PDA

View Full Version : Disappointed at Blueridge Mountain Sports

OBXWaMi
02-28-2012, 10:27
Well, we stopped at Blue Ridge Mountain Sports in Virginia Beach last night.

It's obvious the sales associates don't work for commission. I'm not sure they cared if they made a sale at all.

The store was empty except the 2 associates, we walked in and headed for the backpack wall. After about 3 minutes I asked for help. I told the girl I was a newbie hiker and needed my first backpack. I also told her we had made a side-trip to stop there on our way home to NC from Delaware. There were about 20 or so big backpacks on the wall and more smaller ones on another display. She told me they would have a better selection in a couple of weeks and I should come back then. She said they were having a sidewalk sale/gear swap the first week of April and that she was selling her backpack then. I asked her to measure me so I'd have some idea what size I needed and she told me the device she had to measure me was for only one brand and it wouldn't be good for any other. I gave up on the backpack.

I stepped over to the sleeping bags and told her I have one, but it's an extra long, down one and I want a smaller one. She asked how I was storing mine and gave me some pointers, but that was about it. I asked which ones they had were down and she told me not many people around there used down. She said I'd be just as well off to buy a compression sack. I gave up on the sleeping bag.

The same sort of thing happened when I asked about the water filters and some stuff sacks and compression sacks. It was like pulling teeth trying to talk to her. And the guy that was working there never came out of the cash register area.

I know I'm a frumpy-looking, silver-haired, overweight, obvious newbie hiker, BUT I had $500 in my hand and was ready to spend it.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a LONG drive to REI.

Raul Perez
02-28-2012, 10:34
FWIW I've never been given any decent advice from any of the large stores EMS or REI.

Maybe it's a NY thing but most people in these stores have never hiked and made me (as a noob) very frustrated in getting actual good advice. I ended up learning more interacting with hiking forums and watching light weight and UL youtube videos than talking to a store employee.

May the force be with you.

peakbagger
02-28-2012, 10:49
Many of the outdoor stores are really selling fashion merchandise, the camping gear is generally there just for the atmosphere. They are going for the person who want to look like they are hiking the AT and wants to buy a hihg margin item on a whim.

Its hard to find a good outfitter and the internet has squeezed them so that its hard for them to stay in business.

Too bad you cant make it up to LL Bean in Freeport ME, they may be a fashion merchandiser but their associates are well trained and motivated and know their gear. Even if you are there at 2 in the morning, if you have a question, if someone in the store cant answer it they will call someone. Long ago I needed a large size backcountry skiing boot, they didnt have one my size in stock so they called the manufacturer and put me on the line. The manufactuer then went into his inventory and found other competitor stores in the region that might have the boot and called the one cloest to my house to see if they still had one in stock!

ekeverette
02-28-2012, 10:55
i mentioned to you a while back that outdoor provisions in greenville has really good stuff, and staff..... about hour and half from the obx.

turtle fast
02-28-2012, 11:03
At REI you can get good advice, it just depends who you are talking to. Some stores have an employee wall that has photos of employees out in the outdoors, but do not be shy to ask of the associates of their expertise. I have run in to a triple crown hiker (A hiker who has hiked the CDT Continental Divide Trail, AT Appalachian Trail, and PCT Pacific Crest Trail) working at the REI in North Atlanta, and a new hiker associate in the Pittsburgh store. You also have to remember that they tend not to recomend hiking items that they do not carry. However their gear is pretty good.

MaybeTomorrow
02-28-2012, 11:16
There is a new REI in Greensboro NC. But I wouldn't buy anything there.

I think the first thing you want to do when buying a set of gear is to strap your common sense on tight! Use your brain and don't blindly think that because a pack is on the wall in a nice shop with a big price tag its the right thing to use.

I like an army waterproof duffle bag with shoulder straps. It really is waterproof, something all those $300 bags are not. Cost $10. If I were to spend my first $500 here are some things I might get:

Pack, army duffle, waterproof one, $10
Sleeping Pad: walmart blue matt $6
Tarp, army poncho $15
Carbon Fiber Arrow $4, cut it up into tent stakes
A 12' foot long tent pole to serve as a central ridge of the poncho/tarp $10 + shipping off internet
Quilt, army poncho liner with the stuffing replaced with Primaloft One $15 + $30(?)
Aquimira drops $15
100' 550 cord (some for tarp, some for hanging a bear bag, and so on) $10
Cat Can alcohol stove, free
Couple of heavy duty leaf and lawn bags
Couple of gatoraid bottles, free
2 liter platypus $15
Stuff sacks, $1 each at the thrift store for those nylon day pack bags

Well that covers the basics: pack, tent, food, and water. Sorry I couldn't spend all your $500! Just drop
in Patagonia and pick out one item to spend the rest :p

Rocket Jones
02-28-2012, 13:25
I've had nothing but good experiences at that same store, but I called ahead and made sure an experienced hiker would be there when I went. When I got there, I specifically asked for that guy and had a productive (and rather expensive) visit.

