PDA

View Full Version : Please comment on equipment

Phsskipper
03-22-2005, 21:26
I posted earlier with just a few peices of equipment on the list. After looking at many posts and sites I have come up with the following. I would appreciate knowing if I have forgotten anything.

Here it is as of today.

Equipment List

Pack/Sleeping/Shelter Gear

JanSport Yosemite 84 oz
Pack Cover (Kitchen Trash bag 3 carried total) 1 oz
NF Mammoth Sleeping 51 oz

Cocoon Silk Liner 5 oz
Tyvek Ground Cloth 4 oz
Thermarest 48 inch self inflating pad and stuff sack 22 oz Eureka Solitaire Tent 31 oz

Treking poles ???

Cook Gear
Foster's Lager Can Stove 1 oz

Fuel Bottle 1 oz

Walmart Grease Pot 4 oz

Insulated Cup 3 oz
platypus w/ hose 2 oz
lexan spoon; cozy; zip locks 3 oz
Katahdin Hiker Pro (Water Purification system) 11 oz

2 water bottles (Gatorade Bottles) 4 oz

Measuring Cup 2 oz

Camp Soap 2 oz

Bic Lighter 1 oz
Silnylon Food Bag 1 oz

Foot Gear

Limmer Midweight Boots 57 oz*
2 pairs Smartwool socks 5 oz,*
2 pairs sock liners 2 oz *

First Aid/ Repair Kit 11 oz

- 1 Piece 2nd Skin
- 2 Pieces MoleSkin
- 1/2 width Roll of Duct Tape (6ft)
- 1 Box Water/Wind Proof Matches
- 3 FireStarters
- 1 Needle
- 1 Spool of Thread
- 10 Aleve Tablets
- 2 decongestant tabs
- 1 Sterile Gauze Bandage Roll
- 10 Bandaids
- 1 tube of NeoSporin
- 1 Tube Anbesol
- 1 Tube Superglue
- 1 Safety Pin
- 1 Mini-Can of Carmex Lip Balm
- 1 Thermometer

- 1 ace bandage

- gold bond powder

- 1 Sanitary Pad

- Sunscreen

- Bic Mini Lighter

Trail Clothes
Cabela’s – Rain/Wind Pants 8 oz

Cabela’s Rain Jacket 10 oz

Campmor Trekmor Travel Shirt 9 oz

Campmor Trekmor 2/1 Convertible Pants 11 oz

Starter sleeveless t shirt 2 oz
Outdoor Research Element Bucket (Hat) 3 oz
Manzella® Polartec® Wind Pro® Gloves 4 oz

Camp wear
Columbia Transport Bi-Component Mid-Weight Pants 4 oz

Columbia Transport Bi-Component Mid-Weight Crewneck Top 5 oz
Campmor Microfleece Crewneck Shirt 13 oz

2 Bandanas 4 oz

Camp Shoes (Crocs) 2 oz

One pair of wool rag socks 2 oz
Will Wear rain/wind pants in camp if trail pants don’t work

Misc. Stuff
1 led lights, 1 oz
Leatherman Kick™ Multi-Tool 6 oz
50 ft of parachute cord (Guts pulled out) 2 oz
Trail Data Book/ Maps/ Trail Journal ????
compass ????

Head Lamp (include extra lamp and batteries )????

Total Weight 20 lbs Dry (Approx)

Not as much as I thought it would be. I am shooting for a 45 lb max pack. Planning for 5 day duration at that weight. Longer trips would weigh more in begninning.

Am I on the right track here?

hikerjohnd
03-22-2005, 22:05
Glad to see you kept the JanSport! How about tooth brush & toothpaste? Also - Carmex comes in a tube that is the same stuff, only lighter. Are you sure about the 2oz Crocs? That seems light... Also,- Starter sleeveless t shirt 2 oz - I assume not cotton? The firestarters in the first aid kit - I'm not familiar with them per se, but a baggie full of dryer lint works well and weighs nothing - although you'll meet folks who object to fires even if there is an established ring.

Always remember - HYOH! If you're comfortable with your pack then so be it.

--John

Phsskipper
03-22-2005, 22:25
Glad to see you kept the JanSport! (Me too.)

How about tooth brush & toothpaste? (I have not done my toilletries yet)

Also - Carmex comes in a tube that is the same stuff, only lighter. (Cool, I did not know that )

Are you sure about the 2oz Crocs? That seems light... ( I am guessing after picking a set up in the store. It may be light.)
Also,- Starter sleeveless t shirt 2 oz - I assume not cotton? (Not Cotton)

The firestarters in the first aid kit - I'm not familiar with them per se, but a baggie full of dryer lint works well and weighs nothing - although you'll meet folks who object to fires even if there is an established ring. (Lint is good suggestion fire only in emergency that is why starter in first aid kit.)

Jeremy
03-22-2005, 22:48
I suggest the following headlamps for use:
Petzl Tikka and Tikka Plus- Plus: $35.95, 2.7 oz Tikka: $28.95, 2.7 oz
Petzl Zipka Plus- $42.95, 2.3 oz
Princeton Tec Eos- $38.95, 3.56 oz
Petzl Myolite- $44.95, 6.4 oz
Black Diamond Gemini- $34.95, 7.1 oz
Black Diamond Zenix- $28.95, on sale @ REI. COM, 4.9 oz
:D

Kerosene
03-22-2005, 23:16
Crocs, or Waldies, weigh 11-12 ounces. Minimal thongs/flip flops weigh at least 4 oz.

If you decide to try out trekking poles, make sure that you don't hold them too tightly for too long to avoid blisters. Give yourself at least 3 days to get used to them.

ARambler
03-23-2005, 00:35
Good so far.
Get a good list and think about the small but important things: TP, suntan lotion, toothbrush, extra batteries, extra ziplocks, camera...

I use dental floss instead of thread.

Tha Wookie
03-24-2005, 01:55
In my opinion...

The stove is way too heavy. Make a can stove www.pcthiker.com (http://www.pcthiker.com). Te fuel bottle is also way heavy compared to a can stove fuel bottle (plastic drink container)

I would only carry 1 bandana. Leave a backup in a drop box, or just buy one in town.

Leave the moleskin, it doesn't work for all day hiking. Instead carry extra duct tape, or better yet, lose the heavy boots and go with trail runners.

What are the thrid pair of wool sock for? Get ankle-highs to go with your snazzy new trailrunners.

Ditch the thermarest. Get a sheet of evazote foam instead. WAY lighter and more dependable.

Shave off some more pounds and you won't believe the difference. Your body will continue to thank you for the good job you have done already.

Happy trails.

Oracle
03-24-2005, 09:46
Tha Wookie,

Do you know where we could find a sheet of evazote foam appropriate for a hiker mattress?

Also, what trailrunners do you recommend? I'm thinking about the Montrail Vitesse II's or the Lafuma Active's, but I have a wide foot so I need to go and try on a few.

hikerjohnd
03-24-2005, 10:21
Tha Wookie,

Do you know where we could find a sheet of evazote foam appropriate for a hiker mattress?

Also, what trailrunners do you recommend? I'm thinking about the Montrail Vitesse II's or the Lafuma Active's, but I have a wide foot so I need to go and try on a few.

For evazote chech http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/nightlight_3_quarter.html here.

--John