PDA

View Full Version : What happens to them?

HiKen2011
02-28-2012, 23:21
You guys ever notice that most of the potential thru hikers that ask questions, post comments, gather information and start threads seem to never return after their attempt-finish? Where do they go? Are they burnt out? Worn out? Embarrassed they didn't finish? Hmmmmm.:-?

HiKen2011
02-28-2012, 23:22
You guys ever notice that most of the potential thru hikers that ask questions, post comments, gather information and start threads seem to never return after their attempt-finish? Where do they go? Are they burnt out? Worn out? Embarrassed they didn't finish? Hmmmmm.:-?

I should have said return HERE on WB.

Sensei
02-29-2012, 04:38
Some of us decide to stick around. :)

But I know what you mean. The excitement level is obviously at an all-time high when you're planning a thru. Also, for a lot of people there simply isn't much need for loads of info once they're done.

Lone Wolf
02-29-2012, 08:11

fantasy and reality meet

Gray Blazer
02-29-2012, 08:20
They have a real life?

4shot
02-29-2012, 08:33
They have a real life?

Is there life beyond the internet?!? Who knew?;)

lush242000
02-29-2012, 10:02
on a side note i first stepped on the AT over 20 years ago. i found wb less than a year ago. just saying

Storm
02-29-2012, 10:07
I don't think I'll be doing near as much reading on Whiteblaze after my attempt. Just won't be that eager for any and all information. I do say that win, lose, or draw if I'm not dead I will return to Whiteblaze with a trip update. Just don't see not making it as a failure. There are just too many people my age sitting around letting their arteries harden. So if I make it 30 miles or 2000 miles I still think I was right to at least try. And look at all the knowledge I've picked up in the process, like "It's just walking" and "Sleep with your food". I know, shouldn't poke the Wolf but just couldn't resist.

Tenderheart
02-29-2012, 10:48
Good luck to you, Storm. I trust that you will fare well in your attempt.

Storm
02-29-2012, 11:01
Good luck to you, Storm. I trust that you will fare well in your attempt.
Thanks, will give my best shot. Want to at least have a scotch at Dot's.

Lone Wolf
02-29-2012, 11:04
Thanks, will give my best shot. Want to at least have a scotch at Dot's.
ain't no scotch at Dot's. beer only. i'll buy

turtle fast
02-29-2012, 11:20
Wolf - Don't ever shave the beard. I have to agree that in the excitement the hikers collect what they need, post questions, but after forget about the resource here. If you think that you know everything their is about hiking after you do the trail you are seriously wrong. Gear always changes and new ways of doing things always pop up. Trails always change and first hand information here on water conditions, or shuttling information, or anything else is invaluable. To forget about WB is to your loss. Not just for information on the AT, but many other trails as well.

RWheeler
02-29-2012, 12:16
I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I thoroughly enjoy sharing information and helping others acquire knowledge. I'll be back after I'm off the AT (might be some "readjustment time" before I do, but still) and I'll be sharing what worked for me, what didn't work for me, and provide my now-first-hand experience to the pool of WB knowledge.

While I'll certainly be disappointed if I don't complete the thru, I feel that I'll be even more likely to share my experiences. One of my mottos in life has been "You only fail if you've learned nothing from a mistake". Extrapolate 'mistake' to also include 'not reaching goals' or something, and boom. It'll be a strong learning opportunity. For me, and very likely for someone else.

Plus I don't intend the AT to be my last long distance hiking experience by any means. I'll always have more to learn.

Loneoak
02-29-2012, 12:26
I think it is very helpful for all of us who have never done any or long distance hikes, for those that really have, to chime in and give honest answers. I know it has helped me make choices. So I hope more of them tell us about there mistakes and what worked best for them. Good to see comparisons. So if you are one of the ones the OP mentioned, let us know what happened.

DavidNH
02-29-2012, 12:50
I for one am still around in White Blaze though far less often. My guess is that once someone has done the trail, they no longer need to ask questions, they have their experiences and opinions, and just move on with life.

DavidNH

4shot
02-29-2012, 13:08
I for one am still around in White Blaze though far less often. My guess is that once someone has done the trail, they no longer need to ask questions, they have their experiences and opinions, and just move on with life.

