PDA

View Full Version : Trails with Shelters

Tuts
02-26-2012, 15:52
Hey all,
I've been trying to figure out which of our nation's trails have shelters though their entire lengths. So far, I've found only the AT, Cohos Trail, Long Trail, Northville-Placid Trail, Mass. Midstate Trail (sorta), Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail, and a couple others. It's very difficult to figure this out without going through every trail individually. Does anyone know anymore? I'm looking for trails that have shelters spaced close enough together so tahat a thru-hiker could do the entire thing without a tent. Thanks for any help.
Tuts

Cookerhiker
02-26-2012, 16:10
I don't know about the "whole length" but the Tuscarora Trail has several shelters.

Same with the Allegheny Trail - if I counted correctly, 7 shelters over its 290 miles but they're not spaced out widely. Some are less than a day's hike from the other.

The best example of frequent shelters that I can think of (excluding those already on your list) is the 70 mile Laurel Highlands Trail in PA. Shelters are frequent and you're required to stay in them; in fact, you're required to make reservations for them.

I've been told that the Finger Lakes Trail has shelters but I don't know about their frequency.

Tuts
02-26-2012, 16:22
I already knew about the Laurel Highlands Trail but forgot to list it on my list. It's a tough thing, finding this information out. I am looking only for those trails with shelters through the entire length. Thanks for the help though.

Slo-go'en
02-26-2012, 21:26
The Cohos trail does not have shelters the whole way. There are a few widely scattered shelters and maybe more being planned, but not right now.

I think other then the AT and the LT, none have shelters spaced a day apart the whole way. And even on the AT/LT you'd best carry a tent or other shelter anyway. You can never rely solely on using shelters.

Tuts
02-26-2012, 23:47
Actually, when I did the AT and then the LT the next year I did them both without a tent and didn't have any problems. As long as it's within 20-25 miles from the previous shelter, then I can make it from one to another in a day. So that's my parameter. I knew about the Cohos Trail, I actually put that there by mistake. Hopefully, some people will know of more trails that fit these parameters.

The Cohos trail does not have shelters the whole way. There are a few widely scattered shelters and maybe more being planned, but not right now.

I think other then the AT and the LT, none have shelters spaced a day apart the whole way. And even on the AT/LT you'd best carry a tent or other shelter anyway. You can never rely solely on using shelters.

Amanita
02-27-2012, 08:54
I think what Slo-go'en (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?17852-Slo-go-en) is trying to point out is that just because there is a shelter doesn't mean you can 100% count on using it. All it takes is one college orientation group, or a troop of boy scouts, or someone creepy, or an annoying group (loud, drunk) to make the shelter unavailable for the night. Or as happened last summer there were several shelters that burned down, and many hikers did not know until they got there. I really enjoy using the shelters, but even a poncho tarp at least gives you the insurance that if you can't use the shelter you will still have a dry (or relatively dry-ish) place to sleep if you cannot use a shelter. <10oz seems a small penalty to pay, and in the case of a poncho tarp it doubles as rain gear.

ki0eh
02-27-2012, 09:54
Finger Lakes Trail has plenty of lean-tos with more being added all the time. When Nimblewill Nomad hiked the NCT he found each one of the lean-tos empty every night, obviously there is no guarantee. The End-to-End guide is available here http://www.fingerlakestrail.org/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=FLTS&Category_Code=GS - if my recollection is correct the westerly 350+ miles or so of the trail is pretty well covered lean-to-wise, but there's probably over a day long gap between (roughly) the Susquehanna River (i.e. nearly a week east of the NCT split-off) and the Catskills.

Tuscarora Trail is still a bit short of complete coverage but PATC is working on the two remaining sites in PA that would give coverage at least to strong hikers, I'm less familiar with the situation south of the Potomac.

PA's Standing Stone Trail has one shelter, ideas yes but not really definite plans for more, check back in 10 years.

handlebar
02-27-2012, 11:57
Shelters also on the backpacking trail in Oil Creek SP. Not really a long distance trail, but a nice destination for a weekend trip from Pittsburgh, Cleveland areas. Shelters have fireplace built into front side and there is usually split wood available nearby. $5/nite/person for non-PA residents and must be reserved in advance.