PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Route

ADKSherpa
02-27-2012, 17:20
I know this isn't completely AT related but there aren't a whole lot of forums on Katahdin (except for VFTT which I'm waiting to get in to...if anyone is a member and would be so nice as to "sponsor" me, I would greatly appreciate it!) so I thought I would try here. Mods, if this doesnt fit, feel free to delete it.

Anyway, a few friends and I are looking at taking on another classic Northeast peak this summer in Katahdin. We've nearly completed the Adirondack 46ers and did a 3-day thru-hike of the entire Presidential Range in NH last summer and we're hoping this will be as insane as that trip was. Anyway, we'd love to be able to do the loop over the entire massif: Howe, Hamlin, Baxter, South, Pamola. Howe is a little tricky, being on a dead-end trail but heres something I came up with:

After spending the night at Chimney Lake, take the Hamlin Ridge/North Basin trail to its end to Blueberry Knoll. Head east at the end of the trail until theres a safe place to head back WNW up the rocky Southwest ridge of Howe and meet the established trail on top.

Feasible? Ever been done? We have bushwhacking knowledge (several of the 'Daks 46-ers are "trailless") but I wasnt sure of the terrain's specifics. Is it possible to make it up on to the ridge? How navigable are the rocks along the top? Any suggestions on this (or even a better way of completing the loop) would be great. Thanks for the help!

Ryan :sun

TJ aka Teej
02-27-2012, 17:43
Ryan, VFFT is currently going through some changes as it changes hands and the way it is operated. Hang in there.
Your proposed route involves a trail closed due to habitat rehabilitation, but is constantly being whacked. There is a new trail out of Katahdin Lake headed in the direction you're considering. I suggest you call HQ as your hike nears to get up to the minute condition reports on the itinerary you're considering.

ADKSherpa
02-27-2012, 18:01
Ryan, VFFT is currently going through some changes as it changes hands and the way it is operated. Hang in there.
Your proposed route involves a trail closed due to habitat rehabilitation, but is constantly being whacked. There is a new trail out of Katahdin Lake headed in the direction you're considering. I suggest you call HQ as your hike nears to get up to the minute condition reports on the itinerary you're considering.

Interesting...which trail is the one closed? And can you give me any information on the new one? I definitely plan on giving them a call close to the trip, I'm just trying to get an idea so we can have a starting point and something to roughly base reservations on. Oh, and if I didn't mention, this is all for over the summer...sorry 'bout that. Thanks for all the help!

mudhead
02-28-2012, 07:13
Feasible? Ever been done? We have bushwhacking knowledge (several of the 'Daks 46-ers are "trailless") but I wasnt sure of the terrain's specifics. Is it possible to make it up on to the ridge? How navigable are the rocks along the top? Any suggestions on this (or even a better way of completing the loop) would be great. Thanks for the help!

Ryan :sun
No. Yes. Yes. Eh.

At the top of Hamlin, hang an East and out and back to Howe. Or continue on another 2? miles. After some biggy boulders on the back of Hamlin, big flat slab rocks. Howe is cool.

It would be much quicker and easier to go up and over by trail. You will burn the day friggin' with your proposed route. Wear a neon colored shell, in case they need to collect the carcass.:)

I do not like Dudley downhill.