PDA

View Full Version : Departing From Maryland

rmsidell
02-26-2012, 21:40
Hey all. I am now in the process of planning my first AT hike. I am living in Baltimore, MD and wanted to hear from folks who have launched from this state. I suppose you could say that I am doing a "section hike" as I am not thru-hiking all the way from Georgia to Maine but I am still going to be walking 1,000+ miles. I am trying to arrange my hike so that I will run in to those of you who had started in Georgia and are making your way to the Harper's Ferry area. I just wanted to hear experiences and get advice about gear and things of this nature. I think that Harper's Ferry is the best place to launch in the Maryland area but I would love hear from you all regarding my plans...thanks!

ddanko2
02-26-2012, 22:13
I've been going NOBO and SOBO from Washington Monument State Park on my multi-day hikes in preparation for my thru this year. But being from Harford County I have some good trails up here too to prepare on.

BigHodag
02-26-2012, 23:32
In true hike your own hike spirit, Harpers Ferry is a good launching point. Its where I started. I went north to Harrisburg and met a lot of thrus overtaking me in late May / early June.

Don't be disappointed if you don't get to have long conversations with thrus as by MD they are doing big days and are somewhat cliquish. They come out of Harpers in small, tight, fast moving groups and they're in a bigger hurry to get into Harpers Ferry for photos, resupply and the psychological lift of "halfway".

A little trail magic has been known to soften them. I liked how Oak carried a bag of small snickers bars with him this past year.

rmsidell
02-27-2012, 08:17
Great then, Harper's Ferry it is! Are there good places for long term parking here? What specifically should I be considerate of when I am launching from this place?

Cookerhiker
02-27-2012, 08:25
Normally you could park in the Park Service visitors lot but there are limits - I think 2 weeks. Since you're talking about a 1,000 mile hike, I recommend taking AMTRAK from Baltimore to Washington and taking either the MARC or AMTRAK Capitol Limited line out to HF.