PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight 2 Person Tent Suggestions??

lumpy
03-23-2005, 16:46
I've got a budget of $200.00 to $250.00 MAX and have narrowed it down to the following free-standing tents (not interested in tarp tents but would like to use that option with these):

1. MSR Zoid 2, weight 4lbs 10oz $199.00

2. Sierra Designs Lightning 2P, weight 4lbs 9oz, $249.99

3. Eureka Zeus EXO 2P, weight 3lbs 4oz, $139.95 (not really freestanding)

4. REI Quarter Dome, weight 4lbs 4oz, $219.00

5. I really like the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and MSR Hubba Hubba, but are out of my price range.

Any other tents I need to look at or feedback would be appreciated.

Lumpy

Peaks
03-23-2005, 17:04
Well, you have several good choices. But I don't see the Seirra Designs Clip Flashlight among them. That's a popular old standby.

The Eureka model is single wall. More prone to condensation that a double wall tent.

Zoid isn't really freestanding either. It requires a minimum of 4 stakes. Good tent.

Why limit yourself to freestanding tents? You can usually get a stake in where you need to. Even on platforms you can attach some line and tie off at the perimeter.

If you haven't tried on these tents, I recommend it. Spread out all your gear inside and see how it fits you (both?).

wolfgang
03-23-2005, 17:25
I ordered the seedhouse 2 light from rei. Since I'm an rei member I got 20% off which put it at about $260. Ummmm....they always have msr tents on ebay, I see the zoid, and hubba every week. Hope this is helpful, good luck.

The Cheat
03-23-2005, 17:30
I feel like a salesman for Alps (which I ain't), but I'm copying a reply I made on the "Lightweight Tent Suggestions??" thread here:

How about Alps Mountaineering? www.alpsmountaineering.com (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/)

They have a pro pricing for testers, and a discount for Scouts, so if you qualify for either you can get what looks like a pretty good tent for pretty cheap.

I am expecting a delivery of a Mystique 2 in the next couple of weeks. The Mystique's and the Taurus' look pretty good and they are lightweight in the smaller models.

The weights shown are total weight, tent, fly, poles, stakes, guy lines:

Mystique 1 - 3lb 11oz $99.99 ($40.00 pro price)

Taurus 1 - 3lb 15oz $99.99 ($40.00 pro price)

Mystique 1.5 - 4lb 3oz $119.99 ($48.00 pro price)

Taurus 1.5 - 4lb 11oz $119.99 ($48.00 pro price)

Glory Bound
03-23-2005, 17:39
I have one of the Eureka Zeus EXO 2's, and I have been very pleased.

It is not as prone to condensation as you might think (being a single wall), and it can be free-standing enough if necessary. I would recommend it highly.

Glory Bound
GA->ME '05

lumpy
03-23-2005, 17:47
Awesome, thanks for the input. I'll check out Alps Mountaineering. I need a 2 person tent for my size. I'm 6'7" and 245lbs (no, I never played football, only tennis and golf) and I roll around alot when I sleep and need the extra room. I would really prefer a free-standing tent as its easier to move once up and to shake out the leaves and crud. However, I like the option to be able to use only the fly and footprint in hot weather like a tarptent. I looked at the Shires Tarptents, and although the are a great value for the $$ and weight, I like the 2-walled option for 4 season camping. Any other options I'm overlooking?

Palmer
03-23-2005, 18:43
You may want to consider the Kelty Teton or Gunnison. Both are pretty lightweight and freestanding. I got a Teton as a cold weather backup for my hammock. It's inexpensive, but doesn't seem too durable.

The Solemates
03-23-2005, 19:00
We like the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II, a single wall tent. We used it on our thru and subsequent trips since then. It has over 3000 miles on it and no durability issues to date. Its light, and big. Mine weighs in (including all stakes, poles, tie-outs, and groundcloth) at 3lbs 14oz. I am 6'4", 220lbs and my wife is 5'2", 135lbs. Our dog is a black and tan coonhound, about 55lbs. We fit all three of us plus all of our gear into this tent without much of a problem. Its really long, so our dog sleeps at our foot and we still have plenty of stretch room. Cant beat that for the weight. $250, although I got mine for $210 on sale.

lumpy
03-23-2005, 20:36
Great Pics Solemates, I assume that some are from the AT except for Graceland (I thought it was your home before I read the caption) and the ATV pics. I intend to check out those tents. I intend to purchase my tent by the end of this month so I can break it in before my thru-hike next year.