DavidNH

^this. No need to fret over gear/can I make it?/what if.../how do I....anymore. If i had a set of maps and/or guidebook for the other long distance trails I could pack my stuff in about 2 hours and head out the door. What I didn't know would be figured out along the way. Still enjoy hiking but don't have to "think about it" as much.

Fireweed
02-29-2012, 13:38
I know that after leaving the trail last fall, I didn't get back on White Blaze right away. Then with this spring's attempt nearly here, I'm cruising the threads again. And, I guess I think little old lady posts are perhaps less in demand (not that they aren't useful). Maybe this will be the year of the little old lady hikers?

Gray Blazer
02-29-2012, 13:55
The name of the website is WhiteBlaze.net-A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts

I've never thru-hiked or attempted one, but, I am enthusiastic about the AT.

Maybe they lost their enthusiasm or just got over it. HYOH

DLANOIE
02-29-2012, 14:00
Im still here too. Though after my hike I was away for a couple years. Life changed after the trail. I moved, got married, had kids. You know, life happens and things constantly are changing. Im glad I did find WB again for sure. What turtle fast said is so true. If I didnt come here I would be out of the loop so to speak. And hiking is my life among other things. I find WB a great place to come and share my experiences and take advice from those with vast amounts of knowledge well beyond me. Not all who wander are lost, they just need a little nudge back to WB:cool::)

hikerboy57
02-29-2012, 14:16
i dunno, i think theres a lot of people on here that have come back to share. the rest were here before to find out what they needed to know, have no use for us anymore.

Prada
02-29-2012, 14:23
I'm just a section hiker, but I really enjoy coming here because I feel a part of something bigger than just myself and my own dreams. I like sharing in others dreams as well. I think I'll always keep coming back...and certainly always dream of doing a thru.

rocketsocks
02-29-2012, 15:35
It is difficult to take the pulse of why a person does not come back.Perhaps they just got tired of bouncing ideas off others,found what they needed to hear,were tired of getting kicked in the nuts when there opinion was shot all to hell,found themselves asking the question"why should I come to a site where all they do is bitch and put each other down and tearing apart the idea that is not the popular one.Me I find it amusing as all get out.and learned a few things in the interim.Though eventually I may just get bored,and have to move on to some new form of abuse.

rocketsocks
02-29-2012, 15:37
oh sorry forgot....;)

Blissful
02-29-2012, 15:47
Be nice if they come back to share in ideas, what worked and didn't work, etc.
For most, hiking is a selfish endeavor they keep to themselves. Which is fine if they want to do it that way. It's up to them. But I'm kinda like - what's the point in going all the way unless you help others realize the dream too? Or get involved, etc (like helping lead hiking groups or work with teen groups or BSA, do trail maintenance, get involved in clubs, etc). It means nothing on the grand scale of things if you just hike, go home and go back to work and keep it all to yourself.

rocketsocks
02-29-2012, 16:15
For most, hiking is a selfish endeavor they keep to themselves. Which is fine if they want to do it that way. It's up to them. But I'm kinda like - what's the point in going all the way unless you help others realize the dream too? Or get involved, etc (like helping lead hiking groups or work with teen groups or BSA, do trail maintenance, get involved in clubs, etc). It means nothing on the grand scale of things if you just hike, go home and go back to work and keep it all to yourself.Good point....did you send me a AMC registration form,cause someone sure did.And now I can no longer fly under the radar....So i'm going to join.

hikerboy57
02-29-2012, 16:21
Good point....did you send me a AMC registration form,cause someone sure did.And now I can no longer fly under the radar....So i'm going to join.

thats good news.now you can choose which side of the hut argument you're on.do i need to send you an atc app?

moocow
02-29-2012, 16:21
if people are anything like me they lurk. i've been reading this site since 2004. i've had an account the entire time but i'm really bad at forgetting any account info then opening a new one. even then i rarely post anything. its usually got something to do with reading the forum for a year then pondering a question that i haven't found an answer to. so it looks like i just disappear but in reality i don't.

i imagine that if you really have an interest in the trail you never lose that interest. but there are probably tons of people who hear about the trail, like the idea of it, stumble on the website in their research, post a few questions to get them going, find out how much work it would actually take then lose interest and disappear.

