PDA

View Full Version : Duck or Gorilla Tape?

joedannajr
02-26-2012, 19:56
Which do you prefer to do in the field repairs with Duck (duct) or Gorilla Tape?

swjohnsey
02-26-2012, 19:58
Gorilla.......

WalksInDark
02-26-2012, 21:36
Gorilla...duck tape seems to leak and run adhesive when the temps soar.

vamelungeon
02-27-2012, 08:54
Gorilla. It's much more "heavy duty" than ordinary duct tape.

Drybones
02-27-2012, 10:26
I'm not certain of the spelling here but I have used Kryon (???) tape to repair sleeping bags, tents, down jackets and have washed and dried jackets & sleeping bags without losing down. The tape is very thin and almost unsceen after repair. I have a roll in my bag for repairs but I threw the small box away so I do not remember the exact name but it works great...$2.99 at Academy.

Cosmo
02-27-2012, 18:00
Gorilla won't conform to your feet and other parts when they blister or need protecting. It would do well for repairs of gear. I've had some holding bits of vinyl siding onto my house for a couple of years now.

Cosmo

brotheral
02-27-2012, 19:11
Gorilla. It's much more "heavy duty" than ordinary duct tape.
I'll have to get me some of this "Gorilla" tape and see where i can use it...

kayak karl
02-27-2012, 19:21
we use gorilla at work, but i don't think anything beats 3M Duct Tape. i use 3m for cuts and blisters. i don't like the gorilla for that. won't stick long to skin.

Toolshed
02-28-2012, 09:25
I can't see where gorilla outperforms the original 3M Duct Tape. I think it outperforms all those cheaper knockoffs, but not the original......

QiWiz
02-28-2012, 16:58
Favorite tape, bar none, is Leukotape. For your feet, for your pack repair, you name it. Sticks and conforms the best, very strong. Kind of expensive, but a roll lasts a long time.

Theosus
02-28-2012, 19:13
Gorilla tape is awesome but costly. Despite what the Lowes guy told me it is NOT good for constructing dryer duct systems. The heat melts the adhesive and the ducts fall apart. But it's nice for non heat related repairs.
Never tried any field repairs with it but I think it would work. I like electrical tape too, because it's so stretchy. It's great for cuts. I used to cut myself (accidentally!) all the time when I was young and dumb. A napkin folded up and taped over a cut tightly with electrical tape makes a great compression bandage for thirty minutes or so until the bleeding stops.

tuswm
03-01-2012, 15:51
I can't see where gorilla outperforms the original 3M Duct Tape. I think it outperforms all those cheaper knockoffs, but not the original......I agree with this. I have a roll of both gorill and real 3m duct tape. 3M is stickier and streonger and thicker and loast longer than gorilla.for anything tent and or down related. http://www.kenyonconsumer.com/store/product.php?productid=89&cat=4&page=For newer plastic feeling UL sleeping pads like the NeoAir (the whole kits is $3 and smaller than a quarter)http://www.rei.com/product/605460/park-glueless-patch-kitAlso a good tip for any adhesive is once you have cleaned the area and applied the tape put a pot of boiling water on it for about fifteen minutes. Dont worry 212* wont melt or harm even the most UL fabics.

Chubbs4U
03-01-2012, 16:04
The best tape to get is this. It will tear the paint off the wall so watch were you put it. Its called gaffer tape. Watch what you buy cause some of the "cheaper" stuff isnt as good.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/353365-REG/Permacel_Shurtape_Pro_Gaffer_Tape_2.html