Shoe Leather Express
03-23-2005, 20:53
We like the Mtn Hardwear Waypoint II, a single wall tent. We used it on our thru and subsequent trips since then. It has over 3000 miles on it and no durability issues to date. Its light, and big. Mine weighs in (including all stakes, poles, tie-outs, and groundcloth) at 3lbs 14oz. I am 6'4", 220lbs and my wife is 5'2", 135lbs. Our dog is a black and tan coonhound, about 55lbs. We fit all three of us plus all of our gear into this tent without much of a problem. Its really long, so our dog sleeps at our foot and we still have plenty of stretch room. Cant beat that for the weight. $250, although I got mine for $210 on sale.
That's the tent I was going to suggest.

Get it at Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39168334&memberId=12500226) for $249.

CAPACITY 2
Min Wt 3 lbs. 2 oz.
Pkg Wt 3 lbs. 8 oz.
Dimensions 7 ft. 4 in. x 4 ft. 6 in.
Area (Sq. Ft.) 32.5
Int Height 2 ft. 11 in.
Pack Size 18 in. x 6 in.
No. of Poles 1 + strut
Pole Size 8.88mm
Pole Material Atlas Scandium SL Aluminum
No. of Doors 2
Hooded Fly No
No. of Windows 1
Gear Loft None
Floor Material 2.5 oz. 70D nylon taffeta 2000mm coating
Fly Material 1.9 oz. 30D ripstop nylon silicone outer/urethane inner coating1500mm coating
Wall Material 1.9 oz. 30D ripstop nylon silicone outer/urethane inner coating1500mm coating
Roof Material 1.9 oz. 30D ripstop nylon silicone outer/urethane inner coating1500mm coating
Netting 1.4 oz. 24D tricot nylon no-see-um
Color Fly: Olive, Body: Olive, Floor: Blue
Style 1 hoop single wall
Activities Ultralight Backpacking, Canoeing, Kayaking
Use 3 season
Special Features UVX fly window, CrossFlow ventilation, welded and taped seams.

Shoe Leather Express
03-23-2005, 21:27
Same tent, same site, different link. Don't know why. On sale for $220.

Campmor (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=39168284&memberId=12500226)

Roland
03-23-2005, 21:42
Lumpy,

I've owned a Sierra Designs Lightning. I have nothing but good things to say about this traditional, double-walled tent. Just like you, I studied many different options. Some highlights of the Lightning include:

*Very large door opening, makes access easy
*Large mesh areas, enhance ventilation, reduce condensation
*Steep wall sections, maximize living space
*Bathtub floor
*The tent clips to poles, so it's not necessary to thread poles through sleeves
*Easy set-up
*Solid construction

I also looked at the REI Quarter Dome tent. It had some features that I liked:

*Cheaper than the SD Lightning
*Has two doors instead of one

I selected the SD Lightning over the Quarter Dome because:

*I've owned tents with pole sleeves, and dislike threading long poles through the them. I prefer the clips on the Sierra Designs tent.
*The Lightning has more floor space

More recently I have purchased a Squall II by Henry Shires. The motivation for this purchase, was primarily weight savings, not a dislike of the Lightning. I don't know why you have discounted tarp tents, but I would encourage to investigate all options before making your purchase.

Good luck with your selection.

Roland

schwenkler
03-24-2005, 00:46
Thought I'd mention the Europa just because you said you like the tarp tent but want double-wall.

36 oz (2lb, 2 oz) $290

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=40

FFTorched
03-24-2005, 01:40
If you go to http://www.backcountry.com they usually have at least one decent 2 or 3 man tent on sale that is fairly light weight. They had a nice MSR on sale wednesday but it's off now unfortunately (had me tempted). Here is their tent sales page. http://www.backcountry.com/store/subcat/28/sale/Tents.html

bulldog49
03-24-2005, 10:15
I've been thinking about the MH Waypoint, but I read some reviews that condensation was a major problem for this tent. I was ready to buy it until I read that. Was that a problem for any of you on the AT?