for a lot of people the idea of the trail is the idea of being able to escape reality and enjoy life for once. and then they discover the blood, sweat, money, time, and what it really means to get away from it all and then they back out. everyone likes the idea of getting away from work, politics, financial problems, familial problems, stress in general but they then have to realize that they aren't really going to get away from anything. they're only trading one form of stress for another. there are those that hear about the trail and then jump on it the next week without any real planning. some of them are successful in getting what they want out of life. there are others that do research and find whiteblaze. those people are like many of us, planners. when you plan it isn't like jumping on the trail without a care in the world. it's work. without an overwhelming longing for the trail, and in many cases, despite all that comes with it, they will never carry out their actions.

hikerboy57
02-29-2012, 16:31
For most, hiking is a selfish endeavor they keep to themselves. Which is fine if they want to do it that way. It's up to them. But I'm kinda like - what's the point in going all the way unless you help others realize the dream too? Or get involved, etc (like helping lead hiking groups or work with teen groups or BSA, do trail maintenance, get involved in clubs, etc). It means nothing on the grand scale of things if you just hike, go home and go back to work and keep it all to yourself.

blissful, its people like you that keep me coming back. ive learned so much from your posts, and its nice to know there are many out there that do give back, whether its here on WB or thru trail maintenance, contributions to maintaining clubs.

rocketsocks
02-29-2012, 16:36
that's good news.now you can choose which side of the hut argument you're on.do i need to send you an atc app?Just got one yesterday

rocketsocks
02-29-2012, 17:21
blissful, its people like you that keep me coming back. ive learned so much from your posts, and its nice to know there are many out there that do give back, whether its here on WB or thru trail maintenance, contributions to maintaining clubs.I too have always enjoyed your posts+1

Amanita
02-29-2012, 22:43
I'm not/never have been a thru hiker, but I know I spent a lot less time on WB last summer than I did leading up to last summer. If the weather is nice and I don't have other commitments I'd rather be outside than browsing this forum. But this time of year, when it's dark and cold and I have other obligations (school and work) WB helps me daydream about all the trips I'll take once the snow melts.

Hawkwind61
02-29-2012, 22:51
Some of us lurk and lurk and lurk.... ;-)

Tinker
03-01-2012, 00:16
I only know two thruhikers very well, personally. Wrongway_08 (hiked with him on a couple of shakedown hikes before his '08 trip), and Peanut (who partnered up with Wrongway for a while) and I met her through him. Both have moved on to other trails and lives. They still hike on the AT, but it's not an obsession like it was before their thrus.

WingedMonkey
03-01-2012, 12:11
seem to never return after their attempt-finish? Where do they go? Are they burnt out? Worn out? Embarrassed they didn't finish? Hmmmmm.:-?

I've asked the same question on here, about failed thru hike attempts. I think that was the question. I think some change names and still lurk. For those few that step up and tell others what went wrong, they can be a great help to future hike attempts. For those that regroup and try again...good for you.

Someone who loves all that spreadsheet stuff (not me) should pull out last years announced "Class of 2011" and find how many that failed are still active on WB.

Their advice can be as useful as those that were "successful"

:sun

stranger
03-01-2012, 17:54
I think the original post is a tad on the arrogant side personally, beause how would anyone etiher have the time, or the motivation, to figure out who is a newbie, then who has stuck around, and who hasn't, etc...

So no, I haven't noticed people disappearing, however...why would they?

Most people who are members of sites like this are only members so they can post questions, othewise they probably wouldn't ever join. Then there are those who check in monthly or weekly, then some every day, etc... For someone that is new to hiking, especially long-distance hiking, this is argubly the best place to find information that I know. Sure you have to ignore 50% of comments but the other 50% is usually quite useful.

It's pretty simply to me, I think anyone who was that newbie heading into their first long hike would be overwhelmed with enthusiam and would post accordingly. When I was first starting there was no internet, you would put ads out in the Appalachian Trailway News and hope someone would call you haha. But when Trailplace came out it was sooooo amazing to have that resource at the time!

