PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mountain

ljallen
03-23-2005, 16:43
Has anyone stopped over for a night in Roan Mountain? If so what kind of lodging do they offer? thanks

orangebug
03-23-2005, 17:51
Slept in the Roan High Point Shelter last November. The shelter is an enclosed 2 story building that once was the fire tower oberserver's housing. It was in bad shape with food left in the shelter, and mice running everywhere. There is good water, but no privy. This is an endangered area, hence camping outside of the shelter is highly discouraged.

There are areas near the bald that look like reasonable campsites with some tree shelter. I don't know when the restrooms and water service are restarted for the tourons.

Footslogger
03-23-2005, 17:56
Has anyone stopped over for a night in Roan Mountain? If so what kind of lodging do they offer? thanks===============================
I pitched a tent and slept on the bluff summit on my thru in 2003. Breathtaking view but don't know if I would suggest that to anyone in retrospect. There is a bathhouse at the summit, which we needed to duck into when the winds/rain came a comin.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
03-23-2005, 18:14
I hung my hammock in some trees near the shelter and had a good night with some thru-hikers cooking and eating by the fire in front of the shelter.

smokymtnsteve
03-23-2005, 18:20
good water???....suspect source,,make sure treat there.

Brushy Sage
03-23-2005, 18:28
Has anyone stopped over for a night in Roan Mountain? If so what kind of lodging do they offer? thanks

Do you mean the town of Roan Mountain, TN?

The Solemates
03-23-2005, 19:03
Do you mean the town of Roan Mountain, TN?

Yes, I believe that is what he means.

Although, the shelter isnt that far off the road at carvers gap (maybe an hour at most) so I would just stay there.

orangebug
03-23-2005, 21:16
good water???....suspect source,,make sure treat there.Survived another suspect water source! :banana

smokymtnsteve
03-23-2005, 21:34
Survived another suspect water source! :banana

yew jisst waite OB...yew gonna get sumnother kinda bug in yore belly, idun seed dat wahter at roan..it's wuz nastie lookin to me.

MedicineMan
03-24-2005, 02:37
The town itself is as suspect as the water mentioned in the threads above...try Roan Mtn. State Park and the cabins they rent there:

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/parks/RoanMtn/

The park is a good one with nice hiking trails, trout river, visitors center, etc.

Elizebethton, TN is only 15-20mins down the road and has more typical hotel offerings.

orangebug
03-24-2005, 21:35
yew jisst waite OB...yew gonna get sumnother kinda bug in yore belly, idun seed dat wahter at roan..it's wuz nastie lookin to me.Notice that the :banana is perpetually squatting. I prolly should have gone with :dance , as he has nothing happening heading south.

Last Fall, the water and the area were in pretty good shape, although I wouldn't be too surprised with problems during prime hiking season and summer. I hope they are able to place a privy in that area soon.

Tha Wookie
03-25-2005, 00:23
I hear the Cloudland hotel has some esquisite accomodations. Just don't cross that line with a drink in your hand.

MedicineMan
03-25-2005, 01:46
Wookie, i would love to go back in time and spend a weekend at the Cloudland. Must have been quite a party then.

Nearly Normal
03-25-2005, 03:34
After reading most of the 2004 journal posting I noticed a pattern of stomach ailments for that area. I figured the water was suspect. As it takes a while for some of these ailments to "bloom", water from a large area could be suspect.
I noticed in 2003 while in the area some of the steams had a very noticable growth.
Carvers gap and 19e crossings come to mind.

Many rural areas in the south have not quite come up to standard with proper sepic systems. Many years ago homes discharged sewage down hill just far enough not to effect the water well. Some of these homes still have not come up to local standards. It either discharges directly on open ground where rain moves it around or into a creek.
pete

Jack Tarlin
03-25-2005, 09:48
I've hiked thru this area a dozen times and never had a problem, and I drink much of my water straight.

There is no problem with the water here, at least none that requires more care and vigilance than you'd use anywhere else.

