PDA

View Full Version : Snow in North Carolina mountains?

Mlapekas
02-28-2012, 12:11
I'm planning a small section hike along the North Carolina and Tennessee Border in the beginning of march. My question is whether or not they still have snow along any of that trail. My exact hike i am planing is Allen Gap to Devils Fork Gap. Any info would be much appreciated, if there is snow advice on a diff trail would be appreciated as well.

Thanks

Stir Fry
02-28-2012, 12:26
Just keep an eye on the weather reports befor you go. This time of year you could get snow or ice about any time in that area or you could be walking in warm weather.

DavidNH
02-28-2012, 14:23
Early March in the Smokies? you should plan for snow or ice. Winter conditions are a real possibility.

Tennessee Viking
02-28-2012, 14:48
I'm planning a small section hike along the North Carolina and Tennessee Border in the beginning of march. My question is whether or not they still have snow along any of that trail. My exact hike i am planing is Allen Gap to Devils Fork Gap. Any info would be much appreciated, if there is snow advice on a diff trail would be appreciated as well.

ThanksGive 10-K a PM. He is Erwin, and has hiked that section multiple times.

Blissful
02-28-2012, 15:03
Check the weather forecast. Doubt there's anything there right now.

Nitrojoe
02-28-2012, 18:02
If you will be carring a cell phone, go to your carrier and have them install My CAST WEATHER. You can then get all the weather info you will need. Its so easy to use even a cave man can use it. Cell phone coverage is easy to get along the AT.

rocketsocks
02-28-2012, 18:43
And watch out for Tornados this year could be a good show...take pictures

Rebel
02-28-2012, 19:57
I just did this section, plus several more miles. I would most highly recommend that if there is any snow/ice on top to do the blue blaze around the rocks. The spine of the mountain is very rocky requiring, at times, hand over fist climbing. I would not want to be on these rocks with ANY snow/ice on them. You're going to be at an elevation, on top, at 4750 feet, so be aware that when you start your walk, at a much lower elevation...it could very easily be different on the summit.

Papa D
02-28-2012, 21:41
Give 10-K a PM. He is Erwin, and has hiked that section multiple times.

yep +1 to this - 10K esp knows what's going on between Hot Springs to Damascus -- if you are going to be south of that, you might contact Alpine at the NOC

wornoutboots
02-28-2012, 22:35
Watch the weather before you leave & be prepared for the worst & hope for the best as always. It's a great section

Mlapekas
02-29-2012, 12:04
Thanks everyone, i'll try and do all of that.

Memphis Tim
03-02-2012, 11:51
2008 the AT through SMNP- 50 degrees dry and sunny at Spence Field Shelter on St. Patrick's Day. 20 degrees, six inches of ice and snow Icewater Spring Shelter March 19. That noted The Smoky Mountains in the snow was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

bus
03-03-2012, 17:19
snow is forecast for the higher elevations and more northern sections along the TN/NC border sat night, sunday and sunday night. Next weekend looks warmer.

gunner76
03-04-2012, 13:51
It has snowed as late as early May around Boone