PDA

View Full Version : Camp Water System?

wteason2
02-26-2012, 06:54
I'm getting new gear for my thru hike and have read several hydration system threads, but I have one unresolved question. What do you use for your water in camp?

I've read varying opinions on the platypus zipping tanks, and I'm wondering if that's because of model changes through the years or just inconsistent construction.

Other than the platy bags, what's a good solution for evening/dinner, breakfast, and starting drinking water. I guess I'm looking at about 4 liters.

Thanks for any advice!

4eyedbuzzard
02-26-2012, 09:02
I use a 3 liter zip platy for drinking water while hiking. I usually don't fill it all the way when hiking, but it lays flatter in/against the pack as a result. In camp, if water is a ways off, I'll usually unpack my gear and haul water with one of the larger dry bags (Walmart) that serves as a stuff sack for clothing normally. Dry it off in the morning with my handy shamwow and good to go.

daddytwosticks
02-26-2012, 10:09
An assortment of different sized Gatoraide, Poweraide, or Aquafina bottles for water carry on the trail. An assortment of different sized Platy bags (zippered and non-zippered) for water in camp (I use one platy). I like having a good supply of water for the night. Exactly what I take and use varies based on location of hike, time of year, dryness, etc. What doesn't change is that I always use Aqua-Mira drops for treatment. Love the stuff. :)

Rocket Jones
02-26-2012, 10:27
Like above, I use a couple of bottles during the day, but at night I also fill a 2 liter platypus. I've never tried the zippered types, I don't trust them, but that's just me.

Spokes
02-26-2012, 10:51
I carried a platy water tank for camp and never had any issues with quality in 2009. I liked the carry handle. However I ended up just using an extra 2L platy and filling my Gatorade bottles in camp. Oh, and a Squishy Bowl makes a great dip cup for filling at the water source.

swamprat
02-26-2012, 11:01
Check out the sea to summit folding bucket. It's made of nylon and weighs a couple ounces. Comes in two sizes. One trip to water source and you have water for everything. Folds up into a 3x3 pouch about half inch thick.

BigHodag
02-26-2012, 11:02
I carried a platy water tank for camp and never had any issues with quality in 2009. I liked the carry handle. However I ended up just using an extra 2L platy and filling my Gatorade bottles in camp. Oh, and a Squishy Bowl makes a great dip cup for filling at the water source.

I use an extra liter water bottle. I know from experience I need a half liter for dinner and a half liter for breakfast. I make sure I have a full liter for camp and as much of my first liter for hiking in and out.

I am experimenting with a mylar bladder recycled from coffee to-go boxes. They seem to hold 3 liters, have a wide cap, are extremely lightweight, and cost nothing, if recycled.

rusty bumper
02-26-2012, 11:19
A one liter sports drink bottle almost always provided me enough water for dinner, breakfast and the hike to the first water source in the morning. This worked for me because I usually ate cold dinners and after the first week or so, had pop-tarts and a cup of cold water for breakfast. On those rare occasions when I had a hot dinner, I'd carry an extra half liter of water into camp in a roll-up Platypus bottle...I never ate a hot breakfast.

wteason2
02-26-2012, 12:42
Wow that was fast! Thanks guys!

I think I'll use a 2L camelbak and another wide-mouth bottle for mixing during the day and then have an additional 2L platy bag and fill them all up on my way to camp. How's that sound?

Lyle
02-26-2012, 13:14
I use a 2 liter play hoser during the day. I also carry a couple of 1 liter platy bags. Very light, compact when not in use. This combo gives plenty of capacity for a dry camp when I wish to go that route.

wteason2
02-26-2012, 13:21
Random: The forum needs a like or thank button for posts and replies.

Sarcasm the elf
02-26-2012, 13:27
In past years I carried three liter camelback and either one nalgene or 1l Gatorade bottle while hiking and this was enough water to use for camp.

This year I'm going to try using the bladder from a dunkin doughnuts box-of-joe for camp water. It's 4-5 liters, made of fairly beefy Mylar/plastic and free.

Best part for thru hikers is that if they decide that they need one they can probably just get it from one of those "trail magic" folks handing out coffee on on the side of the road.;)

Alligator
02-26-2012, 21:16
I use a collapsible wide mouth Nalgene (http://www.rei.com/product/626195/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-96-fl-oz). It holds nearly 3 liters for camp. The wide mouth makes filling up easy, the lid makes drycamping down the trail easier.

I also have a hydration bladder for hiking, 2-3 liters depending on season. I also keep a one liter platypus for making powdered drinks.

StubbleJumper
02-27-2012, 08:32
I use a collapsible wide mouth Nalgene (http://www.rei.com/product/626195/nalgene-wide-mouth-cantene-96-fl-oz). It holds nearly 3 liters for camp. The wide mouth makes filling up easy, the lid makes drycamping down the trail easier.

