PDA

View Full Version : backflushing a sawyer 3-way in the field?

Carl Calson
02-23-2012, 10:34
does anyone have any experience with this? just got mine and the instructions really only cover using a faucet attachment. I was thinking about just using an extra bladder with filtered water and letting gravity do the rest. i'm not sure if the water pressure from gravity alone would suffice, but i could squeeze it to increase pressure.

any other ideas?

RevLee
02-23-2012, 11:35
I've got a Platypus gravity filter and have had good luck just backflushing about a quarter liter after every use. Then every week or two in town I do a full backflush with bleach water just by gravity.

Spokes
02-23-2012, 11:39
May not really be an issue. You could always wait until town stops to back flush (about every week or so). As long as you know how to dip water properly and don't act like an elephant at the source you'll be fine.

Oh, pack a backup water treatment option just in case. You never know, some pretty girl hiker may ask to borrow some....

Bucho
02-24-2012, 13:42
Are you using it as a gravity filter or inline?

SunnyWalker
05-14-2012, 21:53
The Sawyer website says to use the big "syringe" they include along w/filyered water.
Sawyer.com

Odd Man Out
05-14-2012, 22:30
The Sawyer website says to use the big "syringe" they include along w/filyered water.
Sawyer.com

Since they recommend the syringe, I don't see why squeezing the clean water bladder to force water back through the filter wouldn't work.