PDA

View Full Version : Swollen ankles...what is the solution?

basketofpancakes
02-26-2012, 20:30
Another quick question that I've been thinking over, regarding footwear problems that I'd like to resolve before my April thru. I did a 110-mile hike last august on Isle Royale. We did 110 miles in 8 days, with 1 20-mile day and 3 15-mile days. I was wearing Mid-height hiking boots of decent quality (bought from REI). On the third day, I started to experience some pain in the tendons above both my ankles. I started loosening the laces on my shoes to relieve the pressure, until by the 6th day I was literally walking with untied shoes, the pain was pretty sharp and intense.

My first thought is that mid-height shoes that cover my ankles may just not be the right choice for me. My second thought is maybe my shoes were just undersized. My final thought is that maybe I did too many miles (although Isle Royale is not rough walking, and I started experiencing pain on the 3rd day, and I didn't have this problem on my April 2011 smokies section-hike on much tougher terrain, when I was just wearing crappy meijer running shoes).

In fact, my feet seemed to do considerably better during my Smokies section hike. It was not as long, with shorter days, but the elevation gain/loss is a lot and the terrain is much rockier. I never had any ankle problems, though I did have knee and hip pain on the 4th day (hiking without trekking poles is a bad idea, man they make a difference).

I'm thinking that I may just need to forgo the mid-size shoes. My feet didn't feel like they were bursting out of my shoes, even after they were swollen up like grapes on the 8th day, but the pressure on that area of my foot when your ankle bends was causing some trauma. I'm looking at Merrel Moab Ventilators, low-cut, for my thru. But I haven't bought yet. Any thoughts or experience from anyone here is appreciated.

Papa D
02-26-2012, 21:09
Increase shoe size by 1/2 size - go for the Ventilator shoes you are thinking of - check out La Sportiva shoes - they are the best hiking shoes made in my opinion - decrease sodium in your diet and drink more water

moldy
02-26-2012, 22:27
There is no solution. No adjustment, no perfect shoe, insole, or insert can help. Until you get your trail legs in about 3 weeks you will suffer. Take it easy on the weight and the miles. You can spend alot of money and effort like "AWOL" looking for something that does not exist. The 2 dozen or so outfitter stores make a good living selling the illusion that "this shoe will be perfect".

Blissful
02-26-2012, 22:30
Think you answered your own question.

Trail runners are softer on the tender tendons. And watch your miles.

basketofpancakes
02-26-2012, 22:58
There is no solution. No adjustment, no perfect shoe, insole, or insert can help. Until you get your trail legs in about 3 weeks you will suffer. Take it easy on the weight and the miles. You can spend alot of money and effort like "AWOL" looking for something that does not exist. The 2 dozen or so outfitter stores make a good living selling the illusion that "this shoe will be perfect".

I worded the thread title poorly. My ankles were indeed swollen, as was the rest of my foot, which I know is unavoidable. The problem I was having was injured muscle tendons (according to my friend, an RN, who was hiking with me). It took 1.5 months after the hike before the area fully healed and didn't hurt any more when I pushed on it. I'm not a complete newbie to backpacking, I know what sore feet and tons of blisters feel like, and generally you don't notice it as much while you are hiking, only when you stop. This was sharp, stabbing pain that makes you stop in your tracks and suck in your breath. To me that's a red flag--injury, not normal foot wear and tear. The kind of thing that will end your hike if you don't address it.

I probably figured out the solution on my own, but of course, I'm still worried, so I was hoping someone had the same exact problem and could offer some advice. I think the low-cut shoes will work fine. Appreciate everyone's input so far.

Bronk
02-27-2012, 03:22
Lose some weight...and by that I don't mean exercise more, I mean eat less. Adding the weight of a pack to your body weight is going to be a huge factor in painful feet and ankles, especially if you are not in shape for the miles you are doing.

People who are doing 20 mile days on the AT have been at it for months at a time...they build up to that. Maybe you aren't in good enough shape to do 20 mile days without causing an injury. Most people start the AT doing 5 to 10 miles a day and build up to higher miles. I've seen a lot of people just plain miserable because they plan a section hike for a few days and plan on doing big miles from day one and they aren't in shape for it.