MedicineMan
03-25-2005, 23:23
and if you think about it most water problems are in the lowlands, so i would expect more 'ardias in maryland or new jersey. With Roan being so high one wouldnt expect it

orangebug
03-26-2005, 08:21
Roan High Bluff Shelter is close enough to roads and parking lots to attract a few tourons, as well as hikers with dogs.

Giardia cysts are there.

The question is whether it really matters, given that there are many other potential causes for GI disorders via poor hygiene and cooking.

smokymtnsteve
03-26-2005, 08:30
Roan High Bluff Shelter is close enough to roads and parking lots to attract a few tourons, as well as hikers with dogs.

Giardia cysts are there.

The question is whether it really matters, given that there are many other potential causes for GI disorders via poor hygiene and cooking.

as a matter of fact it is a very heavily used area ... and that spring is slow flowing, lots of folks camp above it, treating the water here is certainly prudent,

geoffrey morris
05-26-2005, 01:54
Hi ljallen, I live just above roan mnt. there are just a couple of places. General Wilder's Hostle and another place near the AT crossing on 19e. Other than that, it would be Hampton or Banner Elk.

Jaybird
05-26-2005, 06:09
the town of ROAN MTN has a small motel & of course, there's now a hostel there...as mentioned above.

The ROAN HIGH BALD is a cabin....not a shelter...even tho' it's listed as such....(a former fire warden cabin)..& IS the highest elevation on the A.T.

If you're not allergic to hitching there's several motels a few miles from ROAN MTN as well. :D

TOW
05-26-2005, 08:28
Roan High Knobs free and somebody may feed you some of their leftover ramens?????????

wanderer

bearbait2k4
05-31-2005, 21:56
After reading most of the 2004 journal posting I noticed a pattern of stomach ailments for that area. I figured the water was suspect. As it takes a while for some of these ailments to "bloom", water from a large area could be suspect.

There is a long stretch between Roan - just after the barn - that has lots of contaminated streams that are marked in Wingfoot's book, but I'm not sure if they're marked in other books. Old stills are in the area, I believe. Anyway, I don't think many people know or adhere to these stream warnings, and it doesn't really take more than just a couple of people during peak hiking season to contaminate everyone else.

Terry Hill
06-07-2005, 16:32
My name is Terry Hill
I have Mountain Harbour B&B and Hostel 1/3 mile North / West of the trail head on 19E go right if north bound or left is south bound. www.mountainharbour.net (http://www.mountainharbour.net/) Ph. # 866-772-9494. I do parking and shuttles. Update on motels-The Roan Mountain,Times Squares( Elk Park) and Shady Lawn ( Newland) motel's are all closed. The closest motels now are Banner Elk about 10 miles and Elizabethton about 20 miles. Sutton Browns in Hampton is closer than Elizabeton.

the town of ROAN MTN has a small motel & of course, there's now a hostel there...as mentioned above.

The ROAN HIGH BALD is a cabin....not a shelter...even tho' it's listed as such....(a former fire warden cabin)..& IS the highest elevation on the A.T.

If you're not allergic to hitching there's several motels a few miles from ROAN MTN as well. :D

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 16:38
Has the information on your hostel been submitted for inclusion in the AT Handbooks ??

'Slogger
AT 2003

Lone Wolf
06-07-2005, 16:42
What exactly are your hiker rates? Nothing listed on the website.

Jack Tarlin
06-07-2005, 17:16
Bearbait--

I just did this section a few days ago. According to many locals, except in a very few specific cases, the water in this section (both before and after 19E)is fine. Wingfoot to my knowledge hasn't hiked this section (or any other) in something like 14 years, and the ammount of nonsense about this section (unfriendly or dangerous locals, poisoned water, etc.,) is ridiculous. This is one of the best parts of the whiole Trail. People should go out and enjoy it without fear.

