PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Camper Goes to the Ground

DarkBunny
02-26-2012, 15:31
Hey guys, camped last year using a hammock as I was solo. This year I am looking to take my daughter with me on some short overnights. She will be 6 and about 40 pounds. I am looking at two tents in particular and would like feedback on these or anything else you feel would be good in my very restricted price range (~$250). The two I've done research on are Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo and TarpTent Squall 2. Any feedback really appreciated, TIA.

Derek81pci
02-26-2012, 15:39
Check Campmor.com <hot deals> ~> <tents> section. They have about 10 right now. Some are under $140. I don't know your dimensions and all that so not going to post a bunch of tents that may be useless for you. Give it a look.

moongoddess
02-28-2012, 11:59
You might want to also look at a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo as well. VERY roomy two-person tent, and there are two models which fit in your price range: the new Lunar Duo Outfitter, which is heavier at 57 ounces but costs only $160 dollars, and the older model Lunar Duo which weighs 39 ounces and is currently available on a closeout sale for $260 (look in the Bargain Bin on the Six Moons website). The Lunar Duo is roomy enough that it will work for you and your daughter right up until she's grown, while I think you'll find the Lunar Solo will become a tight squeeze as she grows bigger.

The Squall 2 is also a nice tent. Do you have a preference with regards to front versus side entry? The Squall 2 is a front-entry model, while the Lunar Duo is a side entry model.

Stir Fry
02-28-2012, 12:33
Why not put her in a Hammock. Hang yous low and her above under the same tarp. I did this with my grand daughter in the back yard, she thought it was great. We ended up getting to sleep late she would not stop talking. She is also 6 yo.

Drybones
02-28-2012, 12:36
The Tarptent Double Rainbow is a good choice, 40 oz, lots of space for bigger guys and gear, goes up and comes down easy and handles high wind well.