The Solemates
03-24-2005, 10:35
I've been thinking about the MH Waypoint, but I read some reviews that condensation was a major problem for this tent. I was ready to buy it until I read that. Was that a problem for any of you on the AT?

You have to know how to set this tent up. After only a couple of weeks on the trail, you will have it down to a science. Every stake and the rear guy-out must be as tight as possible. This not only increases the interior room of the tent, but it also increases air flow through the tent. Additionally, we always keep the bottom zipper of both doors unzipped (there is a door on each side and each one has two zippers, one that opens the tent vertically, and one that parallels the ground horizontally). There is a sufficient overhang on the outside that even in a huge rain deluge you will not ever get wet (if the tent body is taut). The way you set up the tent is important as well. We have found that this order works the best:

make sure the vertical door zippers are closed first, or else they won't once you set it up. Insert the pole. 1) Secure both of the FRONT stakes (ie, those at the head). Pull them as far apart as possible. The seams will take a lot of stress and the sil-nylon will stretch, so dont be afraid youre going to rip it. Then, 2) secure 2 of the 3 BACK stakes (ie, those at the extreme foot, except the guy-out). Pull these as far from the front stakes as possible, but leave slack in the other direction for the guy-out pole. 4) Go back and stake down the other 4 side stakes tightly. 5) Lastly, and this is the most important step, find a large rock for the guy-out pole. I like a rock that is flat on two ends and about 6-8 inches tall. Place this rock under the guy-out pole in order to raise your tent that much more. Personally, I think the pole is too short and 6-8 more inches would pitch a better tent, but Im sure MH did it for a reason (probably weight, which is fine with me, since a rock probably works better). I find that not only does it pitch it better, but it gives the pole something to dig into. Otherwise, the pole digs into the ground, decreasing your interior space and air flow.

On a nice night, we sometimes leave the doors open.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jcartne/detail?.dir=2ea4&.dnm=d425.jpg&.src=ph
(also notice the rock in the photo).

With this set-up, rarely do we have condensation. On a rainy or snowy night, or a very crystal clear, cold night, we may get some, but not all that much to worry about. Only a little on the inside of the walls, but no more than you would have with double wall tents. I have had 3 other double wall tents and have spent many nights in them, so i feel I can justify this claim.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: I failed to mention the ease with which this tent sets up. Despite my long-winded response, we can usually set the tent up in about 2.5 minutes.

The Solemates
03-24-2005, 10:36
Great Pics Solemates, I assume that some are from the AT except for Graceland (I thought it was your home before I read the caption) and the ATV pics. I intend to check out those tents. I intend to purchase my tent by the end of this month so I can break it in before my thru-hike next year.

All the ones labeled AT are of the AT. :)
All the ones labeled OT-AT are from our friend Officer Taco who walked the trail the same year as us.
All picture albums are labeled with their respective locations.

tank17
03-24-2005, 12:21
I thru hiked the A/T last year and I carried the Black Diamond tent I"m pretty sure it comes in two styles(side door and end door). It weighed 3.0 lbs including stakes and all. It set up fast and dried quickly. I saw a lot of tents but none better. I got mine from REI. I think with some discounts it was in your price range. I don't know what they are selling for now but it's worth checking out. I also had enough room to get all my gear inside and be really comfortable.

The Solemates
03-24-2005, 12:34
I thru hiked the A/T last year and I carried the Black Diamond tent I"m pretty sure it comes in two styles(side door and end door). It weighed 3.0 lbs including stakes and all. It set up fast and dried quickly. I saw a lot of tents but none better. I got mine from REI. I think with some discounts it was in your price range. I don't know what they are selling for now but it's worth checking out. I also had enough room to get all my gear inside and be really comfortable.

