PDA

View Full Version : Where should I mail drop my summer sleeping bag?

Eywa Dude
02-26-2012, 22:39
Hey, guys. I am wondering where I can switch out my Feathered Friends Swift 20 deg. mummy bag for my el cheapo 50 deg. rectangular bag? I will be leaving on March, 18. I figure I'll need to mail my 50 deg. bag to somewhere in Virginia, but I don't know where. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Eywa Dude
02-26-2012, 22:42
I also forgot to ask: Where should I bounce my 20 deg. bag to in the north? Thanks again.

soilman
02-26-2012, 22:50
I picked up my Marmot pounder (50 degree) in Harpers Ferry. Needed it earlier, so Pearisburg would probably have been better. Sent it home in Hanover.

swjohnsey
02-26-2012, 22:52
After Mount Rogers, before the Whites.

garlic08
02-26-2012, 23:00
Some good advice I heard on the trail after misjudging it by a week (too early) was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid May) no matter where you are. So much depends on your pace and you don't know that yet. If you could have someone at home standing by to mail it to you when you have a good idea, it'll pay to be flexible.

Papa D
02-26-2012, 23:40
Some good advice I heard on the trail after misjudging it by a week (too early) was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid May) no matter where you are. So much depends on your pace and you don't know that yet. If you could have someone at home standing by to mail it to you when you have a good idea, it'll pay to be flexible.

YEP - pretty much spot-on here

SCRUB HIKER
02-27-2012, 01:21
Word. I misjudged it by a week also. Trail Days is a good idea. Baltimore Jack says in the resupply guide that he's seen it snow in the middle of Virginia on May 18--I was initially suspicious of that claim, but I totally believe it now. There will be a lot of warm days in the South before that which make it seem like winter's over, but if I were doing it again, I would absolutely play it safe. Being cold for two days/nights straight sucks (and is more dangerous) more than carrying an extra pound of sleeping bag for two weeks.

I made it through the Whites in late August with a 45-degree summer bag. In hindsight, that was probably a terrible idea. There were two nights that I spent in Huts where, if I had been forced to spend them outside, I would have been very very cold. So Lincoln would be the place to pick your winter bag back up again.

Tenderheart
02-27-2012, 11:40
Hey, guys. I am wondering where I can switch out my Feathered Friends Swift 20 deg. mummy bag for my el cheapo 50 deg. rectangular bag? I will be leaving on March, 18. I figure I'll need to mail my 50 deg. bag to somewhere in Virginia, but I don't know where. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Just get a 40 degree bag and keep it the whole way. That's what I did. But I didn't leave NOBO until April 17. Everybody leaves in early to mid March and then freezes to death for a month. Just my opinion.

HiKen2011
02-27-2012, 11:46
Just get a 40 degree bag and keep it the whole way. That's what I did. But I didn't leave NOBO until April 17. Everybody leaves in early to mid March and then freezes to death for a month. Just my opinion.

Believe it or not Tuts started in Feb. and used a 40 degree bag the whole way! Tougher than me for sure.

HiKen2011
02-27-2012, 11:47
I picked up my Marmot pounder (50 degree) in Harpers Ferry. Needed it earlier, so Pearisburg would probably have been better. Sent it home in Hanover.

Marmot pounder is a 40 degree bag.:)

Monkeywrench
02-27-2012, 13:27
Pearisburg & Glencliff.

max patch
02-27-2012, 14:01
Pearisburg and Hanover.

Don H
02-27-2012, 22:01
Pearisburg and Hanover.
Last year I started on 3/14 with a 20 degree Feathered Friends sleeping bag.
Got to Pearisburg on 4/30 and went to a Montebell ULSS #5 40 degree bag with a silk liner.
When I got to Hanover, NH on 7/12 I switched to a Montbell ULSS #3 30 degree bag and kept the silk liner.
Also used a NeoAir pad the entire trip.
A couple of nights I had to wear my down jacket but I was always warm enough.
Hope this helps.

soilman
02-27-2012, 22:22
Marmot pounder is a 40 degree bag.:)

It may be rated at 40 but I think even 50 is pushing it.

HiKen2011
02-27-2012, 22:49
It may be rated at 40 but I think even 50 is pushing it..

I actually tested mine on a 23 degree night with a lightweight base layer, socks and beanie. I slept pretty well til around 4 in the morning. I was in a tarp to. A pretty good bag IMHO.

RichardD
02-27-2012, 23:09
Advice I received here last year was Pearisburg and Glencliff. That advice was spot on. I actually swtched back to winter gear at Hanover as there was talk of Glencliff PO closing. (It turned very cold on us after traildays at Damascus and I was very glad to have my winter gear)