PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Double Rainbow

moof53
02-24-2012, 21:38
I am planning a 2013 thru hike and considering tents. My wishes are to have a free standing tent for more pitching options, a double wall to reduce condensation and a tent that pitches the rainfly and the inner tent simultaneous to prevent the inner tent getting wet when pitching it in the rain.

I have several very good tents but I don't think I would take any of them on this trip. My NF VE25 is a free standing, 4 season, true mountain dome tent. But at about 9 lbs it is just to heavy and really overkill for the AT. My MSR Carbon Reflex 2 would be a good possibility but as I said above for this trip I prefer a free standing tent for more pitching options and more importantly, I don't like the idea of having to pitch the inner tent first and then the rain fly in a week long rain storm in the 100 mile wilderness in the dark. My last tent is a MSR Fast Stash that would probably do well but it is a single wall, non free standing tent.

After doing much research, Nemo, LightHeart, Moontrail, Hilleberg and the like, I think I have settled on a Tarptent, Double Rainbow. It can be pitched as either non free standing or free standing with trekking poles. It has a removable inner liner for condensation reduction. The tent pitches in such a way that the inner will remain dry when pitching in the rain. It appears pretty easy to pitch which is good after many long days on the trail. And, it weighs about 40 oz for the tent. A little more for the liner and a Tyvek ground cloth.

Any thoughts or experience from owners of the Tarptent, Double Rainbow would be appreciated.

bamboo bob
02-24-2012, 21:50
I used a Rainbow on the PCT, It's a nice light shelter. For one person the single is plenty big and I'm 6'3". Henry Shires tarptents are very good but They sacrifice durability for lightness. Mine was from 2009 so maybe newer models are better. You really can't do the AT in a 9 pound tent and have fun too.

Rocket Jones
02-24-2012, 21:51
I love my double rainbow. I've never used a ground cloth and have had zero problems with floor durability.

moof53
02-24-2012, 21:57
Thanks bamboo bob! I agree about the NF VE25. It is a GREAT tent but way to heavy for five or six month of hiking. :) I am a little concerned about durability of the Double Rainbow but I am counting on just this one season of use. I figure just about anything will be toast after five to six months of heavy use.

Thanks again!

RodentWhisperer
02-24-2012, 21:58
I don't own a Tarptent, so I can't comment upon the brand's functionality. I do know, though, that Shires is considered a very skilled designer, and that his tents are generally well received. I'd suggest that if you're planning a solo thru-hike, you opt for the Contrail-- lighter by almost 13 oz.

skinewmexico
02-25-2012, 01:43
The inner liner doesn't reduce condensation, it just prevents it from dripping in the tent. It's still a single wall tent. Great tent though. I sold mine to finance a Stratosphire. I think that Tarptent would be more in line with what you want. Well, except for the freestanding part. The only time I set my DR up freestanding was when I seam-sealed it.

tuswm
02-25-2012, 12:11
When I steak it out I think you get a few more inches in length. But being a free standing tent will give you more options while setting up. Mine has been all over the country and one weakness it has is side ways wind like on a ridge. It has a lot of ventilation. I have never got wet inside BUT when its windy in a dust storm the inside of your tent will get covered. on the other hand the shape make it great in the wind. there are even grommets to use your hiking poles vertically for more support in high winds and snow. Also if you search for threads I have started I started one about a DIY mod for TTDR that gives you much more interior volume by adding 2 guy out points to the side mesh. not extra steaks required.

Also for a ground cloth when I set up on wet ground I use polycro. the tyvek is NOT water proof.