PDA

View Full Version : Section Hiking from GA to NC... Is the road to Deep Gap closed?

GSLeader_in_NC
02-28-2012, 01:29
Everyone,

I will be solo hiking from Neel's Gap, GA to Deep Gap, NC (right near Standing Indian Shelter) in mid-March.

My family member will be driving up Hwy 71 to the parking lot at Deep Gap to pick me up.

Did I read that the road is closed, or am I just imaging I read it? I want to make sure he'll be able to do this...

Any help would be appreciated.

daddytwosticks
02-28-2012, 08:03
Google and call the appropriate USFS Ranger district. The road opens sometime in March, weather dependent. :)

jburgasser
02-28-2012, 08:43
That road doea close Jan 1 and opens again...I don't know. I just know it is open by May. The other reply that says sometime in March is right I assume. You should call The Sapphire Inn in Franklin, they probably know the date the gate opens or can at least direct you to someone who does know. And highway 71 is no highway, but a six mile single lane gravel road. It is in good shape though, mostly becuase it is closed in winter. Just make sure to give your ride a heads up.

Have a great hike! JB

max patch
02-28-2012, 08:55
Road is supposed to open 3/15 - since that is right around your hike I'd certainly verify that it was open. You can always do 3.5 mile Kimsey Creek trail from Deep Gap to Standing Indian Campground if closed.

Hooch
02-28-2012, 09:01
I'm prettty sure that the road to Deep Gap is closed until mid March or so. Give the Nanatahala Ranger District office a call, they can give you the skinny on it. Definitely reiterate Max Patch, it's a quick hike down the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground if the FS road is still locked.

GSLeader_in_NC
02-28-2012, 11:24
I read all the advice and decided that I will hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground. I've read where the 3.5 mile hike is a beautiful one, and it was shave over 10 miles of total driving for my husband.

Now I have to check and see if the road to Standing Indian Campground will be open!

Ron Haven
02-28-2012, 11:34
this road supposed to open March 15th

jbwood5
02-28-2012, 13:12
I read all the advice and decided that I will hike the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground. I've read where the 3.5 mile hike is a beautiful one, and it was shave over 10 miles of total driving for my husband.

Now I have to check and see if the road to Standing Indian Campground will be open!

You won't actually be able to get into the campground now, but the road to the left (just before the campground) continues just a little further to the Information board on your right. That is where the trail starts. I hiked up Kimsey Creek Trail 3 weekends ago and there is one place where you will get your feet wet crossing the creek. It's not a big deal unless the temps are well below freezing.