PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Thoughts

whadd99
02-28-2012, 15:33
Im sure this is beat to death but im currently using a MH Phantom 15 down bag which comes in at 33oz. What would be my best bet on reducing weight. If I go with a lighter warmer bag I feel like I will need to pack additional layers which may offset my weight loss. Any brands/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I sleep cold so I dont want anything warmer that a 30degree bag.

RWheeler
02-28-2012, 15:41
Invest in a Western Mountaineering. Very light, very warm, very very nice bags.

tuswm
02-28-2012, 19:05
I think you should look else where to lighten your load or you will regret it that first cold night. downs light. pack? sleeping pad? kitchen? stovelss? dehydrated water?

Juice
02-28-2012, 19:08
I have the Phantom 15 as well, mine weighs in at 35.15oz. Can you go lighter? Yes, but is it worth the cost to you? Western Mountaineering doesn't make a 15 degree bag that weighs less than 33oz however.

I got my bag pretty cheap at a climbing event silent auction so my motivation to spend $300-$400 to shave a couple ounces is pretty limited.

The next piece of UL sleeping equipment I buy will probably be a quilt.

T Hutch
02-28-2012, 20:26
i have a forty degree lafuma with a bag liner. hoping this will be alright, cause its what i have.

Juice
02-28-2012, 20:30
i have a forty degree lafuma with a bag liner. hoping this will be alright, cause its what i have.

I'd rather sweat than shiver!

T Hutch
02-28-2012, 20:32
meaning you think ill be cold?

mountain squid
02-28-2012, 20:41
Yes, and with a start date in Mar you will likely be very cold on numerous nights. The weather has been unseasonably warm and maybe you'll be lucky but I wouldn't count on it.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)
some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail))

T Hutch
02-28-2012, 20:45
damn, well i own a zero degree and the forty. so i guess ill have to dress warm at night.

bigcranky
02-28-2012, 20:59
That MH Phantom is a great bag. You won't find anything that warm that's much lighter. You could switch to a less-warm bag, but to see any real weight savings (i.e. more than a few ounces) you'll need to get a 35 or 40-F rated bag. Depending on your start date, that could get pretty cold at night.

@T Hutch, you're in Maine, yes? You should be able to test that Lafuma bag in cold temperatures.

T Hutch
02-28-2012, 21:06
yeah i have tested it some, sleeping with the window open and stuff, still 10-15 degrees outside. havent been out in a tent with it yet though. could always just fill a nalgene bottle with boiling water if i get real cold.

RWheeler
02-28-2012, 21:19
yeah i have tested it some, sleeping with the window open and stuff, still 10-15 degrees outside. havent been out in a tent with it yet though. could always just fill a nalgene bottle with boiling water if i get real cold.

Even with the window open, the temp in the room is still going to be above 40. You should take it outside.

swjohnsey
02-28-2012, 22:25
When you use a really light bag you have to compromise. I am using a 35 degree bag (WM Highlite, 16 oz) but I sleep in my insulation layer plus down booties on cold nights. Is it worth spending close to $300 to save a pound and maybe even be cold a night or two?

Oh, yeah, makes a big difference it you are sleeping in a tent (tent is warmer) and what sort of pad you are using.

Drybones
02-29-2012, 11:30
I thought I would have to purchase a new bag for the hike but was able to modify an old bag instead. I have an old 20 degree rated REI bag I purchased at a scratch and dent sale that slept okay to about 30 degrees and weighed 31 oz. I took the down from a jacket I hated and put 3.5 ounces in the bag and used tape to seal the insertion holes. The bag now weighs 34.5 oz and sleeps comfortable to at least 19 degrees. The tape I used held through wash and drying without losing down. I wouldn't recommend this for a newer bag but it worked for me. The jacket was "free" using Cabelas points and hung in the closet and would never be used...shame on me for not sending it back.

Drybones
02-29-2012, 11:43
Something to consider in addition to the bag is what type shelter you use. The smaller and tighter the shelter, the warmer it will be, and also the more condensation. Sleeping pad also and also if you're on the ground or hanging in a tree. I slept two nights in a 40 degree Marmot Atom and was comfortable at 30 & 33 degrees with a light base layer and sleeping in an REI Quarterdome tent which was almost like being in another mummy bag it was so tight, my shoulders were against the sides and my head and feet against the ends.

RWheeler
02-29-2012, 12:03
If you sacrificed an old down jacket, I hope you just removed the sleeves of it, kept the torso portion to use as a vest, possibly!

But great idea! I applaud the ingenuity.

DogPaw
02-29-2012, 12:29
I have no clue what brand mine is, but it's fairly warm and zips apart as a throw blanket. It's a bit heavy though, so I'm considering dropping it in favour of a blanket or two. Is that a terrible idea?