PDA

View Full Version : Mooning the Cog

mdionne
03-22-2005, 22:31
When did it become tradition to moon the Mt. Washington cog and who started it?

grrickar
03-23-2005, 00:36
I can't comment on the cog, but it appears to be tradition to moon just about any train when it passes in the rural South. My parents and I rode a train from HSV to Chattanooga on year and we all got mooned. It actually made some people's day oddly enough. One older lady exclaimed "it was a man!!" Hehe, some were paying more attention than others. Quite good fun I guess, just standing there mooning a whole trainload of people as they go by :D

rickb
03-23-2005, 07:41
"When did it become tradition to moon the Mt. Washington cog and who started it?"

Not a tradition. Just a relatively new fad.

Some current Trail icons might have you believe otherwise, but its not.

Rick B

chomp
03-23-2005, 09:57
Not a tradition. Just a relatively new fad.

Actually, that is incorrect, this tradition has been going on for quite some time. To support my claim, here is at one first hand account of a Lakes Cru member mooning the cog in the 60's.

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/at/0211/msg00702.html

Gonzo!
03-24-2005, 09:32
Perhaps this is a tradition with the Hut Cru, but I agree with Rick. I also hiked thru in '83 and saw or heard nothing of any mooning activity by thruhikers. I also hiked thru in '85 and '89 and did not encounter it. I think I mooned it one time when I led a group of kids from camp moosilauke over Washinton, but never new any thru hiker to have done it back then. I suppose with the advent of ultralite hiking, the hikers have more energy to devote to extra activities other than getting on up the trail.

Duggie
03-31-2005, 14:33
I wouldn't call it a tradition. More of a reoccuring statement. I never witnessed it, but it sounded like an attempt by some to show there disapproval of the interaction between the Cog and the AT. Each of which are permitted uses of the White Mountain National Forest.

There used to be a thread on the AMC website before they flushed Mountains and Molehills. It was a spirited debate that went on and on with over 2000 posts I think.

Alligator
04-01-2005, 11:37

There used to be a thread on the AMC website before they flushed Mountains and Molehills. It was a spirited debate that went on and on with over 2000 posts I think.Bare ass tends to spur the most intellectual discussions:jump .

icemanat95
04-06-2005, 12:35
A friend and I have spent many hours discussing more significant and lasting things to do to the Cog, always in jest, but also in great technical detail.

While I recognize and respect the historical value of the Cog Railway, it is a filthy beast.

"ME & U"
04-06-2005, 13:41
I'll add..
While hiking thru, "ME&U" and Magic had a great chance to moon the cog.
Ya, ya... I know it's inapropriate behavior and gives hikers a bad name and bla bla bla but we had a fun laugh and no one was hurt. The funny part was the train operators got a big kick out of it and started hucking coal at us...
Makes ya wonder if all the coal surrounding the railway is from hiker's moons.
You had to see the faces of all the passengers on their ride to the top of the world... priceless!

p.s. "ME" has the best hiker butt I ever saw! :banana

SavageLlama
04-06-2005, 20:56
Aaah, brings back memories of college when we would moon the Circle Line ferry boats that were loaded with tourists as they cruised around NYC.

Duggie
04-07-2005, 13:46
While I recognize and respect the historical value of the Cog Railway, it is a filthy beast.
and what makes it even more of a filthy beast is the vulgar, bathroom humor, display it provokes.

aka "the smog railway".