PDA

View Full Version : McAfee Knob Self-Shots

RWheeler
02-27-2012, 11:10
Here's my current random thought (which in the past has shown that others have had the same questions, but haven't asked, so here's to hoping I can get someone else's question answered too).

The picture of someone sitting on the edge of the Knob, showing how far it hangs out. This, to me, seems like you really need a 2nd person to handle the camera for you. The question I have is what is the layout of the terrain in that immediate area? If I set up my trekking pole in the rocks/soil/whatever, used it to mount my camera to the top, and then used a 10 sec timer, would I be able to get myself into the shot fine?

Kerosene
02-27-2012, 11:48
You can set up your camera on a small tripod on a rock slab (no soil) just across from the ledge. A 10-second delay should be enough time for you to run around and get in the photo, but probably not enough time to safely sit on the edge with your legs hanging off.
If you hit McAfee Knob on a weekend or on a nice afternoon then there will likely be other people in the area. In fact, sometimes it is difficult to get a solo shot because there are so many people milling about.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2012, 12:49
I see pictures of people sitting on that ledge and think to myself "no way am I going to do that!" Good thing it's been socked in the couple of times I've been by there so I haven't been tempted to try!

Six-Six
02-27-2012, 13:27
I got my dangle shot by asking someone who was sitting around admiring the view. They were friendly and perfectly willing to help out.

But here's another alternative: set your camera to shoot a video and then take your time getting in position. Later, capture a single shot from the video - that way you can select just the right one of you waving your arms and dangling your feet..

Blissful
02-27-2012, 13:31
It's a popular spot, hopefully someone can take it for you.

WingedMonkey
02-27-2012, 13:47
When i did my ledge sitting (I'm scared to hell of heights) the valley bellow was filled with the sounds of one of the biggest broods of cicadas emerging from their cycle. Their "singing " was amplified to almost unbearable levels from the surrounding area.

I wish I had sound recording on the old camera like I have now.

d.o.c
02-27-2012, 13:49
hyour better off getting a second person to take the picture.. if you wait there long enough even on crappy days someone will show up

Miner
02-27-2012, 18:14
Just make sure you give your camera to someone that you think you can run faster than. ;)

-SEEKER-
02-27-2012, 18:37
I agree with Kerosene. Probably not safe to run to the exact edge and dangle feet. I didn't feel safe just scooting out there.

Del Q
02-27-2012, 21:35
Paranoid, yes...............but at some point that little edge might just fall / sheer off.

On the Cicada front, I camped the night before reaching McAfee Knob...........was at the Tinker Cliffs, the sound was DEAFENING........glad I had ear plugs!

Big Dawg
02-28-2012, 01:32
If all goes well, I should be at McAfee Knob on the morning of 3/10. I'm hiking a section w/ a friend, so pic taking won't be a problem. We plan to hike up to McAfee after staying at the shelter just south of there. I'm totally stoked, and am hoping for excellent weather. I've been seeing the pics of McAfee since many years ago when I started section hiking the trail. If feels great to be so close to finally create my own McAfee moment!!!

JaxHiker
03-07-2012, 11:35
Does your camera have a remote?

WalkinHome
03-07-2012, 12:44
I arrived alone and did not want to hang around so I rubber banded my camera in a nearby bush (very touchey LOL) and took a bunch of shots (film in 2000 so no preview) to make sure I got one good one. It worked. I had my pack on so I ran to the edge but slowed at the last minute for obvious reasons. Sitting, etc. was not an option with the timer. A small tripod/gorilla pod would work well I think.