PDA

View Full Version : Hammock or Tent???

Drifting Sparrow
02-23-2012, 09:34
So, i was thinking of using a hammock instead of a tent for my SOBO thruhike this year. I thought it might be lighter, maybe faster to set up, and closer to nature. Also, im hoping its cheaper. My only concern is:

What about wild animals? Couldnt they just... Walk right into/up to the hammock?

Also, what if i am unable to find a good set up spot??

Nutbrown
02-23-2012, 09:42
There are many pros and cons. Search for the topic and you will find a plethora of opinions.

moongoddess
02-23-2012, 09:46
Definitely not an expert on hammocks, but my understanding is that some setups can be used on the ground (like a bivy sack) if you find yourself in a place where you can't hang.

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2012, 09:50
There is no such thing as not finding a good spot for both - there is a lot of technique, with a hammock if you cannot find two trees at the right distance near a stream - just keep going for a little bit... If completely unavailable you can pitch on the ground and use most like a tent or just pull the tarp and two hiking poles or branches. An advantage to Hammocks is not being on rocky ground, being able to stand up, use a lazy boy, less toss and turn wile sleeping. And most important in downpours not waking up floating on six inches of water.

Hooch
02-23-2012, 09:56
So, i was thinking of using a hammock instead of a tent for my SOBO thruhike this year.Great idea. Let's explore further.

I thought it might be lighter. . . .It can be. Very light setups, including hammock, tarp and quilts can be had.

. . . . maybe faster to set up. . . . I can be, depends on whatkind of tent you are used to setting up and wha tkind of hammock setup you get. Most folks, with practice, can get set up very quickly, especially in inclement weather.

. . . . and closer to nature. . . . .I like to think so.

What about wild animals? Couldnt they just... Walk right into/up to the hammock?They could, but probably won't. In my years of hammocking, the "worst" animal encounter I've had was waking up and seeing a deer staring at me. Definitely no danger there.

Also, what if i am unable to find a good set up spot???Unless you're above treeline, this is highly unlikely. All you need is 2 healthy trees, about 12-15 feet apart. doesn't matter if there are roots underneath, unever ground, etc. You're off the ground so you don't need to worry about that kind of thing at all.

There is lots of information here, but more at Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.com). Just search around and you're sure to find what you need to know. If not, just ask questions. Someone will answer them.

Either way you decide to go, good luck on your hike.

Six-Six
02-23-2012, 10:25
A tent is a bear burrito.
A hammock is a bear pinata.

If a bear wants in, he's coming in. Don't worry about the animals,............. except the mice. In that case, a hammock is a better choice. See? Question answered.

Chop
02-23-2012, 11:16
Agreed with the above... Don't worry about the animals..

I used a hammock going sobo this past year. Loved it. Switched to pad and shelter hopping/tarping using my hammock tarp after Damascus because of cold...

Slept great, was well rested, had no problem finding places to hang the whole way....and I am fairly picky about hammock sites.

hammock_hanger
03-04-2012, 23:27
Hammock...Hammock...Hammock.... By trade I work on computers so I am hunched over the desk and have developed lower back issues. I sleep in a hammock when I hit the trail and no matter how much I ache after the trek, no matter how sore I am from gathering and processing the wood, I am 100% well rested and pain free in the morning after having slept in a hammock.

Think about this. In a tent, you sleep on the ground so you MUST find a large enough spot on the ground for the tent floor (footprint) with no rocks, roots, twigs, and the most important part... LEVEL GROUND. Even then you are sleeping on the ground regardless of what kind of pad you are using. There are more pressure points on the ground than your mattress at home.

But in a hammock, it is like sleeping on a cloud. there are no pressure points -at least for me there are none. So in a hammock, once you find that sweet spot where you are lying at the angle of your preference, you will rest so peacefully.

Now that you found your sweet spot, you need to be warm. You will need some sort of pad or UQ (Underquilt). Most us that have tried both, opt for the UQ. It has been my experience that when I slept on a pad, the pad and my sleeping bag slipped all over the place and I actually ended up with parts of my backside having no insulation. With an UQ you are insulated from the outside so you don't slip around.

