PDA

View Full Version : Advice for all potential thru hikers

soilman
02-27-2012, 22:19
Here are some thoughts based on 35 years of hiking on the AT. (not continuously)

1. Hikers attempting to thru hike are not rock stars. Don't expect/demand special treatment on the trail or in town. Your actions and behavior will impact all hikers who come after you.
2. You are not a thru hiker until you walk your last mile. Until then you are nothing more or less than a hiker, section hiker, or what ever other classification you want to put on it. So don't treat others who have not declared themselves as thru hikers any differently. Statistically the odds are not in your favor to be successful in completing your thru hike.
3. Long distance hiking is not easy. If it was everyone would/could do it.
4. Respect and love the trail. Stay on the footpath, don't cut switchbacks, LNT, etc. Thank any trail maintainers or trail clubs you see. Without them there would be no trail. Don't bitch about the PUD's, trail conditions, etc. The clubs and maintainers are volunteers and doing the best they can. After you get off the trail, join the ATC or local club if you are not already a member. Do some trail work.
5. Enjoy yourself. Everyday will not be filled with sunshine and spectacular vistas, but after you get off the trail you will treasure every day spent on it. Several years ago while doing some trail maintenance on White Cap MT in ME I ran into a 60 something thru hiker. I asked him how his hike went and if he was excited to be almost finished. He said he could not wait to finish and hated every day he hiked. I asked him why he continued and he said he was military and he always finished something he started.
6. Don't believe half of what you read on this site. Many of these posters are right and they know it.

Zigzag
02-27-2012, 22:29
Thank you, very well said.

RodentWhisperer
02-27-2012, 23:22
Thanks for the advice!

CrumbSnatcher
02-27-2012, 23:27
1. pick up some trash along the way( make up for that candy wrapper that blew out of your hand, up on some windy ridge) :-)
2. be respectful
3. tip your waiter!

Shadowalker
02-28-2012, 00:54
Wow , I thought I was out of School , Well Said , Well Meant , Hoo,s Yu,re Babysitter , Leave the Trash Behind , Do Your Homework , Dont Fart In A Shelter , Leave your Dog at Home , Dont Where them Trail Erosion Shoes , Dont Piss Into the Wind !! Did I Miss Anything ??

4shot
02-28-2012, 07:45
good advice. One other thing I would add - quit worrying about what you have or don't have for gear. This can be adjusted/corrected very easily along the way so you don't have to arrive at Springer or K with everything in exact order. So take your best educated guess (pick thru this site for info) and adjust as nes=cdessary along the way.

ekeverette
02-28-2012, 08:36
you mentioned you met a 60 something thru hiker...... you said they were not a thru hiker until they finished.

Lone Wolf
02-28-2012, 08:44
you mentioned you met a 60 something thru hiker...... you said they were not a thru hiker until they finished.

hahahahaha. awesome

CrumbSnatcher
02-28-2012, 10:56
im thruhiking to become a 2,000 miler
im section hiking to become a 2,000 miler

Lone Wolf
02-28-2012, 10:59
last time i was springer someone asked me if i was thru hikin'. i said hell no, i just started

Storm
02-28-2012, 11:23
last time i was springer someone asked me if i was thru hikin'. i said hell no, i just started

Can I borrow that line?

coppertex
02-28-2012, 19:20
2. You are not a thru hiker until you walk your last mile. Until then you are nothing more or less than a hiker, section hiker, or what ever other classification you want to put on it. So don't treat others who have not declared themselves as thru hikers any differently. Statistically the odds are not in your favor to be successful in completing your thru hike.

Although I have not thru hiked, my opinion differs slightly on this. While I agree that you should not be on your high horse about being a thru hiker, you should start at Springer knowing you are hiking to Maine - a thru hiker. Saying "I'll be a thru hiker after I reach Katahdin" seems self defeating. After the trail and you are home, if you completed the trail you are still a thru hiker, but if did not complete the trail, you stopped being a thru hiker as soon as you stepped off.