Sorry to hear about the disappointing and worthless detour.

Blissful
02-28-2012, 15:07
If you ever come this way to hike any of Shenandoah, I'll take you over to Rockfish Gap Outfitters. They'll gear you up. :)
And we hope to vacation maybe at the Outer Banks in June. We love it there! (hubby likes to go sailing) ;)

Another option is the REI in Richmond, VA. Wade is there who is knowing gear pretty good and likes hiking and they also have a guy there who did sectioned VA and speaking on ultralight backpacking- so they are getting into the gear you need to hike the AT (much moreso than other stores) Tell them Blissful sent you (I speak there again on March 13 actually).
http://www.rei.com/stores/127

Land_Shark
02-28-2012, 17:00
Rockfish Gap those cats are hikers and very very cool. They can help and relate to hikers needs and not mention they have good prices. I do not work for them but larg stores fill spaces on the payroll and are not to concerned about customer service in reguards to knowledge concernning hiking

MedicineWoman2012
02-28-2012, 18:59
OBXWaMi... The Va Beach and OBX area does leave a lot to be desired for simple backpacking gear. I have had a very positive experience with the REI in Raleigh and their associates are very well experienced. Rebel has completed a thru of AT and PCT then JARRAD is also a thru hiker unsure of his other endeavors..then the Greensboro location actually has a seminar with Jen Pharr Davis on thru hiking AT. She is very helpful and makes herself available for questions after the seminar. I think you will find both locations very helpful.

xcess
02-28-2012, 19:33
Well if you make it to wilmington,nc try outdoor provisionals they will spend hours of time just speaking and answering questions for ya,even if u dont spend a dime.if you wanty their # just let me know

rocketsocks
02-28-2012, 19:37

It's obvious the sales associates don't work for commission. I'm not sure they cared if they made a sale at all.

The store was empty except the 2 associates, we walked in and headed for the backpack wall. After about 3 minutes I asked for help. I told the girl I was a newbie hiker and needed my first backpack. I also told her we had made a side-trip to stop there on our way home to NC from Delaware. There were about 20 or so big backpacks on the wall and more smaller ones on another display. She told me they would have a better selection in a couple of weeks and I should come back then. She said they were having a sidewalk sale/gear swap the first week of April and that she was selling her backpack then. I asked her to measure me so I'd have some idea what size I needed and she told me the device she had to measure me was for only one brand and it wouldn't be good for any other. I gave up on the backpack.

I stepped over to the sleeping bags and told her I have one, but it's an extra long, down one and I want a smaller one. She asked how I was storing mine and gave me some pointers, but that was about it. I asked which ones they had were down and she told me not many people around there used down. She said I'd be just as well off to buy a compression sack. I gave up on the sleeping bag.

The same sort of thing happened when I asked about the water filters and some stuff sacks and compression sacks. It was like pulling teeth trying to talk to her. And the guy that was working there never came out of the cash register area.

I know I'm a frumpy-looking, silver-haired, overweight, obvious newbie hiker, BUT I had $500 in my hand and was ready to spend it.

Looks like I'm going to have to make a LONG drive to REI.That really unfortunate you had a bad experience there.Two local outfitters where I live(EMS and Blue Ridge Mt.sports)have always been helpful to me,even after I got educated on gear here at White Blaze.The people at both of these places have employees who walk the walk.Twenty years ago Blue Ridge Mt.sports bought out "The Nickel a local out fitter in central NJ.had a climbing contest where they brought in a rock wall and at no expense to the contestants(I "died" for the last move but popped off)and My local EMS had a park clean-up where five bags of trash were gathered.Some of the employees at my local EMS just got back from a white Mt. training exercise that the fella said was great.I think the one time small outfitters(now box stores )get a bad rap,not sure where all the animosity comes from.That's to bad you had a bad experience,maybe write a letter,that can sometimes have a good effect.cheers

Wise Old Owl
02-28-2012, 19:38
Well - Blue Ridge is privately owned by Steven Nauss send an email to [email protected] atten to him...

FYI - I agree with you - I have never been there as I shop exclusively cottage and REI, & have given up on EMS. I have friends at EMS and I just choose not to shop there much.