But then, people head out and do their hike, they thru-hike, do a big section, quit at Neels Gap, quit in Tennessee, etc... and the 'magic' is somewhat gone. There is also a process that I believe everyone goes through, it's based on adult group learning but I think it applies to hikers as well, but on a individual level:
1. Forming (figuring it all out)
2. Storming (realising your expectations were wrong, you need new gear, it's more expensive than thought, etc)
3. Norming (settling down, it's just walking, the trail becomes comfortable)
4. Peforming (at your best, making miles, got everything ironed out, in top shape)
5. Mourning (mouring the hike is over)

I think the last point, is what is occuring...people are mourning their hike. If I was mouring anything, I would probably want to put some space between me and whatever I am mourning.

Unfortunately, most hikers don't make it very far, let alone finish. So there will be some level of pride that will be damaged, or perhaps they are embarrassed. I can identify with that, I think anyone who has been unsuccessful at a thru-hike attempt would be.

But again, I don't like the 'tone' of the OP. Perhaps I'm senstive today :)

Datto
03-01-2012, 18:56
Eleven years after my AT thru-hike I'm still here. A few other thru-hikers are here too from Year 2000.

It's hard to believe it's been that long of a time since I thru-hiked the AT. Seems like a year or two ago.

Datto

HiKen2011
03-01-2012, 19:41
I think the original post is a tad on the arrogant side personally, beause how would anyone etiher have the time, or the motivation, to figure out who is a newbie, then who has stuck around, and who hasn't, etc...

So no, I haven't noticed people disappearing, however...why would they?

Most people who are members of sites like this are only members so they can post questions, othewise they probably wouldn't ever join. Then there are those who check in monthly or weekly, then some every day, etc... For someone that is new to hiking, especially long-distance hiking, this is argubly the best place to find information that I know. Sure you have to ignore 50% of comments but the other 50% is usually quite useful.

It's pretty simply to me, I think anyone who was that newbie heading into their first long hike would be overwhelmed with enthusiam and would post accordingly. When I was first starting there was no internet, you would put ads out in the Appalachian Trailway News and hope someone would call you haha. But when Trailplace came out it was sooooo amazing to have that resource at the time!

But then, people head out and do their hike, they thru-hike, do a big section, quit at Neels Gap, quit in Tennessee, etc... and the 'magic' is somewhat gone. There is also a process that I believe everyone goes through, it's based on adult group learning but I think it applies to hikers as well, but on a individual level:
1. Forming (figuring it all out)
2. Storming (realising your expectations were wrong, you need new gear, it's more expensive than thought, etc)
3. Norming (settling down, it's just walking, the trail becomes comfortable)
4. Peforming (at your best, making miles, got everything ironed out, in top shape)
5. Mourning (mouring the hike is over)

I think the last point, is what is occuring...people are mourning their hike. If I was mouring anything, I would probably want to put some space between me and whatever I am mourning.

Unfortunately, most hikers don't make it very far, let alone finish. So there will be some level of pride that will be damaged, or perhaps they are embarrassed. I can identify with that, I think anyone who has been unsuccessful at a thru-hike attempt would be.

But again, I don't like the 'tone' of the OP. Perhaps I'm senstive today :)

No arrogance intended, just last year there loads of folks (won' t mention names) on this site asking questions, posting comments etc. and now they're gone. Just wonder what's happened that's all. :sun

stranger
03-01-2012, 22:53
Fair enough comrade...it's all good.

I guess 'they' don't see the need to return to Whiteblaze, perhaps for any variety of reasons, they might have moved on.

Maybe they are on the PCT or the Bibbulmun Track in Australia, Te Araroa in New Zealand?

Red Hat
03-02-2012, 00:10
Been here since 2003. I'm here off and on. Sometimes I get frustrated with some of the nonsense that goes on, and go away for a bit. But I always end up coming back. I, too, have noticed some folks especially ones that talk big about hiking and not using hostels, or motels, and not spending money, living off the land, etc... don't come back to WB afterwards. Like Lone Wolf said "reality hits".