Land_Shark
02-28-2012, 19:42
The funny thing about doing this is when your in the company of a PROFESIONAL HIKER/OUTDORRS PERSON you know it there is no mistaking who and what they are the rest are just want a b's the fact that we.are all trying to better our lives is were we ar similar this is were the convosation needs to be focused. To many have this superior attitude and when you weigh and measure them they come up wanting. Hope to see all out there and be safe. Cheers :-)

RWheeler
02-28-2012, 19:55
Although I have not thru hiked, my opinion differs slightly on this. While I agree that you should not be on your high horse about being a thru hiker, you should start at Springer knowing you are hiking to Maine - a thru hiker. Saying "I'll be a thru hiker after I reach Katahdin" seems self defeating. After the trail and you are home, if you completed the trail you are still a thru hiker, but if did not complete the trail, you stopped being a thru hiker as soon as you stepped off.

I'm with you on the first part. I'll be starting my thru-hike in just under 2 months. Once Springer is south of me, I'll consider myself a thru-hiker as I intend to continue until I reach Katahdin. I'll by no means claim to be a 2,000 Miler until I reach Katahdin, but for the journey leading up to it, I'll be a thru-hiker. It's a very different experience than someone day hiking or section hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail.

For me (at this point in time, anyway), I feel that once I'm off the trail, regardless of success or failure, I'm no longer a thru-hiker. Why? I'm not thru-hiking anymore. I may have completed a thru-hike or not, but it's no longer what would currently be defining my hiking. I'd tell others that I had completed a thru-hike, or that I was a thru-hiker.

My take on it, anyway.

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2012, 20:23
Nice thread starter - what prompted this?

rocketsocks
02-28-2012, 21:07
I'm with you on the first part. I'll be starting my thru-hike in just under 2 months. Once Springer is south of me, I'll consider myself a thru-hiker as I intend to continue until I reach Katahdin. I'll by no means claim to be a 2,000 Miler until I reach Katahdin, but for the journey leading up to it, I'll be a thru-hiker. It's a very different experience than someone day hiking or section hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail.

For me (at this point in time, anyway), I feel that once I'm off the trail, regardless of success or failure, I'm no longer a thru-hiker. Why? I'm not thru-hiking anymore. I may have completed a thru-hike or not, but it's no longer what would currently be defining my hiking. I'd tell others that I had completed a thru-hike, or that I was a thru-hiker.

My take on it, anyway.+1 on your(my)definition,with some comments.If you make it to the 2000 mile mark white line in the middle of the road,I would consider you a 2000 miler at least on the AT.As these terms seem to have originated on,for or from the AT? But outside of all that .I don't really care what you call yourself,not one tater tot.

4shot
02-28-2012, 21:09
. Once Springer is south of me, I'll consider myself a thru-hiker as I intend to continue until I reach Katahdin.

My take on it, anyway.

what worked for me...when i was on the trail, Ii had no idea whether I not I would actually finish. it was my strong desire to do so but I knew there where things outside of my control..injury, illness, things back at home, etc. I saw many capable hikers have to leave the trail for various reasons. So while I was on the trail, if asked by other hikers about my "hiker status"...I always told them that "I was attempting a thru-hike" because I did not know in Ga or Va or Pa or NH if I actually was a thru-hiker or not. That worked for me as I never wanted to claim to be something I wasn't.

ekeverette
02-28-2012, 21:48
no the op was grandiose and condescending...... who is he to dictate ones agenda. we all try, and that's the best we can do. i just want to hike to the best of my ability. i know how to be courteous to my fellow hikers and people.

Blissful
02-28-2012, 21:48
Here are some thoughts based on 35 years of hiking on the AT. (not continuously)

They are 2,000 milers like sectioners who finish the whole trail, plain and simple.
Doesn't matter if it takes 30 years or six months

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2012, 21:51
Blissful comes thru with the Confucius and removes all the doubt - Bam! You GO! Awesome....

4shot
02-28-2012, 22:02
They are 2,000 milers like sectioners who finish the whole trail, plain and simple.
Doesn't matter if it takes 30 years or six months

I walked a bit with soilman back in '10 although this is not his trail name. i think you are misinterpreting the spirit of his post. he is not talking about 2,000 milers...he's talking about the large majority of hikers on the trail who call themselves thru-hilers but get off in Franklin or Pearisburg or Hanover or wherever. People who are hiking the trail should just refer to his or herself as a 'hiker". To call oneself a thruhiker while in the midst of walking the trail is a bit brash and unrealistic if you look at the data.

soilman
02-28-2012, 22:56
no the op was grandiose and condescending...... who is he to dictate ones agenda. we all try, and that's the best we can do. i just want to hike to the best of my ability. i know how to be courteous to my fellow hikers and people.

