PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Rocket vs. Alcohol Stove (White Box)

sterling98
02-24-2012, 16:52
Hi,
I was wondering what opinions people had on Pocket Rockets vs. White Box stove and have a bunch of questions. Any advice would be awesome.
1) How long would a canister of fuel last me if I cooked two hot meals per day. (oatmeal and noodles, for instance)
2) How is the weight and efficiency compare between the canisters and HEET?
3) Will I need more than one canister with me because they are only sold at outfitters?
4) Lastly, I see HEET all the time during winter months, but never see it in summer. Do people in trail towns sell it all the time just for thru hikers?

I was considering a Jetboil but want to have the option to do a little more than just boiling water. Maybe mix it up with pancakes (or, more like scrambled pancakes. who cares if they look really weird from being cooked in a pot) or whatever every once in a while, just to get out of a pattern of eating the same old stuff all the time.

Thanks

Spokes
02-24-2012, 17:14
Between 12-24 boils. Lots of factors like size of cannisters and "how" you use the stove. Some folks just natuarally waste fuel due to way they cook ... yada, yada, yada.

A buddy I thru'd with in 2009 only bought a couple cannisters the entire way. He found the rest in hiker boxes. Most were still half full.

Most thru's on the AT use alchy stoves with denatured since its so darn easily to find along the way. The Super Cat stove is about as easy as it gets. Oh, don't expect to win an Iron Chef competition using one. Thru hikers usually get by without much culinary flair on the trail anyway.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?62117-Average-Fuel-Canister-Life

dillard
02-24-2012, 17:31
1) How long would a canister of fuel last me if I cooked two hot meals per day. (oatmeal and noodles, for instance) I carry a 200g canister and it lasts 2-3 weeks using it for 2-3 boils a day
2) How is the weight and efficiency compare between the canisters and HEET? the alcohol stoves are much lighter but not as quick to boil and take a bit more setup, so to me the convenience of the canisters is worth its weight
3) Will I need more than one canister with me because they are only sold at outfitters? I found the canisters pretty easy to come by, in a pinch walmart carries coleman brand and they were in just about every hiker box along the way.
4) Lastly, I see HEET all the time during winter months, but never see it in summer. Do people in trail towns sell it all the time just for thru hikers? Didnt see much heet used by other hikers so not sure on availability but alcohol can be had almost everywhere by the oz

I was considering a Jetboil but want to have the option to do a little more than just boiling water. Maybe mix it up with pancakes (or, more like scrambled pancakes. who cares if they look really weird from being cooked in a pot) or whatever every once in a while, just to get out of a pattern of eating the same old stuff all the time. Check out the optimus crux stove. It is 27 grams folds up and has a sleeve that fits it into the concave bottom of the canister and will boil a liter in 3-4 minutes or simmer nicely with its adjustment. has a nice wide flame too as apposed to the pocket rocket

Just my 2 cents, I saw plenty of people with both alcohol and canister stoves on the trail...

Jim Adams
02-24-2012, 17:49
...there is no comparison...buy the PR!

geek

sterling98
02-24-2012, 17:54
Oh, don't expect to win an Iron Chef competition using one. Thru hikers usually get by without much culinary flair on the trail anyway.

I can't even cook on a normal stove too well so if it's not black and crumbling, it's good by my standards.

I think I'm going to get the Optimus Crux. The cook set it comes with looks nice and I'm going to REI today so I can check it out. Anything else I should know about the Optimus Crux?

Thanks

Jerhobie
02-24-2012, 18:07
I cook with a tiny titanium stove because the fuel I use is 151 rum, then my stove becomes my drinking buddy, one for you and one for me!!!

CrumbSnatcher
02-24-2012, 18:17
rule #1 the pocket rocket is king!
rule #2 if you have a problem with this? see rule #1 :-)

dillard
02-24-2012, 18:18
I think I'm going to get the Optimus Crux. The cook set it comes with looks nice and I'm going to REI today so I can check it out. Anything else I should know about the Optimus Crux?

Make sure you get the crux and not the crux lite... the lite is a tiny bit lighter but doesnt fold up.

When your using it dont crank it all the way up... just get the flames to the edges of the pot and you will be heating the entire bottom of the pot without wasting fuel heating the air around it.

