PDA

View Full Version : NOBO feb 29 Gear list

HT1
02-24-2012, 19:18
I packed three times, and trimmed brutally, I did not include my wear clothes and boots because all I'm really worried about is pack weight, and particularly.... have I forgotten something critical???

Gossamer gear G 4 18.0 ozbag 40.6
zrest 16.0
HH hammock, fly &
underquilt 170.1 oz

MIL SURP Puffy pants 16.6 oz
MIL SURP puffy top 14.2 Oz
1 liner socks 1.1 oz
2 wigwam socks 1.1 oz
patagonis DMR top 17.6 oz
gloves 2.0 oz
fleece hat + scarf 3.7oz

dromadary 4.3 oz
tp 8.5oz
guide 8.9oz
towel 3.7oz
knife 3.5oz
pen and pad 7.9 oz
flask/ water bottle 4.1 oz
led light 1.3 oz
brush&mirror 1.4
lamp & spare batteries 5.9

em blanket 1.8
bear cord 1.3
medicated powder 4.9
naproxen 5.1
toothcare 1.9
aqua mira 6.2
soap & razor 4.6
after bite .7
body glide 2.1
first aid/ foot care 13.8 sorry I did not itamize, but I dont think I can trim anything here safely, I made up the kit myself

sterno 8.4 I know Sterno is like *** but it was lighter then my Tiaga and a comperable amount of fuel
stand 4.2
cup & lid 9.9
spork 1.2
matches .8

camera 7.8

please note I weighed the pack for the total, rather then doing the math
total 24 lb 1.6 OZ

Thanks In advance
V/r HT1

TOMP
02-24-2012, 19:49
I know you probably dont need to hear it but rethink the sterno. Also 9 oz of TP sounds like too much, remove the cardboard roll and take half as much. I would consider buying those travel size tissue packs and using that instead of a full roll of TP because TP gets wet from condensation and then moldy and alot is wasted.

RodentWhisperer
02-24-2012, 22:24
I suspect you can trim down your Z-rest-- stick your pack under your knees/feet at night, and you shoudl stay warm and would save about 4-5 oz. I didn't see what size of water bottles you intend to use, but 4.1 oz seems high to me-- you can use a couple of 20 oz. soda bottles, which would weigh about 1.5 oz. total. Consider using a bandana (.7 oz) for a "towel." Leave the razor out. Consider using Dr. Bronner's soap-- 2 fl. oz. weight about 3.5 oz., and you only need drops of it for most washing. Personally, I've always found little use for a knife-- consider using a single-edge razor blade (a mere .1 oz.). Also, I see little reason to take replacement batteries-- you're never too far from a town, and most all of them have places where you can buy batteries.

HT1
02-24-2012, 23:00
I suspect you can trim down your Z-rest-- stick your pack under your knees/feet at night, and you shoudl stay warm and would save about 4-5 oz. I didn't see what size of water bottles you intend to use, but 4.1 oz seems high to me-- you can use a couple of 20 oz. soda bottles, which would weigh about 1.5 oz. total. Consider using a bandana (.7 oz) for a "towel." Leave the razor out. Consider using Dr. Bronner's soap-- 2 fl. oz. weight about 3.5 oz., and you only need drops of it for most washing. Personally, I've always found little use for a knife-- consider using a single-edge razor blade (a mere .1 oz.). Also, I see little reason to take replacement batteries-- you're never too far from a town, and most all of them have places where you can buy batteries.

the Z rest is trimmed 8 sections.. I know 6 is prefered, but I'm a tall glass of water,
the bottle is a high speed Plastic flask for adult beverages
I will trim the Towel, It is some sort of high speed microfibre
I shave deal with it , and the soap is DR B's
Sorry, a knife is a must have for me.... We all get one luxury item.
I will consider halfing the batteries again.

Thanks for the imput

V/r HT1

BrianLe
02-25-2012, 04:45
Sterno really is crap, to include the risk of it leaking (keep it in at least one ziplock in external mesh if you do carry it).
If budget is the issue, make yourself a catfood can alcohol stove. The approach is dead easy, and costs almost nothing, quite effective: http://andrewskurka.com/how-to/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

I personally don't think that puffy pants at a pound are worth carrying; consider instead cap 1 or at most capilene 2 or maybe silk longjohns. Less bulk, can optionally use with shorts in town too when washing clothes.

For a late Feb start I really liked down booties until I got into Virginia, FWIW. At least a beefy set of wool socks dedicated to just sleeping.

Gloves --- how thick? I suggest thin gloves and thick mittens to go over those. Optionally with shells, or at least bread bags for wet times.

EM blanket used with the hammock? If not, ditch it IMO.

Razor? Look like a thru-hiker, don't shave!

Is this for the AT? Then a 13.8 oz first aid kit strikes me as pretty heavy.

Not sure what a pagagonis DMR top is. Shell, or insulation layer, or both ... ? I suggest a shell top, a light insulation layer that you can hike in when it's relatively cold (not down) and a puffy warm layer for long breaks or in camp, that might indeed be down.

Bring yourself a contractor bag pack liner. Mail a second one to somewhere like half-way through.

No cell phone? Suit yourself there, just asking.

As a hammock guy in particular, take along a couple of thinner/lighter black plastic yard waste bags to put stuff in at camp.

Sewing needle (use with dental floss at need).
Duct tape.

Hmm, I see you list an underquilt but not an overquilt or sleeping bag ... !

My opinion: drop the spork in favor of a spoon (YMMV, obviously some people find sporks useful ... ?).

earplugs.

RodentWhisperer
02-25-2012, 11:48
the Z rest is trimmed 8 sections.. I know 6 is prefered, but I'm a tall glass of water,
the bottle is a high speed Plastic flask for adult beverages
I will trim the Towel, It is some sort of high speed microfibre
I shave deal with it , and the soap is DR B's
Sorry, a knife is a must have for me.... We all get one luxury item.
I will consider halfing the batteries again.

Thanks for the imput

V/r HT1

As they say, HYOH... I was merely making suggestions. :) I did forget to offer you a compliment, though-- your list looks very complete to me. You've clearly done some serious calculations, and that's usually half the battle!

Oh! One more suggestion. If you're looking for a place to buy travel-size (that is, low weight) HBAs, go to minimus.biz.