I think you and others are missing the point of my OP. I am not trying to be grandiose or condescending. You may be courteous but there are a lot of hikers out there who are not. They treat other hikers who have not declared themselves as "thru hikers" as second class. I personally think it is more difficult to section hike and these folks deserve any props they can get. I don't care what title anyone hangs on oneself. I just don't think if you are attempting a thru hike you are any better or worse than any other hiker.

soilman
02-28-2012, 22:58
I walked a bit with soilman back in '10 although this is not his trail name. i think you are misinterpreting the spirit of his post. he is not talking about 2,000 milers...he's talking about the large majority of hikers on the trail who call themselves thru-hilers but get off in Franklin or Pearisburg or Hanover or wherever. People who are hiking the trail should just refer to his or herself as a 'hiker". To call oneself a thruhiker while in the midst of walking the trail is a bit brash and unrealistic if you look at the data.
Thanks for your support. Is that you Sticks?

TJ aka Teej
02-28-2012, 23:15
You are not a thru hiker until you walk your last mile.

Yeah... No.
If you are thru-hiking, you're a thru-hiker. You're not a 2000 miler until you finish the entire trail.

MuddyWaters
02-29-2012, 22:25
There is a difference in connotation between using "Thru-hiker" to describe a person attempting to thru-hike, and to describe one that has completed a thru-hike.

Some chose one definition, some choose the other. Those completing the thru-hike would largely prefer the latter obviously, because it distinguishes the accomplishment from the 90% that fail.

To me, it is most correct to say that you are attempting a thru hike, because of the ambiguous meaning.

When asked if they are a thru hiker, many just answer they are hiking to Maine, etc. However the meaning of the question is obviously if you are attempting anyway, at least if you are currently on the trail.

TOMP
02-29-2012, 23:49
So before I finish my thru-hike attempt, I will refer to myself as A. thru-hiker (stands for attempted thru-hiker) and after I finish I will refer to myself as a thru-hiker. This way there will be no confusion. This thread is evidence that people can get upset about anything and everything. Worry about yourself, let other worry about themselves. HYOH.

Mike2012
03-01-2012, 00:02
In my stubborn mind I will be, a thru hiker (in 11 days) once I start the approach. Got to think positive. Even now I am a section hiker having done portions in several states. If I have to get off the trail then I will become a section hiker again, yet to be completed. I don't like rules. For the Long Trail I will consider myself a section hiker since that will be a third or so done by the time I get to Rutland. I have thought about going right up the LT and then back to the AT up to Baxter. First I have to survive 10 days of waiting, the midnight train to Georgia, the approach, Blood Mtn, Fontana Dam, Smokies, Virginia, rocky PA, etc. etc. The mission is thru hiking the AT. The window seven months. Distractions very few. Plan, only one. Thru hike.

RWheeler
03-01-2012, 10:49
For the Long Trail I will consider myself a section hiker since that will be a third or so done by the time I get to Rutland. I have thought about going right up the LT and then back to the AT up to Baxter.

Interesting point. My initial feeling towards it is that I wouldn't consider myself any kind of "hiker" in relation to the LT, because it's not what the overall goal of my hike entails. I'll just... be on it at the same time as I'll be on the AT.

xokie
03-01-2012, 12:21
I'm through shoveling the sidewalk when the last shovel full is done. After the first I'm just shoveling.
I'm through walking to the store when I get to the store. When I leave the house I'm just walking.
I'm through chopping firewood when the last bit is stacked. When I pick up the maul...
Saying the job is done does not mean a thing.

Sandy of PA
03-01-2012, 12:30
When people ask me if I am thru-hiking I just tell them not yet. I am planning to hike thru all of VA this year! Just get out and hike!

Pony
03-01-2012, 12:57
no the op was grandiose and condescending.......

Quite the opposite actually. If every hiker conducted themselves on the trail like the OP does, then there wouldn't be discussions on here about hikers acting entitled, getting out of control drunk in town, and just plain acting like jerks.

