PDA

View Full Version : Why are maps one-sided?

Ktaadn
03-01-2012, 13:25
I don't know if all AT maps are only printed on one side but everyone that I've seen is. Does anyone know why this is? I know that they are mostly printed by the local clubs, but every other map I own is printed on both sides. It doesn't matter if it is from National Geographic or a small state park. It seems to me that they are wasting paper and wasting weight in my pack. Do the printers believe that people only want to buy maps 20-30 miles at a time? Do they think they are generating greater revenues by forcing you to buy more pieces of paper? I would gladly pay double for 2 maps on one piece of paper. Does it really cost that much more for two-sided printing?
:confused::mad:

At least the PATC managed to get all of MD on one sheet of paper(2 maps printed on one side).
:rolleyes:

jburgasser
03-01-2012, 13:35
The Georgia and North Carolina maps, both bought online through the A.T. store via their website, are 2 sided.

JB

Skid.
03-01-2012, 14:02
No, they're not. The longer you hike the AT, the more you will realize this, as I have. My guess is that you will see more in the future, as they are reprinted.

dzierzak
03-01-2012, 14:09
PA sections 1-6 (Delaware Water Gap to Swatara Gap - 2-sided - Keystone Trails Assoc
PA sections 7-8 (Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap) - 1-sided
NY-NJ maps 3-4 (NY17A to Delaware Water Gap) - 2-sided - NY-NJ Trail Conf
NY-NJ maps 1-2 (Conn state line to NY17A) - 2-sided

All 4 bought within the past two years from ATC. I just happened to have these with me today.

vamelungeon
03-01-2012, 14:26
My NatGeo Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands map is 2 sided.

Ktaadn
03-01-2012, 14:29
No, they're not. The longer you hike the AT, the more you will realize this, as I have. My guess is that you will see more in the future, as they are reprinted.

This is good to hear. I guess my MD, VA maps are getting old. Hopefully the newer ones are two sided. Thanks.

bgood360
03-01-2012, 14:34
It's just my [uneducated] guess but I'm going to suggest that it could be due to the fact that many times duplex printing is more expensive than single-sided printing, even when two sheets/pages are required.

However, I don't really consider the back side to ever be blank, it's just a free map of the more remote parts of Antarctica.

Rain Man
03-01-2012, 15:07
In my one thousand miles of Southern experience so far, I'd say about 90% of the ATC trail maps are printed on both sides.

Rain Man

ki0eh
03-01-2012, 15:16
However, I don't really consider the back side to ever be blank, it's just a free map of the more remote parts of Antarctica.

I gotta remember this one. :D

I think the main reason is that some map-makers are not really plugged into the thru-hiker community. PATC maps may be a case in point, sometimes it seems volunteers with that outfit listen as well as they do in their day jobs with the government. ;)

Skid.
03-01-2012, 15:37
This is good to hear. I guess my MD, VA maps are getting old. Hopefully the newer ones are two sided. Thanks.

Could be. My Second Edition Central VA maps are two-sided, as are my 4th Edition Southwest VA maps. Every ounce helps!

Rocket Jones
03-01-2012, 18:03
All three maps for Shenandoah NP are two sided.

hikerboy57
03-01-2012, 19:20
have you looked on the other side?

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 19:45
have you looked on the other side?Maybe some twisted map maker at the map maker factory used "Disappearing Ink"

brian039
03-01-2012, 20:06
I've never seen a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map that wasn't 2-sided.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 20:14
I've never seen a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map that wasn't 2-sided.Ya know,there's always two sides to a story.

BabySue
03-02-2012, 11:18
Cuneiform tablets sometimes had writing on the edges too.

coach lou
03-02-2012, 12:01
My B**** about those maps, is the orientation. Why on the new map of Ct/ Mass' the AT runs eat -west!?!?!?

Ktaadn
03-02-2012, 12:18
I've never seen a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map that wasn't 2-sided.

Mine are too. That is what I meant when I said, "every other map I own is printed on both sides. It doesn't matter if it is from National Geographic or a small state park." I apologize for not being more clear.