Beside that it has been an amazing stove for my purposes... I even had a full size 9" non stick on it when car camping with some friends and it was sturdy and heated the entire pan for bacon, eggs and pancakes.

RWheeler
02-24-2012, 18:22
I can't even cook on a normal stove too well so if it's not black and crumbling, it's good by my standards.

Thanks

From what I hear, the Crux (along with the GigaPower) are more efficient than the Pocket Rocket. In terms of canister stoves, I've only used the PR, so I can't really give any specific feedback to that, but keep that in mind. I know the REI nearest me has information sheets in each department, detailing comparisons of gear in different categories. Check for one of those, or ask for input/opinions from the REI staff. In my experience, the employees are usually very enthusiastic to share their personal experiences with you.

TOMP
02-24-2012, 19:11
Also in reference to question 1, how long does a fuel canister last, it also has alot to do with the efficiency of the pot you use. If you have a higher surface area on the bottom of the pot, a wider pot, you get a shorter boiling time with the same amount of water than on a small bottom pot. Keep in mind when making your future pot purchases. I bought a primus kettle, 6.5 oz, for weight savings and noticed the high surface area as a unexpected benefit.

dla
02-24-2012, 19:25
Hi,
I was wondering what opinions people had on Pocket Rockets vs. White Box stove and have a bunch of questions. Any advice would be awesome.
1) How long would a canister of fuel last me if I cooked two hot meals per day. (oatmeal and noodles, for instance)
2) How is the weight and efficiency compare between the canisters and HEET?
3) Will I need more than one canister with me because they are only sold at outfitters?
4) Lastly, I see HEET all the time during winter months, but never see it in summer. Do people in trail towns sell it all the time just for thru hikers?

I was considering a Jetboil but want to have the option to do a little more than just boiling water. Maybe mix it up with pancakes (or, more like scrambled pancakes. who cares if they look really weird from being cooked in a pot) or whatever every once in a while, just to get out of a pattern of eating the same old stuff all the time.

Thanks

Personally, because I place a very high value on reliability, I would go with the Whitebox. I would also encourage you to look into Freezer Bag cooking as you can have variety without pots, pans and dish washing. FB cooking is all I do anymore.
Yellow bottle HEET is methanol, which works a little better in the cold than say Parks Brand which is mostly Ethanol. And it comes in the right-size bottle (I think Zelph sells a clever little resealable cap for them).

Six-Six
02-24-2012, 19:30
I cook with a tiny titanium stove because the fuel I use is 151 rum, then my stove becomes my drinking buddy, one for you and one for me!!!

One for all and all for one?????????

Six-Six
02-24-2012, 19:31
Sorry, forgot: Pocket Rocket here. Played with the soda can and super cat alcy stoves but decided to stick with the PR.

skinewmexico
02-24-2012, 20:00
rule #1 the pocket rocket is king!
rule #2 if you have a problem with this? see rule #1 :-)

Pocket Rocket is the king.................of shockingly high levels of carbon monoxide. Any number of stoves are lighter, cheaper, and safer. Snowpeak Gigapower is probably the gold standard. Detailed results of CO emissions, boil times, and fuel consumption on BPL.

CrumbSnatcher
02-24-2012, 20:37
Pocket Rocket is the king.................of shockingly high levels of carbon monoxide. Any number of stoves are lighter, cheaper, and safer. Snowpeak Gigapower is probably the gold standard. Detailed results of CO emissions, boil times, and fuel consumption on BPL.its only a two horse race, pocket rocket vs. alcohol stove :-)

CrumbSnatcher
02-24-2012, 20:43
good luck with the stove hunt sterling98

sterling98
02-24-2012, 21:55
Ok, well, no Optimus Crux or Optimus Crux Lite in stock at REI (only online, apparently). Frustratingly, I knew more about stoves than the guy working there, and, given the fact I don't know anything about camping stoves... you get the point. Usually they have pretty knowledgeable staff... well, I'm used to the one in Seattle. :) dillard mentioned I should get the Crux and not Crux lite; anyone know where I can find it??

