PDA

View Full Version : How long should I plan for hiking from Grafton Notch to Katahdin?

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2012, 11:31
Howdy,

Thinking about our vacation this summer. We want to hop on the AT at rt26 and head north. Wonder if we can make it to Katahding in the 3 weeks of vacation we have. We don't plan on staying much in leanto's ; just keep walking until we pitch a tent. In the past we were comfortable in carrying 6-7 days of food with us, theoretical resupplys in Monson, Sugarloaf and one southern location are in the preliminary plans right now.

We don't have to make ti to Katahdin in our time. No big deal if we finish in Monson but in general I'm curious of opinions.

Thanks

Starman85
02-27-2012, 12:10
Think it took me 17 days on my thru-hike. If you are already in shape then 3 weeks is entirely possible but that is a rugged stretch of trail from Grafton Notch to past the Bigelow's. Hope you have a great hike regardless of the final destination!

Slo-go'en
02-27-2012, 12:38
3 weeks as a section hiker starting cold is going to be tight. I would plan on Grafton to Monson so you don't have to push hard, making a shelter to shelter hike more practical - especially if your starting out with 6-7 days of food. That will really slow you down the first couple of days out after each resupply.

Slo-go'en
02-27-2012, 12:44
BTW, your really gonna want to stay at shelters. Not only does it make life easier, but finding a place to pitch a tent in the Maine woods isn't that easy and in a lot of places, not practical. And if there is more than one of you, it gets even harder to find a suitable spot.

T.S.Kobzol
02-27-2012, 13:11
We'll see about the camping. I haven't had much trouble finding a place to sleep in Maine. Although we transplanted in 1988, we are now Mainers and this is our playground. We have hiked all of the big mountains more than once along the way already. Old Speck, Baldpate, Bigelow,Sugarloaf, Abraham,Katahdin,Saddleback, Doubletop but never as a long stretch. Long hikes were usually reserved for the Rockies or Alps. We also hike them in the winter.

My only unfamiliarity is mostly in sections between Andover and Saddleback, then after Bigelow between Bigelow and Monson although we did cross paths in those places as well while kayak camping and backcountry skiing.

Having said that, I understand that one stretch presents it's own cumulative challenges. I'd be perfectly content if we just made it to Monson.

BTW, your really gonna want to stay at shelters. Not only does it make life easier, but finding a place to pitch a tent in the Maine woods isn't that easy and in a lot of places, not practical. And if there is more than one of you, it gets even harder to find a suitable spot.

clowd
02-27-2012, 13:16
just a side note...you'll always be a transplant to mainers...one must be from there...along with quite a few generations before you'd be considered a mainer...i know...i'm one of the transplants...i was told...just because a cat has her kittens in an oven doesn't make them biscuits...:)

Blissful
02-27-2012, 13:28
I can see doing shelters sometimes but I also found lovely campsites. There are many designated campsite areas too. Don't miss that chance to enjoy Maine from outside nasty wood walls.

DLANOIE
02-27-2012, 13:51
I havent found any shelters in Maine to be nasty. I too am "from AWAY". I live in Maine and have never had problems pitching a tent on or near the AT.

Rte 26 to Monson in 3 weeks is doable based on your post about your experience. Too bad you will miss the Mahoosuc Notch though. I personally love the stretch from Rte 26 to Gorham NH. The most rugged and pretty piece on the whole AT.

TJ aka Teej
02-27-2012, 17:50
Consider Gorham to Caratunk.

Tenderheart
02-28-2012, 17:47
Took me 17 days.