Nooga
03-01-2012, 21:36
I sectioned hiked the AT and it took me 5 years. So I have hiked all the mills on the AT, but in my mind i'm not a thru hiker. This year when I start from Springer, I think I will be a thru hiker in that I am attempting a continuous hike and will keep that designation as long as I am still on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
03-01-2012, 21:47
This year when I start from Springer, I think I will be a thru hiker in that I am attempting a continuous hike and will keep that designation as long as I am still on the trail.winner winner chicken dinner! have a great hike :-)

Capt Nat
03-01-2012, 21:48
This is my first post here. I'm not sure I qualify to be called a hiker. I guess I'm just planning to walk up the trail from Springer to Katadin. Would I be a thru walker? Whatever you call me, I'll not be rude to anyone intentionally...

BudzoB
03-01-2012, 22:26
I find all the newbie advice and hiker labels all quite comical. Just go for a walk, enjoy the environment and all the fine folks you’ll meet along the way. Prepare as best you can and, if outside factors go your way, you’ll do fine.

Lone Wolf
03-01-2012, 22:29
I find all the newbie advice and hiker labels all quite comical. Just go for a walk, enjoy the environment and all the fine folks you’ll meet along the way. Prepare as best you can and, if outside factors go your way, you’ll do fine.

you "get" it :)

BudzoB
03-01-2012, 22:41
Lone Wolf......thanks from BudzoB, aka Hopalong!

Blue Jay
03-02-2012, 13:54

This is exactly the same thing as someone who has never driven a car giving advice on how to drive a car.

RWheeler
03-02-2012, 14:06
This is exactly the same thing as someone who has never driven a car giving advice on how to drive a car.

I think the OP meant that they haven't been on the trail for 35 straight years...

jacquelineanngrant
03-02-2012, 15:36
Nothing wrong with calling yourself a thru-hiker from the get go. If you start off planning to make it to Maine and you voice that thought often, you increase your chances of success. Words do have motivating power. Soilmans post does seem a bit negative. Most hikers that I've met on the trail are great people. Those that aren't courteous usually don't stay long.

4shot
03-02-2012, 16:00
Nothing wrong with calling yourself a thru-hiker from the get go. If you start off planning to make it to Maine and you voice that thought often, you increase your chances of success. Words do have motivating power. Soilmans post does seem a bit negative. Most hikers that I've met on the trail are great people. Those that aren't courteous usually don't stay long.

as Pony said, you won't meet a nicer guy than soilman. He is addressing his post (imo) to the minority of the hikers, not the majority as you say. This "vocal minority" are for the most part filtered out along the way thankfully. But it's this loud, boisterous, self-centered group that give the other 7% of thru-hikers a bad reputation.;)

Zipper
03-02-2012, 23:12
Here's my advice to those thru-hiking: Be pleasant to everyone - duh! And I like the one about picking up trash - I did my share of picking up little wrappers on the trail. I don't know if they were left behind by thru-hikers, section hikers, or day hikers. But I figured if I picked them up, then the next hiker wouldn't have to be distracted by a granola bar wrapper corner in the middle of the trail.

But absolutely most important: Don't wish away your hike. Don't wish away your morning thinking about how many miles you have to do. Don't wish away Connecticut trying to get to Massachusetts (even if it is full of mosquitoes!) Stay as present as you can on your hike. It's such a gift to have a chance to do something like this. When you find yourself wanting to be somewhere else, step back into the present and soak in the beauty of the woods. Or the highway overpass. Or the mouse-y shelter.

I was a flip-flopper. I figured some counted it as a thru, some didn't. I hiked the whole thing in 6.5 months. Oh, but I did take the blue blaze into Monson. And walked on Skyline Drive for 3 miles in the Shenandoahs. However you want to classify me, my hike remains one of the most fantastic things I ever did.

Best wishes to the class of 2012 and all others enjoying the trail this season!
Zipper
VA-ME VA-GA '09

Capt Nat
03-07-2012, 23:27
Soilman, it sounds like you are a treasure trove of hiking experience/knowledge. Jerks can be found almost everywhere. They are going to be found on the trail also among the ranks of thru-hikers, section hikers, and day hikers. I try to stay away from them as much as possible. They DO give everyone associated with them a bad name. Telling them not to be jerks isn't likely to be very effective. I try to make sure they see me purposely doing the right thing, hoping it provides a learning/growing opportunity for them. I think it seldom works but it's against the law to kill or even beat them so it's the only solution that I have.

hbc2194
03-08-2012, 13:19
Perfect! The rest of this, IMO, is just chewing gum for the brain.