PDA

View Full Version : Who is your Tailored made company for your thru-hike?

Kookork
02-22-2012, 23:17
Some thru hikers plan to hike alone while some others plan to hike it by one or more company.

Some who plan alone end up hiking with somebody and some who plan to hike with company(s) end up hiking it alone.

Some hike with their dog as their only company and some hike switching from being alone to having company(s) in some stretches along the way.

Some wont hike without a company and some wont attempt if there is a company.

If you have a choice to pick your potential company from a huge and diverse group of hikers who would be your tailor made company?

Do you prefer a company in your age range? Do you like him/her to be older? Younger? Much Younger?

More experienced? Less experienced?

Do you prefer the same gender or the opposite?

Do you like him/her to be Alpha?

Joker?

Funny?

Serious?

Talkative or silent and listener?

Do you prefer the one that pushes you or the one that adapts to your abilities/disabilities?

Do you want somebody exactly like you or totally different?

Do you prefer a close relative or a complete stranger?

. . . . . .

. . . . . .

Who is your tailor made company of hiking?

Storm
02-22-2012, 23:57
Dang, you got too much time on your hands, where do you come up with these questions.

Derek81pci
02-23-2012, 00:05
Someone is bored :D

I don't really care about having company, however, i will quicken my pace or slow down to have compoany thru Virginia. Lots of shady goings-on in that area as of late. I'd prefer a big ass body builder with biceps the size of my head to scare off any creeps LOL. I'm sure I'll be fine without the Governator.

Kookork
02-23-2012, 01:17
Someone is bored :D

I don't really care about having company, however, i will quicken my pace or slow down to have compoany thru Virginia. Lots of shady goings-on in that area as of late. I'd prefer a big ass body builder with biceps the size of my head to scare off any creeps LOL. I'm sure I'll be fine without the Governator.

I have always got bored super fast my whole life. I have changed my carrier many times not since I have not been good at them but because I mastered them too fast( excluding Medicine which I never took it serious). the exception has been connection with nature which has manifested differently in different periods of my life, walker,hiker, hunter, avid angler, climber , rock climber(short time), canoe traveller(still LOVE it), and again returning to hiker.

I do my best to have an effect (ven if it is not very good r even bad)on whatever I am in touch with and tire out my relentless mind by thinking out side the box. Sometimes the result is bad, sometimes good and sometimes excellent .

Don't you get bored of reading neutral (and many times beatn to death) threads over and over again?(Honest question BTW)?

Firefighter503
02-23-2012, 13:15
I don't have any real preference for who I hike with, but I do prefer to hike with other people. I enjoy the random conversations about anything with strangers, if they are so inclined. I also don't mind hiking alone, or in silence with other hikers.

My favorite kind of person to hike with though, is someone who moves slower than me. It gives me a reason to slow down, and look around more (which I am admittedly bad at while hiking alone).

Lone Wolf
02-23-2012, 13:23
drinkers, blue- blazers. heathens in general

BrianLe
02-23-2012, 14:01
Experience is the huge factor; no way would I start hiking on a long distance trail with someone who hasn't already done a thru-hike. Even better, someone I hiked with on a long-distance trip before.
Not too concerned about any of the other factors.

Okay, except for the "Do you like him/her to be Alpha?" question, which sort of makes my skin crawl.
If starting a thru-hike with others I like to agree (more commonly, the already-experienced hikers all just sort of assume) that if at some point it no longer makes sense to hike together, you say fond farewells and keep going separately.

Red Hat
02-26-2012, 01:22
Anyone who will hike with an old lady and can go at my speed... which isn't too fast, but not too slow either. I want them to be fun, not gripey. Age and gender matter very little to me, although it usually does to them. In 2010, I hiked much more alone than with folks. But I usually met up with folks at the end of the day.

Lucky me, I found a great hiking partner not too long ago. We've done the John Muir Trail, and plan to do lots more hiking this year.

Storm
02-26-2012, 11:29
drinkers, blue- blazers. heathens in general

But I thought you didn't like thru hikers. LOL

Deadeye
02-26-2012, 12:29
I'd rather hike alone, but it's great to meet folks at the end of the day for some talk, stories, etc. before I move on to camp.

Mountain Mike
02-26-2012, 13:30
As long as they carry more than their share of the gear & drink less than their share of the booze it don't rally matter to me.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2012, 16:01
One of the girls Spooks uses for Avaters would be nice - even if I had to carry her hair drier! But definately not with the guy with the screwdriver through his nose!

rocketsocks
02-26-2012, 16:24
drinkers, blue- blazers. heathens in generalJesus hung with these people as well.

rocketsocks
02-26-2012, 16:26
One of the girls Spooks uses for Avaters would be nice - even if I had to carry her hair drier! But definately not with the guy with the screwdriver through his nose!You mean that corny dog looking thing was an ice pick?