PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket?

JustADude
02-25-2012, 23:20
Anybody got any AT or other experience with the LL Bean Trail Model Rain Jacket?

Not endorsing, but here is the link:
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68624?feat=58537-ppodxs&dds=y

Don't own yet, but looking it as a emergency rain coat. I've got a bag cover, so just looking for something that would work that would help as an outer layer for those cold wet days where you have to keep on going and not take a zero day.

Weight is around 16 oz.

Thanks much for any feedback, and if this isn't good and alternative suggestions are really appreciated, especially in this cost range (~$70).

Feral Bill
02-26-2012, 00:04
I got one of these for Christmas, and use it for my walk to work (about 1/2 hour each way, with 100m elevation difference). It fits well, sheds rain and snow, and has nice features. It may be a bit lightly built for gear bashers, bushwhacking, etc. The lack of pit zips might be an issue in long uphills with lots of rain. I open the top part of the zipper and loosen the hem drawstring as I warm up, which works for my use. The bright yellow is very visable, good for urban walking and biking.

swjohnsey
02-26-2012, 09:48
I have one of the L.L. Bean Stowaway jackets (and pants) that I have been using for years. It appears to be the same thing made out of something a little lighter than Goretex.

You can get some Driducks for under twenty dollars. Not as durable buy much lighter, top and bottom only less than 8 oz. Driducks don't have any pockets.

JustADude
02-26-2012, 22:46
Sounds like it is an okay jacket...using a MIL parka right now, so any thing would be lighter, but a little concerned about loosing the pit-zips. They seem to help a little.

Also hoping it is as water proof as the parka, which is great, but really heavy.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

swjohnsey
02-26-2012, 23:06
I weighed my military Goretex top, 2 1/2 lbs. I used to lie down in the snow with my Goretex and go to sleep, just curl up. Pit zips are not a big deal. I like 'em but you can certainly do without.

Papa D
02-26-2012, 23:57
This is basically Chinese made crap - sorry - It's so so sad because i used to LOVE LL Bean - all of my school clothes as a teenager came from LL Bean - now everything (mostly) is "imported" which means made in China - I seek NOT IMPORTED items or things made in countries with sustainable practices which include european countries, canada, etc. - my Arc-Teryx jacket says "made in Canada" but I know that Arc-teryx has a bunch of stuff made in China - I love my wool sweaters from Scotland - I'd forgo LL Bean - there are better USA brands still in existing now - Filson in Seattle comes to mind ......

JustADude
02-27-2012, 00:03
LL Bean states that it is made in "Bangladesh".

Papa D
02-27-2012, 00:07
LL Bean states that it is made in "Bangladesh".

Oh, does that make you feel better?