can wear around camp over the booties. Take off the outer boot when you get in your bag. XL pair only 9 oz including the outer boots. I think the inner boots might only be 4 oz the pair if you want to leave the outer boots at home. Nice and toasty and versatile.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html

I have some cheapo REI booties that weigh 11 ozs. I wear them around home almost every day in the winter. Absolutely no traction in the outsole whatsoever. I've accidentally skied a few feet from time to time using them to hit the bushes at night.
I'd probably buy another boot (inner boot with waterproof, removeable outer) if it had a thin sole with some type of lug pattern.

bamboo bob
02-23-2012, 17:07
I really don't get what the booties are for. A camp shoe? Walk to the water source in them. Winter use? They look good as house slippers but I really don't understand them. Please enlighten me.

dla
02-23-2012, 17:10
I use a pair of Sierra Designs down booties. They have grip dots on the hard outsole. Work great for nature calls at night.

dla
02-23-2012, 17:15
I really don't get what the booties are for. A camp shoe? Walk to the water source in them. Winter use? They look good as house slippers but I really don't understand them. Please enlighten me.

They are nice when it is really cold. Keep my feet toasty. Used mine more when I relied on a marginal sleeping bag. I don't need them in my hammock setup.

swjohnsey
02-23-2012, 17:18

Depends. The real light down booties are designed to sleep in. The heavier ones might actually walk around in.

I have some 3 oz ones I use to extend the range of my sleeping bag.

Franco
02-23-2012, 17:49
That was my dilemma..
Get the very light (3oz per pair...) for inside the tent or have a pair that I can walk with outside.
(keep in mind that walk outside means a few paces from the tent , that is for cooking or having a pee not "walking")
And if it isn't all that obvious , they are meant for below 32f , IE no rain about...
I still have to wear mine inside the sleeping bag for more than about 30 min or so because my min temp has been around 17f so too warm for me for all night use.
The FF way (as described by QiWiz could be the best solution and GooseFeet has something like that too.
(BTW, at anything under 20f or so, sleeping with a light down jacket/pants and booties (or socks for me so far...) and a lighter bag (like the WM Summerlite ) can be a weight efficient solution (because you use the down clothing at camp) and works particularly well for fiddling in the tent as well as for the inevitable nature call)
Franco

Tinker
02-23-2012, 19:34

Good for hanging around the shelter while talking to your buddies, then for the walk back to the tent/hammock. A liner/outer is better because you can leave the dirty liner outside of the tent and wear the clean booties into the bag. It's nice to have warm feet in the winter. For a thruhike? No. Unless it's for very early starters who will send them home later.

hpowers
02-23-2012, 21:09
+1 on the Feathered Friends

QiWiz
02-24-2012, 13:17

In the winter, my feet in trail runners are warm enough when I'm moving, but start to get cold when I get to camp. Put the down booties on and now I have toasty feet in camp and toasty feet in my bag when I take the outer boots off. See my post above re Feathered Friends booties. All this comfort for about the weight of a cup of water. If a campfire is made, I can prop the trail runners on sticks a safe distance from the fire and dry them out for a more comfortable start the next morning. I do not bring down booties the other three seasons, but I'm a year-round backpacker.

Kerosene
02-24-2012, 16:04
I really don't get what the booties are for. A camp shoe? Walk to the water source in them. Winter use? They look good as house slippers but I really don't understand them. Please enlighten me.Some of us suffer from a lack of circulation in the footsies. This is my luxury item!
Oh, and +1 on Goosefeet!

Transient Being
02-25-2012, 14:23
ok, on the goosefeet, it says overfill recommended with the option of 25, 50, 75 or 100% overfill with a 4, 7, 10, or 13 $ additional charge, respectively. Any suggestions on that? Too many options, arrgggh.

Megapixel
02-25-2012, 14:32
talk to ben on the overfill...he'll fill you in. all puns intended.

goosefeet are super nice and made really well... i'm enjoying mine!

Transient Being
02-25-2012, 16:11
lol, thanks.

LIhikers
02-28-2012, 00:11
Another + for the Feathered Friends, 2 piece design.

Abela
02-28-2012, 05:01
+1 for the Feathered Friends, for no other reason than the outter shell has the best sole of the others out there, for those 2am trips in snow, rain or whatever. The outters do weight a bit though.

I use mine to allow me to push a sleeping bag down to a colder temp range (along with other gear of course), as well as when I go without a sleeping bag/quilt and use down clothing instead (which I am preferring more and more these days).