PDA

View Full Version : What do you store your denatured alcohol in?

Hennessy
03-01-2012, 13:52
Will a Gatorade bottle work? Plastic soda bottle maybe? How caustic is the stuff? Will it eat through "non-approved" containers?

Searched for this first... Couldn't find an answer, so figured I'd ask ;)

Megapixel
03-01-2012, 13:55
i've had some sitting in a 16oz plastic soda bottle for near a year and no problems.

RyGuy
03-01-2012, 13:56
they sell little plastic fuel bottles @ REI. You could use a gatorade bottle but i would never carry that much fuel.

Hennessy
03-01-2012, 14:12
Meant the smaller Gatorade bottles. I can imagine hauling one of the big ones... No thanks. My pack is heavy enough at 25 lbs... ;)

vamelungeon
03-01-2012, 14:24
A plastic Coca-Cola bottle. Coke isn't clear and I don't often drink soft drinks, so there's no confusion. I put some green food dye in it last year at someone's suggestion but it was unnecessary.

Spokes
03-01-2012, 14:29
15 oz. Tropicana Orange Juice bottle works great. Or go to the liqour store and use the small plastic flask type bottle that cheap whiskey comes in. They're super easy to carry in an outside pack pocket.

Cheers!

Rayo
03-01-2012, 15:20
I got a 12 oz plastic orangish bottle from the pharmacy. It's leak-proof. Just ask for one, they're free.

swjohnsey
03-01-2012, 15:31
About the lightest bottle you can get is a drinking water bottle. I use a generic 8 oz bottle that I have been carrying for more than a thousand miles. They look fragile but are very tough.

RWheeler
03-01-2012, 15:34
15 oz. Tropicana Orange Juice bottle works great. Or go to the liqour store and use the small plastic flask type bottle that cheap whiskey comes in. They're super easy to carry in an outside pack pocket.

Cheers!

Plus whiskey.

Rocket Jones
03-01-2012, 18:08
I use a couple different bottles, depending on how much I need to carry. My largest is a plastic 7-up bottle. The pros to this are that the bottle is green and all my drinking bottles are clear and it's also shaped unlike anything I drink from. I do store it in a ziplock, just in case, but it's never leaked.

Hooch
03-01-2012, 18:34
I just got a 16oz generic baby shampoo bottle at Big Lots and it works perfect. It's flat, so it fits in my pack easy, has a flip to for dispensing and is easy to refill.

moytoy
03-01-2012, 19:02
Whatever you use make sure you can pour out of it without spilling.

rocketsocks
03-01-2012, 19:16
I was given a Aluminum "Coke bottle"last summer at a restaurant in Virginia beach,looked for them after that and could find a one.

LIhikers
03-02-2012, 00:02
I carry my alcohol stove fuel in almost rectangular, plastic bottles that I get mouthwash in.
I have the same sort of bottle in a few different sizes. Then I always carry my water in round bottles. The difference in shape makes it hard to get the fuel bottle confused with a water bottle.

Bronk
03-02-2012, 01:03
I carry mine in a paper bag. But whatever container you use, if it is not an "approved" container make sure that it is clearly labeled so that someone doesn't accidentally drink it. I painted a skull and cross bones on the container I use and labeled it "Alcohol Stove Fuel." Imagine what would happen if you passed out and someone decided to grab your "water bottle" and give you a drink to try and revive you...I know, giving an unconscious person something to drink is not the brightest thing to do, but someone may decide to try it.

rocketsocks
03-02-2012, 01:18
I carry mine in a paper bag. But whatever container you use, if it is not an "approved" container make sure that it is clearly labeled so that someone doesn't accidentally drink it. I painted a skull and cross bones on the container I use and labeled it "Alcohol Stove Fuel." Imagine what would happen if you passed out and someone decided to grab your "water bottle" and give you a drink to try and revive you...I know, giving an unconscious person something to drink is not the brightest thing to do, but someone may decide to try it.Wow,I was all prepared to lay into anyone that would go in another persons pack,but you make such a good point here.Think I'll paint mine tomorrow.good call!

Amanita
03-02-2012, 01:24
As a college student, I'm as worried about someone thinking it's vodka as thinking it's water. Some of my friends drink really ****ty vodka, and might not notice the difference. I use mini plastic coke bottle (12 oz) and labeled it with a "dead face" (x.x) and it says " TOXIC - stove fuel".

Hennessy
03-04-2012, 14:01
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm using a Mountain Dew bottle. I was more worried about whether it would eat through the bottle... never thought about people mistaking it for something else. My bottle is clearly labeled, and I may add some skulls and crossbones or something equally menacing. Never really noticed how much the stuff smells like cheap vodka.

jeffmeh
03-04-2012, 14:28
Contact lens solution bottle, clearly marked. Easy to dispense without spilling.

on_the_GOEZ
03-04-2012, 17:16
Contact lens solution bottle, clearly marked. Easy to dispense without spilling.

4 oz contact lens solution bottle. We made fires almost every night (even when it was raining) so this small bottle of fuel was for emergencies only. More than enough alcohol

Snowleopard
03-04-2012, 18:01
Don't use a soda or water bottle unless you make sure no one will ever mistake it for drinkable, even in the dark. Think of half a dozen hikers each with water in bottles similar to yours, all on the same picnic table in the dark. Don't just label it with a marker, cover it with duct tape. Better is to use a bottle like moytoy's or mouthwash or shampoo bottles, or the yellow Heet bottle. Don't label it alcohol, label it FUEL, POISON.

Drinking methanol by mistake is a medical emergency.