I think you will be more comfortable and warmer in a hammock. Last March we were on Springer Mtn and the temp dropped to 15*. One of the guys in our group froze where we in our hammocks were nice and toasty. I was actually 70* in my sleeping bag. I had a thermometer on my watch.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

Tinker
03-05-2012, 00:43
I have both, and I would recommend that, unless you've done homework and experimentation, a tent is easier to stay warm in in cold, windy weather. A silnylon tarp big enough to cover a hammock and anchor to the ground to minimize the effects of cold wind will weigh around 18 oz, and will still be draftier than a tent, so there is a weight penalty for winter warmth in a hammock vs. a very light tent.

In warm to cool weather (especially in rain) you can't beat a hammock. Only the fly will get wet if you're careful. No muddy floor or crawling through a muddy vestibule. When you need to get up, you just throw your legs over the side and stand up. The cooling night breezes on an otherwise hot summer evening wrap around your body which otherwise would be on a non-breathable (and likely insulated) pad on the ground. The most ventilated tent in the world can't hold a candle to the average hammock for summer comfort.

Nutbrown
03-05-2012, 09:51
A big reason I like the hammock is all of my stuff is off the ground. Your pack can be hung, and it should be empty when you have everything set up...for the most part. I have a small peice of plastic for a ground cloth for under. I even hang my shoes off the ridge line. The tarp can be set up for rain nice and low, or moved out a bit for a roof to cook under. There is no crouching if you don't want to.

The sleeping takes practice, but I think it does for a tent as well. Whenever I tent, it seems that I am sliding one way or another the entire night, even if the ground is as flat as I can find. Either tent or hammock will leave you with a few sleepless nights until you either get used to it or until you hike yourself into a sleepy stupor.

KnotHere
03-05-2012, 12:31
I have just switched to a hammock and many years of tenting. I do like it much better for backpacking but I will say, practice, practice, practice. It takes a while and some experimenting to find out what works for you. I have spent several nights in 32* temps trying to figure out the combinations of clothing, pads, and quilts to make it suitable for me. Aside from the superfast setup/breakdown, and versatility of places to use it, I can actually get out in the morning without the stiff back syndrome. Some mornings I could barely crawl out of tent.

gunner76
03-05-2012, 20:42
A tent is a bear burrito.

A tent is bear fortune cookie not a burrito

I vote for the hammock

kennybrae
03-05-2012, 21:08
i used one in a jungle setting for about three months. It was the only way i could stay dry through the monsoons. I didn't enjoy sleeping on my back all the time but I was dry. I'll be sleeping on the ground in my Zoid 1 when I start my thru in April.

singing wind
03-05-2012, 21:41
Since I hike in an area where hammocking can be just plain difficult, I recently added 2 tieouts to my hammock fly so I can camp on the ground when necessary. Using the hammock as a bivy also makes for great wind protection and extra warmth on the sleeping bag. If it's warm out I keep the netting side up and if it's windy or cold just flip it around.

The whole system works great and now there's the option of having the best of both worlds. Just my 2 cents...

You'll know what works best for you and your own hiking style.

JaxHiker
03-07-2012, 11:20
I like the flexibility of being able to stop anytime I want regardless of terrain. Nothing but rocks under your feet? No problem. Raining? No problem. Just throw the tarp up first and stay dry while setting up. Can't say that about a tent. Want a comfy seat for your lunch break? No problem. Set the hammock up in <5 min and relax.

bamboo bob
03-07-2012, 11:26
As you can see, tents are a kind of shelter - hammocks are a kind of religion. :)

1azarus
03-07-2012, 12:02
As you can see, tents are a kind of shelter - hammocks are a kind of religion. :)

Amen, brother.

nufsaid
03-07-2012, 13:11
So, i was thinking of using a hammock instead of a tent for my SOBO thruhike this year. I thought it might be lighter, maybe faster to set up, and closer to nature. Also, im hoping its cheaper. My only concern is:

What about wild animals? Couldnt they just... Walk right into/up to the hammock?

Also, what if i am unable to find a good set up spot??