Sly
06-07-2005, 19:13
My name is Terry Hill
I have Mountain Harbour B&B and Hostel 1/3 mile North / West of the trail head on 19E go right if north bound or left is south bound. www.mountainharbour.net (http://www.mountainharbour.net/)

The Hiker's Cabin looks awesome, nice job!

MOWGLI
06-07-2005, 19:55
My name is Terry Hill
I have Mountain Harbour B&B and Hostel 1/3 mile North / West of the trail head on 19E go right if north bound or left is south bound. www.mountainharbour.net (http://www.mountainharbour.net/) Ph. # 866-772-9494. I do parking and shuttles. Update on motels-The Roan Mountain,Times Squares( Elk Park) and Shady Lawn ( Newland) motel's are all closed. The closest motels now are Banner Elk about 10 miles and Elizabethton about 20 miles. Sutton Browns in Hampton is closer than Elizabeton.

I just spoke to Terry and his wife and they sound like nice folks. Around 250 hikers have stayed with them in '05. It might be 253 by the end of the weekend.

Lone Wolf
06-07-2005, 19:57
How much $ does it cost?

MOWGLI
06-07-2005, 20:01
How much $ does it cost?

The hostel is $15 a head, or $60 if you rent it out private. Shuttles to Carvers are $17. Parking - $2/day. LW, did you check out the pix online? Looks nice.

Bolivershagnasty
06-07-2005, 20:19
Hey Mr. Morris can you run down and drink a big mouth full and give us a 'report" on the water quality there at 19e?...haha,,you don't have as far "to run" as we might,,

Lone Wolf
06-08-2005, 09:36
Yup. Saw the pics, Mowgli. Looks nice. Good prices too.

Lion King
06-08-2005, 21:49
Go see Buck at Bucks Beerwash and restaraunt. (West off the trail about 1/2 mile)
good folks there, and Buck is a cool cat. he will give you the shirt of his back, and if it isnt taken, he probally will let you stay in the apartment above the restaraunt for free.

Great Burgers and food there at good prices as well.

geoffrey morris
07-07-2005, 13:35
Hi all , as to the water quality @19e I couldn't tell you. I would think maybe not too good.At one time there were some mining operations in the area(later 1800's I think) and now many homes above that area and some really nasty people too. Folks like Richard Whitehead , the dude that trashes the trail everyday of his life for your viewing pleasure at the Bear br. rd. crossing. See my posts about him if your curious. Especially the one about the time I raised hell on his son for pouring old gas from his motorcycle into the creek. Gotta love people like this........read my posts if you like :-). But if your talking about Buck's place, I know this guy. Money is all that matters. The food at the resturant was **** . 2 friends and I ate there when it first opened, Buck had 2 boys, football players that I know personally, working the place. These guys couldn't burn toast. I was ridiculous, get this it took 45 min to get burger and fries and no tea(the tea maker was broken).The place was so cold that a family who was also waiting/suffering got up and paid for their drinks and left. Then after oh 30 min they tell us the deep fryer is also broken. I laughed my ass off and told them that they need to turn it on , dumbass punks. See, I know these boys from football, I have coached many of them. They can't cook. To make a long story short. Buck is despertly trying to sell the beer wash and the resturant/once room full of junk. And in my eyes Buck is attempting to look like a long and well established/profitable business in order to help sell that dump.Most of the townsfolk and local residends want rid of the beer wash and the scum in encourges. It will be history one day I think. Think about it, a 4 stall car wash converted into a beer/pool hall, wow off the subject a bomb went off in London a min ago ,not good.Ok back to the subject, who turns a car wash into a slizy beer joint anyway. Everyone used the car wash before now only the wilder side goes to the beer wash. Can you say Red Neck?? Hey what has 40 legs, 40 arms,200 fingers(+or - a few) and 6 teeth?The contence of the Beer Wash!!HEHE HAHA.
If you need water I have a well with no houses or live stock above me and its filtered. Was inspected by health dep when we purchesed this farm and is not contaninated. My contact info is 1 423 772 3425 or [email protected].

Sincerely,
G.