PDA

View Full Version : Big Agness Air Core non insulated pad is this going to be ok for a thru hike

birdygal
02-23-2012, 16:36
I really don't want to purchase another pad will I be ok with an uninsulated one. I have only used it in August, I will be tenting and have a 800 down 15 degree bag . I will be leaving the end of March

Tinker
02-23-2012, 16:45
Sure. Just buy a 3/8" closed cell foam pad to put on top for insulation. You don't need to cover the whole mattress. You can save a few ounces by putting your empty pack on top of the mattress under your feet and legs. The foam pad also provides protection for your Big Agnes when placed underneath, but it won't provide good insulation that way.

Bags4266
02-23-2012, 17:31
you will be cold without a closed cell on top

Barbarosa
02-26-2012, 15:36
A closed cell addition for a weekend trip is an ok workaround, for a thru hike its unnecessary weight, space and complication. A pad with some r value would be a good investment imo.

mikec
02-26-2012, 16:23
I've used a Big Agnes Air Core 3/4 length pad on some section hikes. It's light and has kept me warm at night. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it makes noise when you move around on it. I've had other hikers complain to me about it during the night.

rocketsocks
02-26-2012, 16:34
I really don't want to purchase another pad will I be ok with an uninsulated one. I have only used it in August, I will be tenting and have a 800 down 15 degree bag . I will be leaving the end of MarchAwhile back someone posted;using a windshield cover(the kind with the mylar sheeting on it)under your non-insulated pad would help.I too have a BA uninsulated air core and that is my plan....cause I'm cheap,though I haven't tried it yet.

Creek Dancer
02-26-2012, 17:20
I have tried this and it does work. But I put the windshield cover between me and the pad. But it might also work between the pad and the ground.

Tinker
02-26-2012, 22:22
I have tried this and it does work. But I put the windshield cover between me and the pad. But it might also work between the pad and the ground.

Putting the item with the higher R value closest to your body works best. Pad on top for heat, on the bottom to minimize punctures.

Re: Insulated air mats - if you get a leak you lose both your cushion and your insulation. If you use closed cell foam on top and you get a leak, you only lose your comfort, not your insulation.

Blissful
02-26-2012, 22:26
Agree, you will be cold.

rocketsocks
02-27-2012, 09:42
Good advise,thanks for da tip.:sunstay warm.