PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

JonnoWeir
02-24-2012, 00:51
I have limited knowledge about the PCT and have some questions I'd like answered, as I would love to do some hiking.

I'm a 20 year old guy from Australia currently living up in BC and have a free month between March 15 and April 17 and would love to use that time to hike a portion of the PCT.

Firstly I would like to know whether many people hike alone, and whether this recommended.

Also from what I've read this obviously isn't the necessarily the desired time of year, as there would still be snow in parts and would still be very cold. Do people still hike around that time. Would I be better off getting further down the trail via some sort of transport rather than beginning from the US/Canada border?

Is there any extra gear needed when hiking through the snow apart from warmer clothes? (Haven't experienced much snow hiking in Australia..)

Thanks so much in advance.

fiddlehead
02-24-2012, 07:25
Most likely, there will be way too much snow to find the trail before May/June/July.
So, I don't think you can hike anywhere on the PCT in northern CA/OR/or WAshington at that time.
Southern CA, is the only thing that doable that time of year IMO on the PCT.

Maybe some parts of southern MT on the CDT. (south of Lincoln) Depending on snow levels this year.

Try the PCT-l for more information on current snow levels but be aware that snow lays in the gullys and can be iced over and dangerous to traverse on the PCT as it traverses some steep slopes. At the very least, have an ice ax and know how to use it. In-step crampons are a good idea too.

If you have no snow travel experience, better to wait or go to AZ or southern A

BFI
02-24-2012, 08:53
Fiddlehead is right, way too much snow. Also consider avalanche danger in March and April, Heavy Wet snow falls and rain in the mountains will cause a lot of snow to slide off the Mt. Passes. Manning Park office may be a place to call for snow conditions in the back country. If you do start in Manning be careful. I lived in BC for 40 years and have experienced its best and worst and March is not a time I would want to be in the back country, alone.... Head South

Avo@HTG
02-24-2012, 09:13
The snow is still falling at 3,000 feet in Washington but you may be able to complete parts of the PNT out near the coast. The Arizona Trail might be a good place to be if you really want to hike a reasonable distance in one direction. My lady and I live in Bellingham, WA let us know if we can be any help.

[email protected]

garlic08
02-24-2012, 10:02
There could be unconsolidated snow at that time of year, necessitating some kind of flotation--skis or snowshoes--which could take much more time and energy, if you manage to avoid avalanche. Just falling into a tree well in the Cascades at that time of year could take a half hour to self-extricate and a half day's worth of energy. Stream crossings are another story. Picture two-meter high vertical walls of snow on each bank and you have to engineer a staircase down and then back up again, with fast icy water at the bottom. Lots of work for one person.

Definitely consider the Arizona Trail, but it's pretty remote and the transportation may be more than you want to consider. And it presents its own challenges with desert travel, but you may be more familiar with that. In the time you have available, you could cut 150 miles off each end and hike, say, from Tucson to the Grand Canyon south rim, making logistics much easier. Public transport is available from the Canyon back to Tucson.

Malto
02-24-2012, 12:24
If your heart is set on the PCT then maybe start at Campo (Mexican Border) and head north. You could still hit snow in SoCal but you could go through or around. There would be a few early thru hikers at that time but you will see many people going solo. I didn't hike with anyone for the first 1000 miles.

BFI
02-24-2012, 21:19
You might want to consider the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island. Starts in Port Renfrew and travels up the west side of Van Island to Bamfield. Approx 5-7 days. There’s a couple of suspension bridges, a couple of self pull cable cars, lots of ladders, and miles of beach access and beach camping.
At Bamfeild you can catch the “Lady Rose” a small (daily)freighter and take it to Port Alberni, then catch a bus up to Port Hardy and hike to the northern tip of the Island to Cape Scott. That ought to consume at least a couple of weeks. This time of year you won’t have the swarms of hikers that are there in summer.

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2012, 21:29
From one Aussie to another BC stands for British Columbia - are you moving there temp or give us more detail... I agree with the above posts.