There is a delicate balance between offering you help and educating you in a store... something that has been forgotten and today - folks do not want to be educated.

I know that people that work these places want dwindling employee discounts - an educated consumer can do better than a emp. discount. They are there because they have an interest in an outdoor sport - it might not be Backpacking, it might be kayaking... So suck it up- realize its just shopping today, it's not Nordstroms.

rocketsocks
02-28-2012, 19:40
That really unfortunate you had a bad experience there.Two local outfitters where I live(EMS and Blue Ridge Mt.sports)have always been helpful to me,even after I got educated on gear here at White Blaze.The people at both of these places have employees who walk the walk.Twenty years ago Blue Ridge Mt.sports bought out "The Nickel a local out fitter in central NJ.had a climbing contest where they brought in a rock wall and at no expense to the contestants(I "died" for the last move but popped off)and My local EMS had a park clean-up where five bags of trash were gathered.Some of the employees at my local EMS just got back from a white Mt. training exercise that the fella said was great.I think the one time small outfitters(now box stores )get a bad rap,not sure where all the animosity comes from.That's to bad you had a bad experience,maybe write a letter,that can sometimes have a good effect.cheersI guess "spell check" has never heard of "Dino"ing (not Died.)

Tuckahoe
02-28-2012, 21:16
When I was a kid, My dad would take me to both the BRMS and Kmart on Military Hwy in Norfolk, for my backpacking and hiking kit. Got one of my first stoves at Blue Ridge. Use to have a BRMS store in Williamsburg, but the store moved to Hampton for higher traffic.

Anyway, I find sometimes that its hit and miss with the kids that work at their stores. I think that with a lot of them they like to think of themselves as seasoned hikers, but they dont always know much about the gear or how to sell it to their customers. Ive had some similar experiences, and that was the case back in January when I was shopping for a new sleeping pad. On the other hand I have had some great service too. Bobby Hall at the Hampton store has always been very helpful.

BigRing
02-28-2012, 22:34
Send the company an email....!

Trail Bug
02-29-2012, 08:49
I shop there and the people working there have always been helpful when showing me packs, shoes, etc. I have never had a bad experience at that store.

eatapeach
02-29-2012, 09:50
If you ever come this way to hike any of Shenandoah, I'll take you over to Rockfish Gap Outfitters. They'll gear you up. :)
And we hope to vacation maybe at the Outer Banks in June. We love it there! (hubby likes to go sailing) ;)

Another option is the REI in Richmond, VA. Wade is there who is knowing gear pretty good and likes hiking and they also have a guy there who did sectioned VA and speaking on ultralight backpacking- so they are getting into the gear you need to hike the AT (much moreso than other stores) Tell them Blissful sent you (I speak there again on March 13 actually).

The guy at REI Richmond who sectioned is named Neil. He is really helpful and knowledgeable. He and another employee were marveling about a new titanium soda-can-looking stove the other day when I was there. They (and others there) are truly "into" hiking, and doing it right.

OBXWaMi
02-29-2012, 11:04

Blissful,
If you do vacation on the Outer Banks this summer you have to look us up! Go see a performance of The Lost Colony. My two daughters and my granddaughter perform in the show and I'm usually working in the concession stand. This will be our 11th consecutive summer being in the show!

If I happen into the Rockfish Gap Outfitters I'll tell them "Blissful sent me".

--Michelle

ambroseya
03-01-2012, 17:37
I like my Blue Ridge Mtn Sports so far - I actually bought a pack there today, but my store is >2mi from my house, so it wasn't a big trip. The employees were very helpful the first time I went in, in KEEPING me from spending my money, to make sure I get the correct equipment - but giving great advice - the man I talked with was actually a section hiker, and said other employees at our local store have thru-hiked - making it invaluable help. There are seasons for packs and such - when I went in a week ago, they were clearancing the last of last year's bags to make room for this year - and the pack I wanted was of course this year's model (figures, the cheap ones didn't fit me right) and I'm very happy with my choice so far - tried it out weighted, etc.

Spokes
03-01-2012, 18:51
.....I'm not sure they cared if they made a sale at all. ....It was like pulling teeth trying to talk to her. And the guy that was working there never came out of the cash register area.

Sounds like you should have just asked if either of them knows how long cheese stays fresh on the trail.

Gets 'em every time.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 18:56
Sounds like you should have just asked if either of them knows how long cheese stays fresh on the trail.

Gets 'em every time.

Sorry you had a bad experience.And "How do you keep Monkeys from getting your food bag at night"?

Spokes
03-01-2012, 20:02
Bada........ Bing!