PDA

View Full Version : G4 volume packing help

HT1
02-22-2012, 17:30
I知 using a Gossamer Gear G4 pack, and hammock hanging, I have my base down to 22 Lbs. following advice from GG and HH I知 placing sleeping gear in the Hammock and stuffing it to the bottom of the pack, with the tarp in a set of snakeskins on top. When I press this down it takes up about 1/3 of the pack, by the time I have the pack half filled, it has lofted up, and I知 running out of space,

I知 afraid to really bear down on the poky/pointy items like stove, stakes and windscreen, and I would like to have my food not all be flat & crushed. Any packing hints?
Also what are the best things to keep in the exterior pockets, I know that will be a matter of opinion, but I知 fishing for ideas.

Thanks in advance

V/r HT1

BTW I'm leaving NOBO FEB 29 so I have winter gear

Calculator
02-22-2012, 18:58
I used a G4 on my thru last year, and I preferred keeping my gear in stuff sacks for organization and compression purposes. My winter gear still managed to fill the thing pretty full with 5 days of food. As to the exterior pockets I organize mine like this: tent on one side (keeps the often wet tent away from my gear I want to keep dry); water stuff on the other side (2L platypus, gatorade bottle, polar pure); camp shoes, guidebook, smokes, snacks, and other odds and ends I like to have during the day in the big back pouch. I'd also hang wet socks from one or the other side with shock cord when drying them out. Hope some of this helps and good luck!