I also have a hydration bladder for hiking, 2-3 liters depending on season. I also keep a one liter platypus for making powdered drinks.

+1, but I go with a 1.5 litre collapsible wide mouth Nalgene, plus my 1 litre water bottle. The 2.5 litres is about perfect for me for supper and breakfast. The advantage of the collapsible Nalgene is that it squishes down to take very little space in your pack while you're hiking, but it gives you that extra water capacity for the evening and for dry stretches of trail. I think I paid about $8-9 at REI for the collapsible container.

I've seen the "zippable" water containers in outdoor stores, but I'm not sold. It looks like a leaking problem waiting to happen. Maybe somebody who has actually used one can chime in with their observations about reliability.

Bags4266
02-27-2012, 09:07
I have the platy zip water tank. Its great when hiking with others for gathering water while at camp. To big and heavy for solo.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2012, 10:46
I use a dry sack to which I sewed a 8" long nylon strap across the opening for a handle. Weighs little and takes up little space when not in use. I can filter water right out of the bag if I need to. The only down side is since it doesn't seal, you can't carry water in it, in your pack. That can be an issue if you needed to carry a lot of water to do a dry camp, but that is something I rarely do.

rocketsocks
02-27-2012, 11:02
I use a dry sack to which I sewed a 8" long nylon strap across the opening for a handle. Weighs little and takes up little space when not in use. I can filter water right out of the bag if I need to. The only down side is since it doesn't seal, you can't carry water in it, in your pack. That can be an issue if you needed to carry a lot of water to do a dry camp, but that is something I rarely do.I got this what looks like a paper boy bag for x-mas and was quite surprised.It's all nylon,won't hold water(not seam sealed)but would hold just about any thing else and then some.It scrunches up into it's own little sewn-in stuff sack,and has a little mini carabiner.I forget the name of it just now.Pretty cool though,definitely a luxury item.

wteason2
02-28-2012, 18:16
Thanks Guys! I'm about to go order my 2L Camelbak and two 1L wide mouth collapsible nalgene.

garlic08
02-29-2012, 00:53
I'm with the one-liter folks. On the AT, it's pretty easy to drink your fill along the trail before you need to set up camp. You can wash or cook or whatever you need to do at stream crossings or springs before you camp. I never understood the need to carry a gallon or more of water to a campsite, but that's just my style I guess. Too much desert hiking maybe.

Alligator
02-29-2012, 01:37
I've never understood how people get by with a liter of water from the time of their last water stop until the next water stop the following morning. I'd be parched plus I wouldn't have any water for tea nor breakfast. That whole stopping at every water source (including side trail mileage) plus stopping to cook dinner and moving on is a hassle for some, it certainly is for me. I do my miles, make camp, fetch water once, eat my two dinners, have plenty of beverages, have water for breakfast, even enough to start with.

daddytwosticks
02-29-2012, 08:07
I usually carry up to 1.5 liters while hiking in plastic sports drink bottles. I'm a heavy sweater and drink alot (water that is). The platy zip bags are for carrying/storing water while at camp. I do not hike with these "zipper" bags full of water in/on my pack. Never had a water bottle or bag failure issue yet. :)

The Cleaner
02-29-2012, 09:43
I'm with the one-liter folks. On the AT, it's pretty easy to drink your fill along the trail before you need to set up camp. You can wash or cook or whatever you need to do at stream crossings or springs before you camp. I never understood the need to carry a gallon or more of water to a campsite, but that's just my style I guess. Too much desert hiking maybe. Washing anything at or near a water source is not a good idea.....on par with throwing trash in a firepit thinking someone else will burn it...

hobby
02-29-2012, 10:40
I have used these for years. http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___80728 I fill up once at camp, hang it, and am done. I leave it filled with untreated water and use out of the bag for cooking or treating as needed. Works great for a small group. We filter out of the bag, if someone brings a filter. Otherwise, I use polar pur or steripen to treat. Just boil for cooking.
It does not close, but a bag of water can be carried in your hand to a camp, if not too far. Plenty for cooking, cleaning, drinking and filling up for the next day.
Have talked to someone that filled zip-locks and stored them in the bag, in the pack, for 2 days water supply in desert conditions.

QiWiz
02-29-2012, 17:39
On trail I drink out of 2 x 20 ounce gatorade bottles partially to fully filled depending on what I expect to encounter as I hike in terms of water sources. In camp I fill 2 x 2 liter platypuses or Evernew equivalents. This gives me enough for dinner, overnight hydration, breakfast, and 2 full gatorades in the morning. Having 2 platypuses also gives me a backup in case one is damaged beyond my ability to do field repair. It also gives me a carrying capacity of almost 6 liters total, in the event that I have to cover long waterless stretches of trail. In some areas you might need even more, but this is pretty rarely encountered.

In camp I also use a homemade silnylon water bag for personal cleanup and laundry washing away from other hikers, the trail, and the water source. LNT!