I prefer a hammock. Some prefer tents. A hammock setup is not necessarily cheaper or lighter than a tent. In some environments it is easier to find a tent spot, in others it is easier to find a hanging spot. When trees are available I have found a plethora of great places to hang that would be terrible choices to tent. If you plan to camp in treeless areas a tent is superior.

nufsaid
03-07-2012, 13:15
i used one in a jungle setting for about three months. It was the only way i could stay dry through the monsoons. I didn't enjoy sleeping on my back all the time but I was dry. I'll be sleeping on the ground in my Zoid 1 when I start my thru in April.

Hope you enjoy your hike with a tent. Nothing wrong with that. Just want to let you know that you don't have to sleep on your back in a properly hung camping hammock.

Nutbrown
03-07-2012, 13:49
Just want to let you know that you don't have to sleep on your back in a properly hung camping hammock.

I'm not a professional, but I do have to disagree. Yeah, there are ways to NOT sleep on your back, but for the most part, that is how you end up. It is a bit of a struggle to sleep on your side, even though it IS possible. So for those that are 100% side/stomach sleepers, a hammock would not be favorable.

nufsaid
03-07-2012, 15:12
I'm not a professional, but I do have to disagree. Yeah, there are ways to NOT sleep on your back, but for the most part, that is how you end up. It is a bit of a struggle to sleep on your side, even though it IS possible. So for those that are 100% side/stomach sleepers, a hammock would not be favorable.

I sleep on my side in a hammock quite frequently. You may note that I said in a properly hung camping hammock. I can't speak for stomach sleepers.

gunner76
03-07-2012, 18:13
I have no problem sleeping on my side in my BlackBird hammock. If you can only sleep on your stomach then you need a bridge hammock, not a gathered end hammock.

Hooch
03-09-2012, 06:35

I dunno about all of that, now. I sleep on my side exclusively and have used a hammock for almost 6 years. I'm always comfortable and always sleep well. Sleeping on your stomach is another matter. As Gunner previously mentioned, a bridge hammock, not a gathered end hammock, is optimal for achieving the flat lay necessary for stomach sleepers.

Grits
03-09-2012, 07:00
I have always used a tent and have recently decided to hammock camp. The big factor was quality of sleep. I will not save any weight from my tent but I do sleep so much better. Learn before you make the jump into hammock camping. It will mean less money spent on learning systems and you will just sleep so much better. A good place to start are with Shug's videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
Good luck have fun
HYOH

Grits
03-09-2012, 07:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0

hope this works :rolleyes:

RedBeerd
03-09-2012, 07:39
Last summer I gave a hammock a shot. It just wasnt for me. I feel like they limit you to just sleeping. I personally enjoy the "homey" feel to a tent!

JAK
03-09-2012, 07:43
How about just the tree...
http://www.wallpaperhd.org/thumbs/787_2.jpg

daddytwosticks
03-09-2012, 08:05
Last summer I gave a hammock a shot. It just wasnt for me. I feel like they limit you to just sleeping. I personally enjoy the "homey" feel to a tent!
Agree 100%. Tried a hammock on and off for over a year. I toss and turn so much when I sleep, plus I never got over the "learning curve". Hammocks seem very fussy to me. I envy those who mastered the hang. It was so nice setting up camp anywhere there were two trees. :)

Hooch
03-09-2012, 09:58
How about just the tree...
http://www.wallpaperhd.org/thumbs/787_2.jpgHow about you sticking with something you know about. Which, according to you, is everything else. :rolleyes:

JaxHiker
03-09-2012, 11:42

I don't think they're just for sleeping. I use mine as a chair a lot. I'll kick back and read while sitting in it sideways. I've seen them used as tables while straddling them. Think outside the tent. ;-)

kayak karl
03-26-2012, 07:47
if you weren't a spammer i'd believe what you say. go back to the poetry:D

RedBeerd
03-26-2012, 08:34
I gave the hammock a shot but ended up back in a one man UL tent. A tent feels like a little home away from home for me. A hammock feels like a place to sleep and thats it. To each his own!

rocketsocks
03-26-2012, 09:06
if you weren't a spammer i'd believe what you say. go back to the poetry:D
He sure is a long winded somabe,not like the TV "Computer guy" that says "Try my Product".