PDA

View Full Version : What should I do this summer?

Papa D
02-26-2012, 21:33
I've thru-hiked the whole AT thru and have about 900 miles to go on a section style re-hike of the trail - more AT time is a serious consideration - I need MD-NY for one - - I've also end to ended the Long Trail. I've hiked little parts of the PCT and the whole JMT. I'm considering hiking 1/2 of the CT - I have 3 1/2 weeks in July - about 25 days or about 400 miles if I push it - - I'm in good shape and 20 AT miles per day is pretty standard for me ..... ideas? I'm up for an adventure (and a challenge).

fiddlehead
02-26-2012, 21:51
If you had about one more week, I would suggest you go do the Pyrenees HRP.
It's a bit of a cost factor to get to and from the trail but, one of the best and most memorable hikes I've ever done.
Here's a blog post I wrote up after the hike:
http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/pyrenees-high-route-our-journey-across-the-frontier/

Cookerhiker
02-26-2012, 22:23
July is when you want to get away from the East and the yucky humidity. 3.5 weeks = 24 days @20 mpd = 480 miles which is 6 miles short of the entire Colorado Trail. You can do it if you're acclimated; only you know how you handle high elevations. Personally, I'd wait on the CT until you have a bit more time. That is, if it's important to you to thruhike it. Planning half the CT allows time for acclimation, a more leisurely pace, and enjoying the cool trail towns. Salida (US Rt. 50) is the natural half-way dividing point.

Another idea: How about a 2-fer in the West, that is, 2 circumnavigating hikes about 100 miles each: Wonderland Trail and Tahoe Rim Trail.

Papa D
02-27-2012, 00:12
If you had about one more week, I would suggest you go do the Pyrenees HRP.
It's a bit of a cost factor to get to and from the trail but, one of the best and most memorable hikes I've ever done.
Here's a blog post I wrote up after the hike:
http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/pyrenees-high-route-our-journey-across-the-frontier/

wow - nice - I need to broaden my scope here - nice thanks

Papa D
02-27-2012, 00:15
July is when you want to get away from the East and the yucky humidity. 3.5 weeks = 24 days @20 mpd = 480 miles which is 6 miles short of the entire Colorado Trail. You can do it if you're acclimated; only you know how you handle high elevations. Personally, I'd wait on the CT until you have a bit more time. That is, if it's important to you to thruhike it. Planning half the CT allows time for acclimation, a more leisurely pace, and enjoying the cool trail towns. Salida (US Rt. 50) is the natural half-way dividing point.

Another idea: How about a 2-fer in the West, that is, 2 circumnavigating hikes about 100 miles each: Wonderland Trail and Tahoe Rim Trail.

I'm thinking about speed hiking the CT - my family would probably allow up to 4 weeks - I've done 30 mile days too - I'm a marathoner - I just like 18-22 mile days so I can see things, journal, etc.

TOMP
02-27-2012, 00:36
Hmm, depends on funds for travel, but I would highly recommend British Columbia. It is soo pretty. I hiked the WCT up there and its amazing. The WCT only takes 6 days to hike and can be done much faster if you time the tides right. But you can jump on to the Juan de Fuca trail and make it a 7-10 day hike. Also there are hundreds of nice trails in the Vancouver and Vancouver Island area. So if you want to stretch it to 3.5 weeks you could do a little bit of everything. Also the Canadian rockies arent to far away. Also no humidity and no ticks in BC.

Other ideas include: Grand Canyon area, 35 Catskill peaks, 45 Adrondack peaks, Redwood forest, Glacier national park.

Feral Bill
02-27-2012, 00:46
Glacier NP, Canadian Rockies, Yellowstone, Tetons, Wonderland Trail, etc. Lots of hiking in the west. Make it a road trip sampler, or explore an area in depth. Very different from the AT.

ocalacomputerguy
02-27-2012, 00:57
If you want a completely different challenge there is the Florida Scenic Trail. 1500 miles and growing.

brian039
02-27-2012, 20:23
I'm thinking about speed hiking the CT - my family would probably allow up to 4 weeks - I've done 30 mile days too - I'm a marathoner - I just like 18-22 mile days so I can see things, journal, etc.

You wouldn't have any problem doing 25-30 mile days on the CT in July if you're in 20mdp shape for the AT and still have plenty of time to chill in camp. 35 miles would be doable in many sections. And you would still enjoy the hike because your views are constant and you don't feel like you need to stop anywhere to take something in because you can see it for hours at a time without having to look down at your feet like on the AT.

rocketsocks
02-27-2012, 20:33
If air fare is in your budget,maybe some place like the British Ilse,Scotland,or Italy?

Papa D
02-27-2012, 21:16
Wow - thanks you all for the great ideas - airfare and other travel concerns would be possible - I'm a cheapskate in one sense but will spend what it takes to do it right in another - - I'm going to start researching BC but it is good to know how fast I could do the CT - thanks for your comment - Brian039 -hey, FYI in High School, I very briefly dated a girl from Guntersville, AL - she took me to the lake there - cool place.

d.o.c
02-27-2012, 21:19
hike the AT to rainbow land in the whites this year

Firefighter503
02-27-2012, 22:47
Pretty awesome list of options so far. If I may go off topic for a min - fiddlehead, what did your over all gear list look like for the Pyrenees look like? That is one of the places I was considering for a couple of weeks this year. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather.

flemdawg1
02-28-2012, 15:47
I've thru-hiked the whole AT thru and have about 900 miles to go on a section style re-hike of the trail - more AT time is a serious consideration - I need MD-NY for one - - I've also end to ended the Long Trail. I've hiked little parts of the PCT and the whole JMT. I'm considering hiking 1/2 of the CT - I have 3 1/2 weeks in July - about 25 days or about 400 miles if I push it - - I'm in good shape and 20 AT miles per day is pretty standard for me ..... ideas? I'm up for an adventure (and a challenge).

John Muir Trail