PDA

View Full Version : Recomended Water filtration System?

HikeME
02-24-2012, 10:01
I am looking at the MSR Hyperflow (http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/fast-and-light-water-treatment-and-hydration/hyperflow-microfilter/product), but since I'm a noob at this I was sure how these ranked among the others.

thanks!

C

Rasty
02-24-2012, 10:04
I thought about the Hyperflow also but read many complaints about it clogging after only a few gallons

mkdixon
02-24-2012, 10:30
I have the Hyperflow and have not had any issues with it. I think it's one of the better filters on the market.

Spokes
02-24-2012, 10:42
Lotta hikers going gravity. Consider the Sawyer 3 Way if you do:

http://www.sawyer.com/SP121.htm

I've never had any luck with MSR "water" stuff. I ditched filtration years ago in favor of AquaMira.

Blissful
02-24-2012, 11:49
Aqua Mira is also a good choice.

Ender
02-24-2012, 11:53
I've been using bleach for years now, and it's worked great. The MSR Sweetwater purifier solution has the perfect sized bottle, and can (and should) be refilled every spring with new bleach.

http://www.rei.com/product/671113/msr-sweetwater-purifier-solution-2oz

Juice
02-24-2012, 12:00
A friend had problems with the Hyperflow clogging from tannic acid and back flushing didn't help much. MSR sent him a new filter but he and his wife had already switched to a different system so he gave me the Hyperflow. The plastic connection on the clean end cracked on me pretty quickly. Aqua Mira for me now!

STINGER1
02-24-2012, 12:04
Pumps break all the time. Aqua Mira is expensive and uses 2 bottles. I'd recommend getting a clear eyes bottle for 3 bucks and filling it with bleach. Super light and bleach is available everywhere. 2 drops per liter, I put 3 its got "stuff" you can see in it. I wait 10 minutes then drink. I've never gotten sick. It's gotta be the cheapest treatment there is. And a full small clear eyes bottle treats about 1000 miles of water.

Papa D
02-24-2012, 12:08
Hyperflow, Gravity Filters and Pur Hiker are all pretty good if you want a filter for backpacking trips of about 4-5 days and less. Many long distance hikers have come to the realization that a filter is totally unnecesary extra weight - especially in light of the fact that it will surely clog, may cross-contaminate, freezes at cold temps, gets stuff in your pack wet, breaks, etc.

My system starts with evaluation of the water source: Is it straight from a spring high on a mountain? - then, I don't treat. Am I going to boil the water for cooking, coffee, etc.? - then, I don't treat. Is it from a creek or a river or a lake - then, I will probably treat it with Aqua-Mira. Many hikers also use a tiny bit of bleach.

My best bet is that the two most common items mailed home from a through hike are heavy boots and filters.

mgeiger
02-24-2012, 12:14
Aqua Mira to treat but likely picking up a MSR Miniworks to deal with debris and odor for drinking water.

swjohnsey
02-24-2012, 12:55
Aqua Mira to treat but likely picking up a MSR Miniworks to deal with debris and odor for drinking water.

Most of the water is coming right out of the side of a mountain, no debris or odor.

mgeiger
02-24-2012, 13:12
You are right. Most of it is.

moof53
02-24-2012, 13:18
All of the suggested water treatments here have their own advantages and disadvantages and if you conduct a search here at WB you will be able to read about them all and make an informed decision. Some people don't like to ingest chemicals and wait times can be an issue. The pump filters are sometimes finicky due to the mechanical action to filter the water and the fact they have to be cleaned regularly and parts break over long use. Plus they are slow and add weight. The gravity filters can have the same clogging problems as the pump filters but for the most part are reliable if cleaned on a regular basis but they too add weight. As for UV treatments (Steripen & Camelbak "All Clear") they are relatively light but their instructions have to be followed exactly or there will be problems. And, they run on batteries which can be a fail point .

I have substantially decreased my use of pump filters over the years. Not so much for any mechanical or cleaning problems or weight, but because it is a slow process to fill water bladders (Camelbak or Platypus) or storage containers for camp use in the evening and morning. Even though it has to be cleaned regularly, I now use a gravity filter to fill those types of items. I just try to pre filter or use a debris clear area as much as I can to fill from and I maintain them on a regular basis.

If water availability along the trail is not a problem then I prefer a UV type device and refill my water bottle as often as needed along the trail and just have a small reserve in my water bladder. It can take as little as 90 seconds to filter a 1 liter bottle and as with all filtering systems, a pre filter helps. Treating anything above 1 liter at a time is not recommended for current portable UV devices. I have been using a UV device for about a year on short duration hikes, up to a week or so, and not had a problem. Again, for UV devices it is important to read the instructions, even the small print, and follow them.

For real suspect water sources I will turn to a chemical treatment by using an MSR Miox. But, Aqua Mira is just as effective. AM doesn't require batteries and is lighter. Mixing is required for both and have suggested wait times for use, 15 minutes for most treatment but up to 4 hours for certain contaminants which are not usually a problem in the US.

As for Chlorine, it works as well as anything, it is just a matter of personal preference. I use to be a life guard long ago and I just developed a dislike of anything chlorine. :)

Have a great hike!

Duramax22
02-24-2012, 15:50
check out the sawyer squeeze at only 3oz and 50 bucks plus a million gallon guarantee why wouldnt you. i got one and its awesome. also super easy to backflsu if by chance it does clog.

turtle fast
02-24-2012, 16:03
I have used the First Need purifier for years now. It not only filters but purifies the water including viruses, on the downside it does need back flushing like many filters. It seems like a lot of hikers in the Midwest use and know about them as on the AT nobody knew what it was and even at Mountain Crossings at a shakedown they were not familiar with the First Need filter.

rusty bumper
02-24-2012, 17:32
On my hike I drank spring water right out of the ground and treated all stream and pond water with Aqua Mira. I never had any stomach or intestinal problems in 5 months on the trail.

Bags4266
02-24-2012, 18:31
http://www.sawyer.com/SP131.htm I second the squeeze it can be used many different ways. I also like Aq. Mira drops. Only down side to the drops is it won't clear up the water

Aquaman12
02-25-2012, 10:28
+1 on the sawyer squeeze. One of the lightest options out there as far as filters go.