Jim Adams
03-02-2012, 01:33
when they finish alot of hikers realize that although there is alot of good info on WB they now have more knowledge and experience than alot of posters and simply realize that along with the knowledge there is alot of drama on WB that they just don't need. ...just a thought.

geek

moocow
03-02-2012, 03:54
well i tried to search for an old post from about 6 months ago that just about summed up everything for me at that point, but it looks like that particular post was removed from the thread by a mod.

basically it described one whiteblazer's feelings upon giving up. he described how he doesn't understand how anyone could quit something they wanted so bad. that its a despicable proposition to give up on the trail. and that doing so just shows how weak and despicable the person had to have been to begin with. it was a whole quitters are losers speech that described how no person should even be able to look themselves in the mirror after making a choice like walking away.

i might be overexaggerating when i reenact the post. but i think that my interpretation of it is the point because it still expresses how it impacted me as i read it. i had not even attempted a thru-hike yet when i read it, but i was sickened by it. it made me want to give up on the trail completely just by knowing people with beliefs like that are even on the trail. i could only imagine the idea of someone coming off the trail two days before, jumping on whiteblaze to check in on some old friends and then having to read that. i've come off the trail before for one reason or another and i felt shame and disgust. everything inside of me was pulling me to get back on the trail. but when i remember that post it just eats away at my soul to think that even amongst this wonderful community of lovers of the AT there are those that despise the thought of me.

i'm still here, but what about all those that aren't? those that were criticized and ridiculed on this site. with some whiteblazers jumping on them and poking fun at them for their questions on 50 lb or even 30 lb pack lists; for wanting to take their dog on the trail; for having a little insecurity about the trail; for dreaming of the idea of taking the family on the trail; for daring to set a goal for themselves a little more than doing a thru-hike - maybe like setting a goal of a personal or all-time speed record; the list goes on. so when and if some of these guys come off the trail why would they ever want to come back to this site if they knew a few whiteblazers would only rub their faces in feces when they already feel crappy to begin with. and if they did complete their goals, i find it even more admirable to think that some of those people chose not to come back to the site to rub a few whiteblazers' face in feces.

this is definitely an incredible source of wonderful information on the trail and planning for the trail. i come back year after year. but a few bad apples will preach the HYOH philosophy but for some reason think their mission in life is to make it miserable and humiliating for many others who just want to learn about the trail.

4shot
03-02-2012, 07:35
i'm still here, but what about all those that aren't? those that were criticized and ridiculed on this site. with some whiteblazers jumping on them and poking fun at them for their questions on 50 lb or even 30 lb pack lists; for wanting to ....this is definitely an incredible source of wonderful information on the trail and planning for the trail. i come back year after year. but a few bad apples will preach the HYOH philosophy but for some reason think their mission in life is to make it miserable and humiliating for many others who just want to learn about the trail.

When you read this or any other website, a reader must keep in mind the fact that it is a website and is available to anyone who wants to post here under a psuedonym and has access to a computer. I often times read these threads and responses, especially from some of the more critical and/or prolific posters, and wonder if that person has ever even seen the trail.

Gray Blazer
03-02-2012, 08:35
[QUOTE=4shot;1261725 I often times read these threads and responses, especially from some of the more critical and/or prolific posters, and wonder if that person has ever even seen the trail.[/QUOTE]

I've seen the trail (Just any trail?). I cross the entire width of the FT everyday.

4shot
03-02-2012, 16:06
I've seen the trail (Just any trail?). I cross the entire width of the FT everyday.

so...when you walked across the width of the FT (?) did you call yourself a thru-hiker during the 6 or 7 seven steps it must have taken or did you wait until you got to the other side? :)

and was there trail magic? :sun

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 16:27
When you read this or any other website, a reader must keep in mind the fact that it is a website and is available to anyone who wants to post here under a psuedonym and has access to a computer. I often times read these threads and responses, especially from some of the more critical and/or prolific posters, and wonder if that person has ever even seen the trail.Why not remove all doubt,:-?and ask them.;):)

Zipper
03-02-2012, 22:59
I lurked on White Blaze before my hike. A lot. Zillions of hours. I was genuinely appreciative of all the information here, as well as the humorous entries. I didn't sign up to post until a few months ago - nearly three years after my hike. Now I hope to pass on some knowledge and encouragement for others planning a hike, whether it's a section or a thru or a flip-flop like mine.
I think from this point on in my life I'll try to get back to the AT at least once a year. I'm hiking for a few days on it in April in Virginia - can't wait! It's a very special place.