PDA

View Full Version : Any reviews of the reliability of Steripen Adventurer Opti?

ScottS
03-01-2012, 02:12
Has anyone used one for and extended period of time and can talk about their experience?
My Steripen Classic became very unreliable after a few weeks, as did my friend's Journey LCD. We would just get red lights 95% of the time despite new batteries and good care. I'm still infatuated with the idea of instantly available water, though, and I'm hoping to hear some reviews from people who have spent a good amount of time with the Adventurer Opti.

q-tip
03-01-2012, 09:50
I used the Classic which broke after 4 weeks. Used the Opti, had to get them to send a second after the replacement killed the batteries. THEY CHARGED ME $50 FOR SHIPPING-$20 MORE THAN THE PRICE OF THE SHIPPING,AND THE SECOND ONE THEY CHARGED ME $40. iF THEY CAN'T MAKE MONEY ON THE PRODUCT THEY SHOULD JUST CLOSE UP, MAKING MONEY ON THE SHIPPING FOR A THRU-HIKER IS MOST FOUL!!!!!

Spokes
03-01-2012, 11:14
Big waste of money. Their units were plagued with problems as far back as 2009 when thru hikers kept getting red light errors. SteriPen customer service blamed the problem on using the wrong batteries. It ended up being a problem with the sensor probe being unable to detect enough electrolytes in the water causing the unit to shut down prematurely. The company supposedly corrected the problem in subsequent units. You decide on that one...... Hmmmmm.

So why risk it? There's plenty of better and more reliable water treatment options.

Let's just be thankful SteriPen isnt in the business of packing parachutes.

moof53
03-01-2012, 12:10
Been using Steripen for about a year on short duration hikes just to get a feel for it and have had no problems. As far as the sensor on the device it is advisable to dry it with a rag or something after each individual use. Treat a bottle of water, dry the sensors, treat another bottle, etc.

Miner
03-01-2012, 12:24
It ended up being a problem with the sensor probe being unable to detect enough electrolytes in the water causing the unit to shut down prematurely. The company supposedly corrected the problem in subsequent units. You decide on that one...... Hmmmmm. The solution many people had for that issue was adding a tiny pinch of salt if they got the error which usually took care of the problem (stuipid wilderness areas with pure water). But the new units supposedly don't need it. My hiking buddy on the PCT in 2009 used an older classic and other then the issue mentioned above in the High Sierra portion (and the solution) loved using it. Due to feedback from someone I met who used an Adventure Opti for 4months straight, I'm seriously thinking of taking one for the the AT as I hate the waiting for using Aqua Mira. His only issue was finding batteries at a small store in the middle of nowhere.

ChinMusic
03-01-2012, 12:27
I have used the Classic and now the Adventurer Opti for years with no problems. YMMV

Spokes
03-01-2012, 14:36
The solution many people had for that issue was adding a tiny pinch of salt if they got the error which usually took care of the problem (stuipid wilderness areas with pure water)....

Yep, I heard of the SteriPen customer service reps actually telling people to either add some Gatroade to their water or to "spit" in their water so the probe sensor could detect the mineral content and not register a fault.

That's just inherently wrong and indicative of a POC device.

Transient Being
03-01-2012, 15:38
Mine lasted like 3 days.

ChinMusic
03-01-2012, 15:44
All this talk of "spitting" and "salt" is ANCIENT history. That was only for the very first Classic models where if the water source was totally devoid of minerals the sensors could not detect that the device was IN water.

There was also an issue of keeping the pins dry on the Classic.

NEITHER of these issues have ANYTHING to do with the Opti. The Opti does not require the water to have a set amount of minerals and does not even have pins.

It would be helpful if folks that actually use and understand the instrument do the typing. The Opti works just fine, but I never had a problem with my Classic either.

If one is a technophobe, by all means, steer clear.

Dogger
03-01-2012, 16:17
I have the adventurer with about 7 weeks on it. The longest hike beening a little over 3 weeks in the U.P. of Michigan. I agree with moof53 treat a bottle, wipe it of, repeat. Have not had any problems. Yes batteries can be a challange to find.

Spokes
03-01-2012, 18:05
All this talk of "spitting" and "salt" is ANCIENT history. ......

NEITHER of these issues have ANYTHING to do with the Opti. The Opti does not require the water to have a set amount of minerals and does not even have pins....

Any company worth its "salt" would have issued a recall order on all the defective models and offered refunds or the option to have a newer model sent out free of charge.

Instead, it sounds like SteriPen customers just got the probe..... ouch!

I'm glad your device works and you're happy ChinMusic. I'm just not convinced this company or device has a sufficient track record for me to support it.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 18:13
The technology is sound,though the circuitry needs some bugs worked out,and it will.But that will/could ultimately dictate into a cost to the consumer.Larger chemical plants,process plants and many others are using UV light even in residential dwellings.If I had one,I'd use it on the trail as well.But I also would use a filter(for the floaters and mechanical removal)as in addiction too.

ChinMusic
03-01-2012, 19:43
I just don't like folks panning a product with hearsay.

Spokes
03-01-2012, 20:14
I just don't like folks panning a product with hearsay.

I can only go on personal experience (yep, I own one and say with confidence it's a POC) and read what others report.

Case in point: Poor Kat P. who's owned 4 SteriPens and all have failed. This thread, in another forum, is about as recent as you can get. Read it HERE (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60138&startat=40)

Sure every product has it's share of lemons. So buyer beware.

QiWiz
03-01-2012, 20:51
I have used the Classic and now the Adventurer Opti for years with no problems. YMMV

Sounds like some lemons out there. Mine has worked well for me for 2 weeks in Nepal, on the AT for 3 weeks, in Olympic NP for 8 days, in the Winds for 10 days. Rarely got a red light and just wiped it dry and tried again and all was fine. So some units are OK and maybe some others are not. I have the Adventurer, I think, purchased about 2-3 years ago. I would always have another way to treat water, just in case. Aqua Mira is that way for me.

Jim Adams
03-02-2012, 01:55
still using my classic past 5 years w/o any problems...love it!

batteries in a small bounce box and change them before they are dead.

geek

ScottS
03-02-2012, 04:22
Thanks for all the replies.
I'm a little hazy and how many of you actually have the Adventurer Opti - the topic of the thread. Could you help clarify that for me?

moof53
03-02-2012, 13:13
Sorry about that. Thought you were wondering about the technology more than the model. I have a Journey LCD. No problems.

Bucho
03-10-2012, 18:00
I saw a lot of defective steripens last year. Most of them weren't adventure opti's but then I saw very few adventure opti's. I did run into a couple who had the loose battery problem with it and a guy who had an optical sensor issue.

Personally, considering Hydro-Photon's track record I wouldn't depend on a steripen.

Camelbak, has gotten into the UV business, anybody used this? http://www.cabelas.com/water-purification-camelbak-uv-filter-bottle-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=1322155&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=93FD06E9-074E-E111-BC1B-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

hunter121
03-11-2012, 04:11
Really good thread.I like this!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif