PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes fly Creek UL2

Duramax22
02-24-2012, 15:47
I am considering getting this tent. Would anybody having any contradictions based on experience?

hikerboy57
02-24-2012, 16:01
i have one for 2 yrs, generally i love it. the only downside is its not completely freestanding,needs to be partially staked out. so it sometimes takes a little creativity if you're on a platform, or if you had to tent on rocks.

moongoddess
02-24-2012, 16:11
I used to own this tent, and sold it. In addition to what hikerboy57 said, it's a front-entry tent. In general, front-entry tents are less convenient than side-entry models. Also, if it's raining heavily you're going to get some water entering the tent when you open the fly, because of the way the vestibule is designed. And it's not very roomy as two-person tents go (more like a 1 1/2 person tent in my opinion). If you regularly hike with another person and want to share a tent, you might want to look at the Fly Creek UL3 instead.

But these are small and manageable downsides. As lightweight options go, it's a fine choice!

O-H-10 Lil Ohio
02-24-2012, 16:14
I purchased the Big Agnes fly creek UL2 from REI and I love it , I spent 48 days in it since August and so far it has worked as advertised. I will also tell you that I am 63 have around 600 miles on the AT (section hikes ) this has been my best tent so far!! I have to crawl out head first every time I enter , makes it hard to work out the body kinks (man whining) the small vestibule really does not bother me . It is easy to set up in bad weather has plenty of room for 1 person , two folks would be very tight. I will start my thur-hike Mar 18, Have a great hike, Tic-Toc

Rhyno
02-24-2012, 16:17
I like the big agnes cooper spur 1 better. side door entry

dillard
02-24-2012, 17:19
I like the big agnes cooper spur 1 better. side door entry

+1 to that... only a few ounces heavier and much more convenient in my opinion.

stranger
02-25-2012, 08:40
I also got a Copper Spur against the Fly Creek due to the side entry, which is the only way to go in my view, plus it means the vestibule is along the long end, I also got mine while it still had the dual vestibules, great all around tent.

Saying that...nothing wrong with a Fly Creek if you want to save some weight, don't care about the drip free entrance and don't mind front entry.