PDA

View Full Version : opinions on the Gregory Baltoro

Uncle Walkie
02-24-2012, 19:20
I am looking at the Gregory Baltoro. Nice pack, may features I like.

Would like feedback if you own one/ have used one. Also would you recommend the 65 or 75 for use on a thru hike? Part of me says get the 75 so there's plenty of room to pack during cold weather and simply cinch it down when not fully loaded. The other part of me says just make do with the 65, that it will be enough.

Thanks for the feedback

tenn_hiker
02-24-2012, 19:28
I have never used that exact pack but I've owned a few Gregorys and I like them. I have the Gregory Palisade 80 and the Gregory z 55.
I have never thru hiked before but i hear you don't need a huge pack, so in my opinion i would get the 65. my 80 has a better frame/suspension system thing than my 55 but the 55 is lighter.. there are ups and downs to both. it's really up to you i guess. The main reason i like gregory is any time i have broken something on my pack they either fix it or send me replacement parts..
good luck on your thru hike, Tenn_hiker

swjohnsey
02-24-2012, 19:30
It weighs as much as the large ALICE and is probably about as suited to thru-hiking. Also made in China.

TEXMAN
02-24-2012, 19:49
I have a Gregory Baltoro >>> bought it in Virginia after my lighter smaller pack (Go-Lite) crapped out because I was over packing it.... I find the Gregory to be extremely comfortable and I have reduced the weight by removing the top extra section ..... After about 600 miles I had torn a shoulder strap (because I wasn't lifting it up correctly) and returned it to the factory for repair ...no cost to me ...no questions asked ,... my wife has a Gregory that is smaller for her frame and we both are extremely happy with them..

As far as size goes ,,, if you have the space you will fill it ...I'd go with the smaller size...

O.M. River

BFI
02-24-2012, 20:56
I purchased a Baltaro 65 for my hike this year, 18 more sleeps. I know its a heavy pack but it fits great and if I'm comfortable its worth the extra couple of pounds.

RossSFCA
02-25-2012, 01:14
Had a Gregory Baltoro 70 (large... wrong size, long story... which was actually a "72"), traded it in for a Baltoro 75 (medium, much better). With all my winter/wet weather gear, I have it completely full... go with the 75, in my humble opinion.

Even though the large was the wrong size, I loved all the features. I am extremely happy with the new bag. The lid even pops off to convert to a shoulder bag for slack-packing. LOVE THAT.

See you on the Trail!

Northern Lights
02-25-2012, 01:16
I have the Gregory Baltoro 70, a ULA Catalyst and Vaude of the the three the Gregory fits and feels the best.

Sarcasm the elf
02-25-2012, 02:21
I own a three year old Baltoro 70L which I use as my winter pack when I'm carrying lots of bulky clothing and loading it up with 50+Lbs of gear. As far as internal frame packs go it's a great load hauler and the design of the hip belt lets you carry a lot of weight with reasonable comfort. Even though I think it's a great pack, I feel like it isn't geared towards three season A.T. thru hiking since you probably have your base weight down to a level that wouldn't warrant such a beefy pack.

When it comes to packs, the features a pack has are far less important than the way the individual pack fits you and how comfortable it is when you wear it for an extended period of time. Go to a good outfitter and get them to have you try on different packs with some weight in them (a good outfitter will have some sort of sand bags or ballast set aside for this purpose), this will give you a feel for how they fit you, walk around the store for a while with the pack on and really think about how you'd feel wearing it for 12 hours a day.

From the limited experience I have in packs, I would recommend that you also try out the Gregory z55 (my summer pack) or z65, the Osprey 65 (my hiking buddy's pack), or the ULA line of packs (I don't have experience with ULA myself but I hear only great things about them), and then see which one fits you the best and is most comfortable for the way you move. If the Baltoro fits you best then go with it, but if you find a lighter option that you like, then consider that instead.

Uncle Walkie
02-25-2012, 06:58
thanks for the feedback, good stuff to chew on.

Good point about fit versus features. I spent about two hours being fitted at REI and have just about convinced myself to get the Baltoro; still undecided on the size though...65 or 75

Duramax22
02-25-2012, 17:19
I had a 75 and returned it for a 65 because I had a lot of extra space and with extra space I tend to fill it with useless stuff. Great pack the comfort of the suspension and straps is worth the weight. Also very well built and great factory service. Would Def recommend

CROCKETT
02-25-2012, 19:15
Uncle Walkie,
I have a new Baltoro 75 and Love It. However, it is a Medium and I need a Large.. I am selling it for $175.

I used it for three days only.. I did a shake down hike I found out I needed the larger frame.

Call me at 864-915-8141 if interested.

Uncle Walkie
02-27-2012, 18:28
Thanks Crockett, but I am going to go with the 65...and am going to wait a little later in the season to buy it.

I appreciate everyone's input!

kayaker4ever
02-28-2012, 13:18
Uncle Walkie,
I have a new Baltoro 75 and Love It. However, it is a Medium and I need a Large.. I am selling it for $175.

I used it for three days only.. I did a shake down hike I found out I needed the larger frame.

Call me at 864-915-8141 if interested.

Should have bought it at REI. You could have returned it for "any" reason.

Duramax22
02-28-2012, 15:30
Good choice you wont regret it superior comfort

Waterbuffalo
02-28-2012, 23:23
I have the earlier Baltoro 70 and it's the most comfortable Gregory I have owned. I have had 2 others Shasta, reality, But my Baltoro is the work horse. My cousin bought a 65 last fall and we took it out last weekend on a trip he was amazed with the comfort. Baltoro all the way!

hunter121
02-29-2012, 03:47
I never smile. You want a smile, go rent a smile
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

gsimp18
02-29-2012, 11:57
I have the baltoro 70 and I just can't justify a pack weight of 5lb 5oz. I'm switching to a Golite Jam. Under a pound and a half and will carry everything I need for my thru