I thought this sounded too good to be true. The website says its 3lbs 12oz. Add in stakes, groundcloth, and tie-outs, and your looking at the 4lb 2oz range. Regardless, $370 for a tent! ...and I thought the waypoint was expensive at $200!

http://www.bdel.com/gear/backcountry/shelter.php

The Solemates
03-24-2005, 12:36
The firstlight is 3lbs, but its still $300 and ventilation would have to be a problem in it. There is no mesh at all for air flow. Suffocation.

lumpy
03-26-2005, 12:27
Thanks again for all your input. I paid a visit to my local outfitter and ended up purhasing the REI Quarter Dome for $220.00 and they threw in the footprint for free as well. I've been practicing setting it up and packing it a few times and got it down to setting it in under 2mins and packing it in under 4mins. Of course, it was in my living room with no weather conditions or uneven ground but I like it nontheless. I'm planning a weeklong hike in SNP next month to really test it out.

NICKTHEGREEK
03-26-2005, 16:33
They are showing up for right around 200.00 now on sale. I've read lots of very good reviews of this tent particularly at the "gear Guy" at outside magazine. He's mentioned it very approvingly 3 or 4 times recently. I was skeptical about durability, but with your miles and a big dog inside too, it seems like a real winner. Are you using a factory groundsheet or homemade? Any seam sealing issues?

Panzer1
03-26-2005, 21:48
The qualities that make the Black Diamond/Bibler "Firstlight" a bad summer tent also make it a good winter tent.

I have the sister version, made with a different fabric, called the I-Tent.
I used it for about 15 years. When the floor finally wore out I called them and they wanted $400 plus tax to replace just the floor. I asked them, Why so much to replace the floor. Basically because in the time it would take them to replace the floor they could build a new tent. They make more money selling new tents. I told them I wasn't going to pay that much for a new floor.

They do make good tents for people who don't have to worry about the price.

Bottom line is don't expect them to do any repairs for you.

Panzer

PS their tents are now made in China.

hikin' trailmule
03-26-2005, 22:24
I have a Eureka Zeus Expo,2-man- and it withstoood a 3 hour hailstorm in Yosemite @ 12000 feet without any damage at all. I am vertically challenged (5'2) and have plenty of room in if I'm by myself. If i'm doubling up, however, it is a bit snug...

NICKTHEGREEK
03-28-2005, 07:41
The qualities that make the Black Diamond/Bibler "Firstlight" a bad summer tent also make it a good winter tent.

I have the sister version, made with a different fabric, called the I-Tent.
I used it for about 15 years. When the floor finally wore out I called them and they wanted $400 plus tax to replace just the floor. I asked them, Why so much to replace the floor. Basically because in the time it would take them to replace the floor they could build a new tent. They make more money selling new tents. I told them I wasn't going to pay that much for a new floor.

They do make good tents for people who don't have to worry about the price.

Bottom line is don't expect them to do any repairs for you.

Panzer

PS their tents are now made in China.I'd be positively overjoyed if I had a tent that lasted 15 years and cost 400.00.

Jewels
03-28-2005, 07:48
I purchased my Hubba Hubba on Ebay for $210. Mine only has one door though and you have to crawl over the other person to get out at night if you have to take a potty run. I see they saw this as a problem and the new model has two doors.

JEWELS

GA->ME and everything in between

The Solemates
03-28-2005, 10:00
They are showing up for right around 200.00 now on sale. I've read lots of very good reviews of this tent particularly at the "gear Guy" at outside magazine. He's mentioned it very approvingly 3 or 4 times recently. I was skeptical about durability, but with your miles and a big dog inside too, it seems like a real winner. Are you using a factory groundsheet or homemade? Any seam sealing issues?

We seam sealed our tent when we first got it and havent since, although it could probably use another coating.

We just bought 2 mil painters cloth at Home Depot, which is what we use for a groundcloth. It is cut to the exact dimensions of the tent.

tank17
03-29-2005, 11:08
To set the record straight, My tent was weighed two or three times and it always was close to three lbs. that was everything but the ground cloth, and I used an industrial garbage bag for that. It also has a mesh door along with a side window also mesh that provided more than adequate ventilation. I did however underestimate what I paid for it. $270.00 after a 2o pecent discount for joining REI. I see that you have purchased a tent already and I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice. Happy hiking.

bulldog49
03-29-2005, 12:31
To set the record straight, My tent was weighed two or three times and it always was close to three lbs. that was everything but the ground cloth, and I used an industrial garbage bag for that. It also has a mesh door along with a side window also mesh that provided more than adequate ventilation. I did however underestimate what I paid for it. $270.00 after a 2o pecent discount for joining REI. I see that you have purchased a tent already and I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice. Happy hiking.

