PDA

View Full Version : Reflectix

dhock83
02-25-2012, 22:40
I came across some reflectix and want to get the most out of it. What are some good ways to use reflectix?

4eyedbuzzard
02-25-2012, 22:45
Pot cozys, camera padding, hammock insulation pad maybe.

TOMP
02-25-2012, 22:49
car floor insulation, I refurbished my 1981 vette's interior with it, cuts down on noise and heat.

Janeway
02-25-2012, 23:09
I've made a 20"x60" sleeping pad as a second sleeping pad for winter/cold. I really think it adds extra R value. Since it's basically foil wrapped bubble wrap it will eventually will lose it's "bounce" and can be thrown away. I've also made a cozy for my Kindle. I figure it will provide some padding protection. Then with all that you have left you can do bunches of things like insulation--I pasted some to the back wall under my kitchen sink which is an outside wall, covered the inside of my basement door. It's really cool stuff.

garlic08
02-25-2012, 23:14
+1 on the winter sleeping pad under your regular pad. Mine's pretty old and has seen a lot of use and the bubbles are still fine.

By the way, you can also insulate ductwork with it.

Hawkwind61
02-26-2012, 10:31
So far I've used mine to: replace my blue pad in my SPE (Pad extender), make a bag cozy for my freezer bag meals, a pot cozy and cover for my titanium pot, and will shortly be making a sleeve/cozy for my nook tablet. I plan to 'hand over' the roll to my hiking buddy so she can have at it. :sun When the roll comes back I'll probably cover my water tank that comes in from my well with it. ;)

Wise Old Owl
02-26-2012, 10:47
car floor insulation, I refurbished my 1981 vette's interior with it, cuts down on noise and heat.

I did that with Wally World Blue - I found closed cell foam is utilized in high end performance cars and I carpeted my car to reduce road noise & improve the sound of the CD- it works....

TOMP
02-26-2012, 13:40
I did that with Wally World Blue - I found closed cell foam is utilized in high end performance cars and I carpeted my car to reduce road noise & improve the sound of the CD- it works....

Yeah I didnt think about closed cell foam at the time. I got the reflectix tip from a corvette forum. I should have just come to WB. But with my corvette, road noise isnt an issue because the t-top is always off anyway.

dhock83
03-01-2012, 18:45
Has anyone used it as a sleeping pad and/or sit pad??

QiWiz
03-01-2012, 19:38
I use it to make cozies for pots, pot lids, mugs (use a plastic tub plus reflectix to make an insulated mug that's less than an ounce), and water bottles (for hiking in winter when you don't want water to freeze). Good stuff. If you are making cozies, there is an aluminized tape for reflectix that you can get that works well, though you can use other tape you may already have.

TOMP
03-01-2012, 23:57

No, but what I know about it from working with it, I wouldnt imagine it would be very good for either of those uses. Its just too thin to provide any comfort. If you are comfortable using a single layer of reflectix as a pad you would probably be comfortable with no pad at all too. Maybe if you folded it over a few times.

daddytwosticks
03-02-2012, 08:19
One layer of Reflectix works great for me as a sit pad. My a@@ has plenty of padding. The Reflectix keeps me clean and warm when sitting on a clod damp log. :)

garlic08
03-02-2012, 08:36

Read posts #4 and 5 above.