PDA

View Full Version : Two Articles About AT

Mini-Mosey
03-23-2005, 08:00
Yesterday's Frederick News-Post(www.fredericknewspost.com)had TWO articles in the Health and Fitness section about AT thru-hikes. One, entitled "Steps for Stanley" is about a thruhike to be undertaken by two men to benefit the American Lung Association. The father of one of them(Jonathan Emlet)was diagnosed with emphysema the year after Jonathan was born(The father's name is Stanley, hence, "Steps for Stanley"). Ben Dearing, the other hiker hiking with him, has an aunt with lung cancer, and his grandfather died from a smoking-related heart attack. They are starting the hike on Sunday. Two websites that can be checked out for more info are www.stepsforstanley.kintera.org and www.alapa.org.

The other article is entitled "Bout of hantavirus altered AT hiker's plans". Adam Hoch is hiking the trail to promote his novel called "Providence Vanished." He wrote it after being forced off the trail during an attempted thruhike in 2003 due to contracting hantavirus. His web site is www.providencevanished.com. Interestingly, the article states that "In 12 years, he was the first person to get hantavirus from the trail." I thought someone had it in 1993 but I guess I'm wrong.

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 08:35
Yes, I thought there was a case about 10 years ago too.

Tabasco
03-23-2005, 08:47
Not trying to be a smartass, but...

First person in 12 years to catch the hantavirus...

2005-1993= 12 years

Mini-Mosey
03-24-2005, 18:58
I was going by the year this Hoch guy contracted it, which apparently was 2003, and 2003-12=1991. But maybe I WAS wrong to go by that date, and the article meant he was the only person in 12 years to get it. I'm glad 12 people didn't get it in 1 year!!