Tank, which tent did you use, the Lighthouse or the Firstlight? I've been considering them and would appreciate your evaluation. Despite what Solemate says without ever using the tent, reviews from actual users on Backpacker Gear test seemed quite happy with it.

Jack Tarlin
03-29-2005, 13:12
Lumpy:

The Mountain Hardware PCT 2 is in the same weight class as the MSR Zoid 2 and the SD Lightning 2; at $175.00, it's also cheaper.

For what it's worth, I carried the same Mountain Hardware tent on seven consecutive thru-hikes, and I still use it today. Great company, great products.

The Solemates
03-29-2005, 16:22
Tank, which tent did you use, the Lighthouse or the Firstlight? I've been considering them and would appreciate your evaluation. Despite what Solemate says without ever using the tent, reviews from actual users on Backpacker Gear test seemed quite happy with it.

No, Ive never used the tent. I was just trying to get the facts straight. The website lists it at heavier and more expensive than what was posted, thats all.

bulldog49
03-29-2005, 17:13
I don't know if your assumption about airflow in the tent is correct based upon some reviews I've read. That's what I'd like to hear about from Tank. You were correct about the price and weight.

The Firstlight has a mesh front door and a mesh back wall vent supposedly allowing cross ventilation.

http://www.biblertents.com/2002/firstlight.html

tank17
03-30-2005, 10:51

Bulldog,
I actually used the Lighthouse, but had the opportunity to hike with someone with a firstlite. The difference was that my tent opened from the side and it was a lot easier to get in and out of. I had to seam seal the part of the tent that the poles pressed against.(they are inside). The air flow with the vent and door opened a little handled condensation nicely. Don't think any single walled tent is going to be free of condensation but it can be managed. I went through some pretty good wind and rain, and this tent was up to the test. It would only take a short time for it to dry. I struggled with the cost but in the end I think it was worth it. I saw a lot of tents, most in the 4lb. range, and were adequate for the task. Some were not. Happy hiking.

Skyline
03-30-2005, 11:37
I have one of the Eureka Zeus EXO 2's, and I have been very pleased.

It is not as prone to condensation as you might think (being a single wall), and it can be free-standing enough if necessary. I would recommend it highly.

Glory Bound
GA->ME '05

I used the Zeus 2 for a couple of years before switching to the Six Moon Designs Europa II last year. I'd give it a B-minus grade--not bad. The Zeus 2 got me through much of Maine during 2003--arguably the wettest year ever on the AT. Out of 23 days, it rained and/or was in fog 19 days.

Condensation was definitely an issue with the Zeus 2, however. Doesn't matter how I set it up or where--except on a clear, low-humidity night with a bit of a breeze (that ONE night), there was significant condensation. But those using plain silnylon tarps had condensation in the kind of weather we had in Maine, too. And tents with rainflys (double-walls) had condensation on the underside of the flys, which of course dripped through any mesh right below it.

I got by with the Zeus 2 and all its condensation by carrying several of those re-usable Shop Towels that come on a roll (mine are blue) sold at auto parts stores, Wal-Mart, etc. It was only about a five minute job to wipe down the interior before packing up in the AM; and it was sometimes prudent to do the same in the PM before putting gear inside the tent for the night. The Shop Towels ring out well, dry in a few minutes if you can catch a breeze without rain, and are re-usable for several days; even if you can't actually get them dry they are still pretty effective at sopping up condensation.

The other major complaint about the Zeus 2 is that the zippers snag. True, but once or twice fighting with it and you'll learn a technique to deal with that issue. Just use your little finger while zipping up to block the nylon "lip" (that protects the zipper from rain) from meshing with the zipper teeth. Problem solved.

The Zeus 2 is relatively lightweight, is inexpensive, has PLENTY of interior space including ample headroom, and sets up really fast. One of its best advantages: If you remember to zip it up in the morning before you pack it away, you can set it up in the rain that night and rain drops getting inside the tent are minimal. It is technically free-standing, but you'll get more useable interior space if you stake it out.

