PDA

View Full Version : Those who hammock camp with pads and ccf foam for shoulders...

lkaluzi
02-29-2012, 17:03
For those of you who hammock camp with sleeping pads and use a cut section of ccf foam for your shoulders, what are the dimensions of your foam pad and how do you pack it in you backpack? I'm looking for some different suggestions.

Ender
02-29-2012, 17:47
When I used a pad in my hammock, I just used a standard 20"x72".

kayak karl
02-29-2012, 18:33
id recommend hammockforums:rolleyes:, but this might help.http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html

russb
02-29-2012, 18:34
For those of you who hammock camp with sleeping pads and use a cut section of ccf foam for your shoulders, what are the dimensions of your foam pad and how do you pack it in you backpack? I'm looking for some different suggestions.

The extra section of ccf pad I use for my shoulders was cut from the 20inch wide blue wallyworld pad. The length of pad was cut to fit the width of the hammock when laid out flat. This way it makes a nice half-pipe when I lay in it and it provides the insulation for my shoulders. By cutting it to fit in pad sleeve, it also spreads the hammock out nicely, so you don't feel so confined. Rememeber this section of pad is placed perpendicular to the other longer pad which goes the entire length of the hammock, but doesn't provide any side insulation.

As for packing them, I use the pads only in winter (from just below freezing all the way to subzero F). They get packed as a large cylinder attached to the top (or bottom) of my pack. They are bulky but lighter than an underquilt equivalent for those temps. I use my 2/3 underquilt in the other 3 seasons.

Nutbrown
02-29-2012, 19:32
you can also roll the shoulder section and put it as padding in your pack...depending on the pack you have. I use the ccf from under my feet as my pack support/back cusioning.

gunner76
02-29-2012, 19:48
When I use a pad I use a 24"+ wide waffle patteren blue pad from wallyworld. Wide enough for my shoulders that I do not need pad extensions/wings ect. Weighs 15 oz

rjjones
02-29-2012, 22:49
I have an UQ but use a pad for my feet.Ive cut a peice of my thermarest ridgerest about 36" long.Should work for shoulders also.For packing i just roll it and put it on top of my pack.

cowpoke
03-01-2012, 00:10
You might consider using a Speer Segmented Pad Extender (SPE)...not very expensive and solves the pad issue at your shoulder. Cheers.

tiptoe
03-01-2012, 13:41
I use a standard 20-in.-wide CCF pad, but cut it down from 72 inches to maybe 60, which is more than enough for me for summer hiking (I'm short). I put the pad diagonally in the hammock (Hennessey Asym), and it's plenty of coverage. If there are cold spots, I just put use my jacket or other garment to extend the coverage.

rockerZ71
03-01-2012, 14:42
I have a full size ridgerest that I have not used before but have packed up and ready to go for this weekend, I just rolled it up and stuffed it in my pack and allowed it to expand and then packed everything else inside it.

Dochartaigh
12-09-2014, 15:19
Bigger question for you: why do you use a pad in your hammock to begin with? Do you plan on doing a trip where you expect to have to "go to ground" and want the pad for then? ...I totally understand if it's because of the cost (high-end camping items are expensive!).

...just wondering because I've tried pads when I first started hammock camping, then quickly switched to underquilts; and the underquilt is SO much more comfortable it's not even funny. Totally different experience.

OCDave
12-09-2014, 15:57
...just wondering because I've tried pads when I first started hammock camping, then quickly switched to underquilts; and the underquilt is SO much more comfortable it's not even funny. Totally different experience.

+1. I used a pad for 60+ nights before buying my first down underquilt. I have used both self-inflating and closed-cell foam pads cut up into several different configurations. You can make a pad work but, it will never be as comfortable as an underquilt.

However, if restricted to a pad, your cheapest option ( < $10 in materials and 10 minutes of your time): Cut two 6 inch strips off the bottom of a full length CCF pad then connect those strips to each side of the remainder of the pad at shoulder level. Attached these extensions with 3 loops of Lash-it on each, similar to a 3 ring binder. To pack, fold the extensions in, roll and strap to the outside of your pack.

Good Luck

OCDave
12-09-2014, 16:04
... Attached these extensions with 3 loops of Lash-it on each, similar to a 3 ring binder. ...

Zing-it, Amsteel, Paracord, yarn ect equally effective to Lash-it. I have also used Duct tape but the adhesive eventually seems out and creates uncomfortable stickiness.

russb
12-09-2014, 17:37
Bigger question for you: why do you use a pad in your hammock to begin with? Do you plan on doing a trip where you expect to have to "go to ground" and want the pad for then? ...I totally understand if it's because of the cost (high-end camping items are expensive!).

I dont experience a loss of comfort. I have been using pads (in winter) and uqs (3-season) now for years. I attribute the non-loss of comfort to the hammock I use. Some hammocks mate well with pads, others are horrible partners.

Why ccf (in winter) instead of uqs? For me, no loss of comfort and at the temps and conditions of my winter, pads are significantly better insulation than uqs.

Old_Man
12-09-2014, 17:48
Why ccf (in winter) instead of uqs? For me, no loss of comfort and at the temps and conditions of my winter, pads are significantly better insulation than uqs.

I didn't realize that pads actually provide more warmth than uqs. I've been debating buying an uq but they're incredibly expensive. I may end up making one myself.

But now that I know pads are warmer, this makes me rethink things. Is one type of pad better than the other? I have the blue wallyworld cheapo ccf but I was thinking of upgrading to something a little better for my thru attempt.

YC 15
12-09-2014, 19:00
I use my thermarest z-lite in my gt nano and experience little loss of comfort. My shoulders fill out the 20" width and I have not implemented an extender. I had my 15* bag with alpine bag cover and z-lite down to 4* in the comfort of my yard. I suggest testing in controlled conditions to determine what works for you. I can't offer an opinion on quilts or extenders yet but I am pleased with the weight, function, comfort and price of my z-lite. However, it is not the most comfortable ground pad. I have had some luck with it doubled over as a torso pad with my pack insulating beneath my legs.

Dochartaigh
12-09-2014, 20:11
I dont experience a loss of comfort. I have been using pads (in winter) and uqs (3-season) now for years. I attribute the non-loss of comfort to the hammock I use. Some hammocks mate well with pads, others are horrible partners.

Totally understood. Just making sure you knew about the wonderfulness of underquilts (for 3 season use...I'm a wimp and never camp when it's below freezing ;)

LogHiking
12-09-2014, 20:12

This has been my experience 100%. I've owned a few high end UQs and ended up just going back to my ridgerest. Like everything else, everyone's experience is different and you simply have to find out what works best for you.

russb
12-09-2014, 20:16
I didn't realize that pads actually provide more warmth than uqs. I've been debating buying an uq but they're incredibly expensive. I may end up making one myself.

But now that I know pads are warmer, this makes me rethink things. Is one type of pad better than the other? I have the blue wallyworld cheapo ccf but I was thinking of upgrading to something a little better for my thru attempt.

Careful not to generalize too far from my statement. Some UQs will be warmer than some CCF, and vice-versa. In the conditions I use ccf, pound for pound the CCF is significantly the better insulation choice. In other conditions, uqs are the better choice. Take the right tool for the job.