PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic When Does The "Pack" Reach Maryland ?

Rif
02-26-2012, 11:51
While a thru hike is not in reach any time soon for me I would love to provide a little trail magic here in Maryland.

When could I expect the majority of thru hikers to pass through Maryland and is there a trailhead spot that would be best to provide snacks, fruit and cold drinks to people when they need it most ?

I can easily access anywhere from Penmar to Weaverton and my work schedule gives me Fridays off. Just trying to plan ahead a little bit before they get here so I could line up a few Fridays to help them.

Thanks,
Rif

Cookerhiker
02-26-2012, 16:23
On June 12, 2006, I did an unadvertised one-man hiker feed at Gathland State Park and served 17 thruhikers. I don't know if that was "peak" but it was certainly worthwhile and gratifying. Gathland is an ideal spot. The Trail passes by 30' from the picnic pavilion where you can set up; being a roofed pavilion, you don't have to worry about rain. It's in an open grassy area so hikers can't miss it. The pavilion has grills which I used for the burgers & hot dogs and plenty of tables on which to spread out.

soilman
02-26-2012, 16:51
I agree with Cookerhiker. Mid June is probably a good time and either Gathland SP or Penmar would be good sites. I hit MD on June 15 in 2010. I left Springer on April 7 which was probably right after the peak.

Rif
02-26-2012, 20:44
Thanks. I was thinking June would be about right from the thru hike journals I have followed. Gathland does have an ideal location with the picnic grounds and all. I will scout out Penmar between now and then to refresh my memory of the place.........last time I went through there was on a weeks AT hike during spring break from high school..........in 1974 ! Did I mention I have been away from hiking for a long time?

It seems my mid-life crisis has me enjoying activities from years ago and I have never been more thrilled to be back hiking and backpacking again. I wanted a chance to help a bunch of hungry hikers with some fresh foods and get to share a bit of their journeys. I thought this may be a fun way to spend a few Fridays to get summer started.

Tony

I had not fully thought out a menu yet but had been thinking of fresh fruits and juices, home made cookies and baked goods, etc...... stuff they might be missing on the trail.

Tony

Cookerhiker
02-26-2012, 21:13
Having suggested Gathland and reporting how my hiker feed there was successful, I will add that one advantage to PenMar is that it's further removed from Harpers Ferry where the thuhikers would presumably have stocked up and gorged themselves. Gathland is reachable within 1 day from HF. So perhaps the setup would be better appreciated at PenMar which also has roofed pavilions with plenty of tables.

...I had not fully thought out a menu yet but had been thinking of fresh fruits and juices, home made cookies and baked goods, etc...... stuff they might be missing on the trail.

Tony

Yes to all the above. I like to cook and bake so I made homemade potato salad, homemade brownies, homemade lime squares, and lots of strawberries - local and in season. Also had burgers (including a few vegetarian choices) and hot dogs along with chips & pretzels.

Rif
02-27-2012, 07:12
Thanks Cookerhiker. That is the kind of info I was after. I was trying to think of where it would be most needed and further north might be best.

Tony