PDA

View Full Version : Here's what I've got so far...

OBXWaMi
02-28-2012, 13:53
I'll only be section hiking several days at a time...not a thru hike! Any input???

ALREADY HAVE
backpack: Outdoor Products Arrowhead (KMart)
tent: Eureka Apex 2XT (homemade tyvek footprint)
sleeping bag: REI, down, LONG (tag removed by previous owner)
2nd sleeping bag: Marlboro (something good came from years of hubby smoking?)
polar fleece sleeping bag liner
sleeping pad: LLBean Pathfinder, short
stove: homemade cat stove (2 of them)
rain gear: driducks trail pac
shoes: Merrill Moab--well broken in
cooking gear: Stanlely Camp Cook Set (tall metal cup/pot w/folding handle) not using the cups that came with it.
water: 2liter platypus and a gatorade bottle

NEED TO BUY:
Water purification: filter or drops??

CONSIDERING:
Different backpack
Different sleeping bag
One person tent: Eureka Backcountry 1

Juice
02-28-2012, 14:41
Is this for 1 or 2 people? if it's for 1, then do you know the temp rating on either sleeping bag and do you list both bags so you can mail yourself the warmer one further up the trail?

RWheeler
02-28-2012, 15:20
If you're section hiking, that list looks fine. I'm using AquaMira drops, but I'm also going on a thru. I'm not sure if a filter becomes more worthwhile in shorter sections, since you can clean it out once you're done and everything. Anything you can get by fine with for a few days at a time should be ok. And if it's not, then it's not like you need to suffer for very long before you can get rid of it and go to the drawing board for something else.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Feral Bill
02-28-2012, 15:26
That gear should work, especially in decent weather. The big advantage is you will be much better informed as you do upgrades later.

hikerboy57
02-28-2012, 15:31
how heavy is your pack, loaded?

RodentWhisperer
02-28-2012, 15:32
I'm thinking of the same question as Juice-- is this for one person or two? What seems to be missing, to me anyway, is any mention of your clothes (other than rain gear)... generally, you'll need to have a few layers (baselayer, insulation, shell), especially if you are hiking in cold weather. And, of course, "cotton kills," so avoid it like the plague.

I know you're going to get many different opinions regarding water purification, but your choice will likely depend upon three things: 1) how long you'll be on the trail for, 2) how much weight you're willing/able to carry, and 3) what technology you're most comfortable with (chemical treatment, physical filtration, electrical/UV power). From my own experience, a filter is easy to use, not too heavy, reliable; the cartridges last a good long time. But these days, if I'm heading out for less than a week, I take my Steripen, 'cos I know it works, it's lightweight, and I don't have to worry about mixing/tasting chemicals. If I'll be on the trail for more than a week, though, I take AquaMira-- even lighter weight, and it eliminates the risk of a dead battery.

Spokes
02-28-2012, 15:41
Sounds like you're at that stage when buying a bunch of useless equipment seems like the right thing to do. Resist the urge!

There's a tried and true gear list that's worked for countless thru hikers over the years and yields a cold weather pack base weight of between 16-18 lbs. If you want to know what it's just let me know and I'll send you the link.

Cheers!

dale1627
02-28-2012, 15:46
Spokes, I'd like to see the list. Could you post a link?

Dale

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Spokes
02-28-2012, 15:52
So it be said, so it be done!!

Here's the list link below from pack guru Winton Porter. Add a trash compactor bag for a liner and a 100 weight fleece if you want. Gloves and fleece cap are givens. Tweak it to go even lighter in warm weather.

Ignore the pop-up.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

BTW, read the whole 4 page article of you want. It's a good read for anyone considering thru hiking the AT.

As a bonus, here's a 10 page article I used when planning my thru hike way back when. It has lots of good info plus a summary of what to expect in each section. Again ignore the pop-up.

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Cheers All!

OBXWaMi
02-29-2012, 10:50
This list if for BOTH, one person and two, at this point. That's why I'm considering the second (solo) tent. When there are two of us hiking together one of us will carry the tent and the other will carry the kitchen/food.

As for the sleeping bags, I don't know the temp ratings. The REI is used and the previous owner cut off the tag. I spoke of it in another post just after I got it and by the weight and length I think someone said it was likely a 30 degree bag. It is HUGE by hiking standards, that's why I'm considering another one. The Marlboro bag is really just a slumber bag by all definition, but might be okay in the middle of summer. It is polar fleece inside and some sort of poly/nylon shell with no filling at all. I wouldn't carry it without having the extra polar fleece liner and a set of warm sleepwear just in case.

Spokes, thanks for the urging to avoid unnecessary purchases. I am prone to those at times. And thanks for posting those links.

On the subject of clothing, I have a set of synthetic long johns, a hiking skort and a polar fleece jacket. I'll double-duty my driduck rain set for wind gear if I need it and I'm considering a pair of convertable pants (I just haven't found a pair that are comfortable yet). I have synthetic socks and underwear (sorry, can't do comando) and I have fleece gloves and hat. AND since I like to be warmer rather than cooler when I sleep and I'm absolutely against sleeping in the clothes I wear in the daytime I have a pair of polar fleece pants and a cotton undershirt that I will probably carry. (YES, I know "cotton kills", but I'll risk it to sleep comfortably)

I'll post the weight of my loaded pack as soon as I take it up to the vet's office or post office to weigh it...LOL

RodentWhisperer
02-29-2012, 15:20
Thanks for the details. Convertible pants are a good choice, but I agree that finding a comfortable pair (that fits well!) can be a challenge. Try 'em on, and see what you can find.

And as far as I know, whatever you want to wear in your sleeping bag is the best choice. I've a friend who, on a CDT thru-hike, packed along some flannel PJs. She said the homey comfort was more than worth the extra weight. Just make sure you keep it dry, eh?:)

Bronk
03-01-2012, 05:21
I had a Eureka Backcountry 2 and it saw over 700 days in the field before I retired it. Eureka is not the most expensive or sexy brand out there, but they make good quality tents.