Looks like my PATC maps were last revised in 2006 so in theory the newer ones are two sided. I was recently looking at AT maps of southern PA in the store and they were only one sided. Maybe I just live near the wrong part of the trail...

hikerboy57
03-02-2012, 14:18
My B**** about those maps, is the orientation. Why on the new map of Ct/ Mass' the AT runs eat -west!?!?!?my bigger issue is most of the atc guide books are written with a SOBO inclination.(i understand the hewbrew version is NOBO.

Rain Man
03-02-2012, 17:30
my bigger issue is most of the atc guide books are written with a SOBO inclination.(i understand the hewbrew version is NOBO.

Yes, that is exceedingly provincial and sad, since 90% of hikers hike NOBO. Heck, you can't even look at a page and subtract mileage, without standing on your head. Stupidity, in my book. Pun intended.

The one saving grace in Awol's book is the elevation profile goes the "right" way, so that's a trade-off in his version, which might make it worthwhile.

Rain:sunMan

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 18:42
Yes, that is exceedingly provincial and sad, since 90% of hikers hike NOBO. Heck, you can't even look at a page and subtract mileage, without standing on your head. Stupidity, in my book. Pun intended.

The one saving grace in Awol's book is the elevation profile goes the "right" way, so that's a trade-off in his version, which might make it worthwhile.

Rain:sunMan

.I do not understand why this has not been changed,it seems the majority of folks would like to see it the other way around.What drives this decision?I bought AWOLs book because I like books and maps(even though I'm a proud wannbe with no intention of doing the whole trail any time soon)and think it is written very well...wouldn't change a thing,well maybe one thing........just so I too could B****!;)

waasj
04-12-2012, 08:08
Pretty sure if a map has one side, by default there has to be a back. Now whether or not anything is PRINTED on the back remains in question. I agree with Rainman, all the recent maps I have used in the southern half have been printed on two sides. A bit of history, My first NC trail guide was bound wih screws so you could recieve updated maps/notes, take the book apart, remove the old material and replace it. THOSE maps were one sided and not much more than rough sketches on unlaminated paper.

Oh, and the trail was all uphill and it rained/snowed every day and our parents STILL made us walk!! Don't get me started on how we had to keep the string tight to make the phones work back then...

Spokes
04-12-2012, 08:17
Why are maps one-sided? The better question is: "Why are maps flat?"

Because the Earth is flat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society) not an oblate spheroid, silly.

rocketsocks
04-12-2012, 23:05

Because the Earth is flat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society) not an oblate spheroid, silly.I always get nervous when I get near the edge of the map.

SassyWindsor
04-12-2012, 23:51
My older ATC guide books are styled for the SOBO hiker. I would have thought by now they would be reversed and favor the NOBO hiker. As stated above, the percentage of NOBO hikers far, far outnumber the SOBO ones. This makes me suspicious.:confused:

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 00:28

Because the Earth is flat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society) not an oblate spheroid, silly.Spokes,So just for fun,I clicked on your link"Earth is flat"and am amazed at what I found....A hole the flatearthsociety of nuts...........Cool.

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 00:32
Spokes,So just for fun,I clicked on your link"Earth is flat"and am amazed at what I found....A hole the flat earth society of nuts...........Cool.Oops theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

mrcoffeect
04-13-2012, 04:49

Ive been to that place in antarctica, and ive got to tell you those maps are spot on.:banana

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 06:25
I have some of the maps where my father has written in the margins and on the backs of some trips our family took......very cool to revisit every now and again.

kombiguy
04-13-2012, 06:27
Pretty sure if a map has one side, by default there has to be a back.

One might think. But my mother was so frugal, she could slice bologna so thin it only had one side!

Wise Old Owl
04-13-2012, 08:56
Ya know,there's always two sides to a story.

You must have changed your mind... stop flip-flopping like that....

rocketsocks
04-13-2012, 09:05
You must have changed your mind... stop flip-flopping like that....ooh busted ....big time,LOL