Thanks

Jim Adams
02-25-2012, 00:19
Personally, because I place a very high value on reliability, I would go with the Whitebox. I would also encourage you to look into Freezer Bag cooking as you can have variety without pots, pans and dish washing. FB cooking is all I do anymore.
Yellow bottle HEET is methanol, which works a little better in the cold than say Parks Brand which is mostly Ethanol. And it comes in the right-size bottle (I think Zelph sells a clever little resealable cap for them).

....i think the PR is the more reliable of the two...turn the valve and light it...been using it since 2002 and never had a failure no matter what the weather...reliable as a rock.

geek

dillard
02-25-2012, 00:57
Sterling, Amazon has either just the stove or the stove and pot set for a decent price.

http://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Optimus-CRUX/dp/B002RRPFCW
http://www.amazon.com/Optimus-Crux-Terra-Weekend-Cook/dp/B001ANF74U

Grumble
02-25-2012, 09:20
Both stoves have a devoted following. I have used both, and they work well for heating water. The real question is how much do you like to fiddle around the camp site. The PR requires no work... none. The alcohol stoves require more fiddling and attention. I like the alcohol stoves for short trips and the PR for longer trips.

dla
02-25-2012, 16:10
You got that backwards.

sterling98
02-26-2012, 11:51
It looks like the Optimus Crux Lite has this kind of vent thing on the bottom, that the Crux doesn't have : http://www.backcountry.com/optimus-crux-stove-with-terra-weekend-he-cook-set?CMP_SKU=OPS0016&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=OPS0016-ONECOL-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=F2F2EE9D-12C4-E011-87D9-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:adType=pla

What is that used for and is it bad that the Crux doesn't have it?

Lyle
02-26-2012, 12:12
You got that backwards.

Agree, less fiddle with Alcohol. Plus lighter, easier to obtain fuel, you know exactly how much fuel you have available - so no need to carry extra and no empty canisters to carry out.

I have all kinds of stoves, white gas, canister, alcohol, wood. I carry the alcohol in all but the coldest weather, then it's white gas.

dillard
02-26-2012, 12:22
It looks like the Optimus Crux Lite has this kind of vent thing on the bottom, that the Crux doesn't have : http://www.backcountry.com/optimus-crux-stove-with-terra-weekend-he-cook-set?CMP_SKU=OPS0016&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=OPS0016-ONECOL-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=F2F2EE9D-12C4-E011-87D9-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&origin=pla&mr:adType=pla

What is that used for and is it bad that the Crux doesn't have it?

Not sure what its used for but there certainly isn't anything wrong with the regular crux.

sterling98
02-27-2012, 11:06
Ok, and for the pot set, would you recommend the Weekend or the Solo?

Thanks

dillard
02-27-2012, 12:22
I would personally go with the weekend set. Mostly because I like a 1 liter pot but the heat exchanger on the bottom will also make it more efficient.

sterling98
02-27-2012, 12:33
Great! I just ordered it from backcountry.com. It came w/ free two day shipping! :D

sterling98
02-29-2012, 11:41
Got the Crux today. Two thumbs up for Backcountry 2 day shipping that actually took two days! The stove looks awesome -- can't wait to pick up a canister today and give it a shot.

dillard
02-29-2012, 11:56
Congrats on your new stove, I am sure you will love it. I won't be starting my thru until April so I probably won't see you out there, but good luck on your thru hike!

sterling98
02-29-2012, 12:10
I'm not doing a thru this year. :( I had to move the date to a few years from now but in the meantime, lots of section hiking. I'm going out to hike a short section south of waynesboro this weekend, should the weather (and the crux, for that matter) comply. :)

Drybones
02-29-2012, 16:54
Anyone burning good rum should be hung on the bear cables.

Drybones
02-29-2012, 17:05
I just went through the same decision making process on stoves recently. Over the past two years I've accumulates all the standard options but after visiting www.zenstoves.net (http://www.zenstoves.net) and experimenting with homemade stoves the final choice is a version of the cat stove made using an aluminum spray can. It's pretty heavy duty, weighs a fraction of an ounce and heats 2 cups of water with times ranging from 5.5 - 7 minutes. It requires no priming, no stand, and is fool proof. It's worth spending a little time on the zenstove web site. If I need to I can now take a pocket knife and a beer can from the roadside a make a stove in a few minutes to get by on.