Still, I like the Europa II that I now use better, tho it costs a lot more than the Zeus 2. It's about half the weight, has less condensation, has more interior room, and also sets up fast. They call it a tarp-tent but it's more tent than tarp IMHO.

bulldog49
03-30-2005, 13:46
Bulldog,
I actually used the Lighthouse, but had the opportunity to hike with someone with a firstlite. The difference was that my tent opened from the side and it was a lot easier to get in and out of. I had to seam seal the part of the tent that the poles pressed against.(they are inside). The air flow with the vent and door opened a little handled condensation nicely. Don't think any single walled tent is going to be free of condensation but it can be managed. I went through some pretty good wind and rain, and this tent was up to the test. It would only take a short time for it to dry. I struggled with the cost but in the end I think it was worth it. I saw a lot of tents, most in the 4lb. range, and were adequate for the task. Some were not. Happy hiking.

Thanks Tank, that jives with other reports I've read. I'm on the small side and think the Firstlight will work for me. It's the lightest free standing tent I'm aware of.

"ME & U"
03-30-2005, 15:06
I've got a budget of $200.00 to $250.00 MAX and have narrowed it down to the following free-standing tents (not interested in tarp tents but would like to use that option with these):

1. MSR Zoid 2, weight 4lbs 10oz $199.00

2. Sierra Designs Lightning 2P, weight 4lbs 9oz, $249.99

3. Eureka Zeus EXO 2P, weight 3lbs 4oz, $139.95 (not really freestanding)

4. REI Quarter Dome, weight 4lbs 4oz, $219.00

5. I really like the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 and MSR Hubba Hubba, but are out of my price range.

Any other tents I need to look at or feedback would be appreciated.

Lumpy
hey lumpy
as an outfitter, i have a few suggestions. although the tents you mentioned are great, i'd personally leave out the Zeus. I thru hiked the AT in 2003 and the zeus was one of my tent trials and errors. The vestibule zipper leaves the insides open to rain on a nasty morning exit and the two of "US" we're clamy as all heck with the condensation factor.
I've also had experience with the Zoid. It's a great tent and worth the money but crampy and also condensates big time with two.
219.00 for an REI tent... forget about it! EMS has a better tent for less the money, check them out.
Seirra Designs is at the top of your list. The poles are carbon fibered and bombproof, the tent body is super ventilated, and the rain fly is tsunami proof. A huge plus is the side entrance with it's awning set up capability and it's lightweightness. One downer for this type of tent is only one entrance for a two person set up (somebody's crawlin over to take that midnight squirt), the other is the price tag... 219/249? spend the extra, it's totaly worth it!
The Black Diamond Betamid ended up being our favorite tent on the long haul.
It's not a freestanding tent but has all the best features anyway. A huge living space, all bug screen, packs at 2 pounds each, save a few extras like stakes, rope, ect for the stronger hiker. Is versital in terms of set up. Bug house/fly, bug house alone, fly alone, whatever you can come up with...
another good tent worth looking at is the MSR HUBBA HUBBA SOLO. I've never slept in one but have played with it at my store. It's a sweet set up, big enough for two and cheaper.
Any reason you haven't thought hammock?
My girlfriend and I thru hiked together and after all our efforts in tenting, found that the answer lies in the hammocking.
They're cheap, lightweight, super comfortable, roomy with a good tarp, and can be used on the ground if needed as a bivy.
The best part is that sex in a hammock rocks and you won't know until you try...
Best of luck
"U"

lumpy
03-31-2005, 16:31
Following up on my last post, even though I set up and packed the REI Quarter Dome up to 20 times in the last week, I ended up having a problem with the zipper not meshing properly. Long story short, I returned it to my outfitter and they refunded my $$ no questions asked. I then paid a visit to another outfitter that carried the MSR HUBBA HUBBA, man what a difference in construction. I'm glad I did and having paid an additional $65.00, it was well worth the extra money. As far as a hammock is concerened I sleep on my stomach which won't work in a hammock very well and I prefer being on the ground.........vertigo.