PDA

View Full Version : small trip in the middle of a thru

Aquaman12
02-27-2012, 11:38
My wife and I are starting the approach trail apr. 9. My wifes best friend that lives in colorado asked her to be in her wedding on aug. 11. We'll most likely fly out a couple days before and then probably fly back the day after. Im trying to find a roundabout of where we'll be a few days before the 11 of august. Hoping to hear from somebody that had about the same start date as us and can tell me where they were at the begining of august. I understand that all paces will be different but im just trying to get and idea. My idea is that boston will probably be where we fly out of. Any advice on how to handle this situation would be great too. Thanks!

max patch
02-27-2012, 11:57
Now thats a pretty good guess.

I started a couple weeks after you, but making the necessary calendar adjustments would have placed me at Cheshire MA -- almost due W of Boston.

An important caveat -- when hiking sometimes you feel like stopping early for a variety of reasons or you feel the need to spend an extra day in town. Hiking with your wife you will probably have twice as many days like this (one day you'll need to stop, the next time she may be the one to need to stop). Obviously don't know anything about your pace, and I'm certainly no speed hiker, but the dynamics of hiking with another person would suggest that you may not make it this far.

Starman85
02-27-2012, 12:01
Hello,
Not sure what the easiest way to get to Boston would be but I have two other thoughts. The Hartford, CT airport is not far from the trail (perhaps a 90 minute drive) and at least one airline, "Southwest" has direct flights to Denver. If you are up in Vermont by early August which is entirely possible, then the Manchester, NH airport might serve you well. If you are in Hanover, you can catch the "Dartmouth Coach" bus right to the airport. I thru-hiked in 85 and started 11 days before your planned start and passed through Hanover, NH on the 17th of July so that could well work for you. Best of luck on your hike.
Enviously, - The Starman

RWheeler
02-27-2012, 12:04
If the schedule puts you in MA like the above poster said, it'd most likely be easiest to get to Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks, CT (although it's treated as Hartford/Springfield). Airport code is BDL. I've gotten a direct flight into Colorado before, I believe it was on Delta, otherwise you'll likely be connecting through O'Hare (American, I think?) or Midway (Southwest, United).

Aquaman12
02-27-2012, 12:28
Thanks for all the advice so far...quick indeed! What does the price of flights at those smaller airports compare to larger airports like boston? I was thinking boston would have the cheapest flights. A straight thru flight would be prefered but cost could change that.

Starman85
02-27-2012, 12:40
You'd have to compare flights but in my experience, I often get a cheaper flight out of Manchester than I can from Boston. I think it may largely depend on the destination. In my quick check on Southwest.com, flights are available from Bradley Airport to Denver for less than $200 and less than $130 from Manchester (for August). Boston-Denver had some seats for less than $120

Aquaman12
03-05-2012, 00:08
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info. Depending where we have made it by August 9, we will be using either Hartford, CT or Manchester, NH.