PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on AT section hike in GSMNP?

jtlee1
02-28-2012, 13:53
Is it possible to hike the AT in short sections, day hikes? Or do you have to commit to at least 30 miles before the nearest stopping point?

Ferrousknight
02-28-2012, 14:26
With short hikes, you're going to add significant side trail mileage, which will cut into the AT mileage you're trying to achieve. Are you looking for loop hikes/out and back or do you have a ride that can pick you up somewhere else at night?

I think that the biggest issue is going to be the Tricorner section, which is the most isolated stretch of the AT for a reason! You can either go up Snake den Ridge onto the AT and head south, or go up Low Gap. I hate both trails with a passion. They are boring, steep, and rocky. I don't think that there is any trail to reasonably get you out until you hit Newfound Gap, where the trail cuts across a road. That's ~24mi of AT if you choose the low gap route, plus a nasty 3mi start to your day.

I might be unaware of some, but you have good ways out at 1) Russel Field 2) Spence Field 3) Clingman's Dome 4) Newfound Gap 5) Inadu Knob (not a shelter, this is where snake den ridge trail intersects, partway to tricorner) 6) Low Gap

Have a map: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/BC-Map-july-11.pdf and an elevation profile: http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/gsmnpat.html

jbwood5
02-28-2012, 14:45
I've done Fontana Dam to Cades cove, leaving the Trail at Russel Field Shelter (walk down to Anthoney Creek and on to the Cades Cove campground). The only problem is, whoever is picking you up has a very tough road trip to go around the park and into Cades Cove.

jbwood5
02-28-2012, 14:47
Also, no cell phone service at all in Cades Cove and it is very sparce through most of the Park areas. It could be tough to coordinate a pickup time.

Blissful
02-28-2012, 15:01
You can hike whatever you want and use other trails to make circuit hikes. Why not?
You just can't stay in the shelter areas and some campsites without a reservation.