PDA

View Full Version : Looking for others who are thru hiking and have a slacker backer

Cat in the hat
02-25-2012, 19:02
My boyfriend and I are outfitted and on our way to Springer to start a thru hike attempt. He will be walking the trail and I will be driving along the way and setting up camp along the way. We have the 2012 maps and hope to make 100 miles per week. After months of preparation I am getting a little anxious about being able to meet other hikers. Is there anyone else that will be slacking their partner along the trail? HELP! HELP! HELP! I'm nervous and would like to meet another nervous newbie.

Skid.
02-25-2012, 19:15
I am an AT section hiker, and plan to do Springer Mountain to Damascus this Spring. I hope to meet your boyfriend and would be glad to hike with him, since I also generally average about 100 miles per week. However, you should be aware that most thru-hikers are unsupported, meaning they have no one to meet them along the way and set up camp for them, so don't be surprised if he is not embraced by other thru-hikers. However, don't despair, because the mantra on the AT is "hike your own hike".

kayak karl
02-25-2012, 19:16
are you slackpacking him daily or just at towns or crossroads. it can be done. slackpacking at 100 mi. per week should be easy.

Cat in the hat
02-26-2012, 21:17
daily when possible.

Brady
02-26-2012, 22:03
why dont you hike with him?

Blissful
02-26-2012, 22:12
Lot of gas money. Hope everything is budgeted.
Be sure its a legal camp if near roads. Roads too can be more dangerous for camping as being in the public eye, just saying. I might ask Warren Doyle where are good places to set up camps each night that are safe. He has done this before with groups.

I can see why you're nervous though, to be honest. I would be too unless you are comfortable doing this kind of thing, alone near a public road waiting for him to come by every night, plus trying to ascertain good camping spots every day. Having another person with you might be a good idea. Have you done it before for him?

Why he doesn't he just carry his own gear and you meet him in towns along the way when he gets there. A heck of a lot safer for you.

Cat in the hat
02-27-2012, 13:13
Personally I have no desire to walk that much.
We have camped 30 nights over the past months to "practice".
Budgeting has been covered and staying in town to wait isn't the same a camping.
We plan to scout a couple hundred miles up in the vehicle then come back to hike north.

Skid, hope we can meet. I'm sure I can find a little room in the Mercedes SUV to slack you a few miles.

Cat in the hat
02-27-2012, 13:18
Budgeting has been covered.
We have camped over 30 nights in the past five months to "practice" with some consecutive 20 mile per day hikes.
Initially we plan to scout ahead in the vehicle a couple hundred miles then come back and hike north.
Waiting in town would be too far away from the bears.
A coon hound pair for security.

Skid, hope we get to meet. I'm sure I can find a little room in the overpacked Mecedes SUV to slack you a few miles.

Cat in the hat
02-27-2012, 13:20
oops! double posted. LOL

Blissful
02-27-2012, 13:34
We have camped 30 nights over the past months to "practice".
Budgeting has been covered and staying in town to wait isn't the same a camping.
We plan to scout a couple hundred miles up in the vehicle then come back to hike north.

Skid, hope we can meet. I'm sure I can find a little room in the Mercedes SUV to slack you a few miles.

Sounds like you are confident then about the plan. From your first post, it sounded like you were awfully anxious. Not sure what about then - ?

Blissful
02-27-2012, 13:39
He'll need to carry gear for the Smokies section which I'm sure you already know.

lemon b
02-27-2012, 15:02
He'll meet plenty of good people and I'm sure many other hikers will be able to use your help in the ride department.

Theosus
03-03-2012, 23:06
I read about a couple that thru hiked with a car. He drops her off at point A. He drives north to point B. They walk in opposite directions, meeting in the middle. They continue until he reaches point A. She arrives at point B and picks up the car. She drives back, gets him and they repeat the process. So they both hike the trail, NOBO and SOBO at the same time, with one car. Of course, if you don't want to walk all that way, maybe you could walk towards him a mile or so, meet up and walk back to camp together? You get a little of the trail without too much.

ARambler
03-04-2012, 01:22
Don't worry about what others think, you have thought about it more than they have. Your boyfriend is very lucky to have you. Fully supported hikes are done for speed hikes (both record and just PR's) and Warren Doyle does one every 5 years (also faster then average).

Comments:
Find something you enjoy to occupy your time. Also have a backup in case you get tired of Suduko.
Meet him more than once a day. More suppport is better.
Some days, take a day of vacation and go do something neer the trail.
Camping near the road will be more difficult than you think. There are many parking lots I would be a lot more comfortable sleeping in the SUV than pitching a tent.
Unless your boyfriend is older than I am, 100 miles a week should be pretty easy morth of Damascus. Don't be afraid to start slowly and take a lot of zeros for weather or injuries.

I should be around Springer the week of March 11. Maybe I'll see you there.
Rambler

MuddyWaters
03-04-2012, 08:50
I would rather walk 6 hrs per day than be bored out of my mind waiting, but thats just me.
Kudos to you for doing this for him
Have you considered a small travel trailer........

ckwolf
03-06-2012, 09:22
If you are nervous consider bringing a small to mid size watchdog, the dog has much better senses and will alert you to the approach of others while you wait, will discourage harm and encourage you whether you wonder or you wander. Get a collapsible tubular frame cordura nylon crate for the dog to ride in. More gear to carry with the canine supplies but more ease of mind for you. Plenty of exercise and excitement and companionship for the dog and you while on the adventure and when the trip is over the dog will still love you :)

max patch
03-06-2012, 10:32
Don't take it personally when/if your BF tells you he does not want to continue this arrangement. One of the joys of thru hiking is to not be tied to a schedule - hike 3 miles if you want or hike 30 miles if you want. He is going to get up and know that he has to hike 12.7 miles exactly to get to you. And while his friends are camping on top of a mountain with fantastic view he will stuck in mostly likely a gap with no redeeming value except that its close to a road. And if that day comes I'm guessing you will also be happy to be done with all the driving on many a crappy road.

Blue Jay
03-06-2012, 13:43
However, you should be aware that most thru-hikers are unsupported, meaning they have no one to meet them along the way and set up camp for them, so don't be surprised if he is not embraced by other thru-hikers. However, don't despair, because the mantra on the AT is "hike your own hike".

More than don't despair, it's exactly the opposite, he has access to a car (beer, women, food ? of the order). He will be embraced by every one but sectiuon hikers.